TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I have to drill a hole (how big???) on the front of the block drivers side deck. I think I know the spot but I want to be 100% on the location. If someone could make a dot where I need to drill. Second, what other procedures do I have to perform to make this block work with 2V heads? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

A picture of my 93 Lincoln block

So what happens if you dont drill this hole? It gets real hot with the use of 2V heads.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cooling problems for sure

haha thanks Chris for the picture, I like the "drill me" on there. :thumbsup:

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How big of a hole? How about the front of the block, I think someone said something about drill and tapping for allen screws? Not sure on that. I'm going to have a 99-04 timing cover too. Or how about the two coolant sensors holes on the top of the block what did you do there?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The front cover....one hole doesn't line up. That was using my 97 front cover tho, so I just ran a light bead of RTV along that section of the cover.
---I don't know on a 99 front cover. I think if you hold the 99 cover up to the block you will see where the new hole needs to be drilled. It will be right next to the waterpump location. Drill and tap it with an 8mm tap. I dont think it goes into the water passages, but if it does no big deal just coat the threads with thread sealant.---

The threaded bosses in the valley of the block are knock sensor locations. They were for the DOHC, you wont need them. Although, if you are going with a roots blower kit, that kit may require you to cut those bosses off for clearance.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Copy that, thanks Chris, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

·
Registered
233 Posts
hey josh,
you will need a mate up the 2v timing chain front cover with bolts and use a center punch with the same diameter to get the correct spot, also need a drill stop or you will go through to the water passage.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
So what happens if you dont drill this hole?

Actually this hole is for the high RPM thermostat bypass. Roadrace type motors would want it sealed. At high RPM the water pump bypasses the thermostat some and rotates some of the water back into the radiator to save a few HP.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
as far as size and location.. use the head gasket :)

get a 94-95 tbird front cover and your bolt holes will line up

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that makes sense, why didn't I think of that, lol

I have to use a 99-04 timing cover, going to use a tork tech kit in the spring.

·
Registered
233 Posts
this may or may not apply to your applcation. I was using NPI heads and you obviously have PI heads but we have in common teksid block and allen supercharger, so check first

when i got to my supercharger install, i found out the bypass tube was a bit to deep for the valley that the super charger rested in. I ended up cutting the end of the bypass tube and the bypass valve about a quarter inch each and cut the rubber hose that connects the to length. you'll also have to cy the bypass tube at the top where it goes into the plenum.

the last thing I found was that I had lost about 2lbs. of boost due to higher flowing heads and more duration and lift cam. Before the TEKSID install,In March of 2008 I checked my car on the dyno at 50 degrees F and got 271 hp and 346 ftlbs of torq. After my TEKSID install, in early August, 2008 @ 98 degrees F, 271HP was achieved. I have not run the car on the track so i can't tell how time will be shaved off.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm taking the block the machine shop tomorrow, I'm having them use a head gasket for the correct hole size, but how far are they need to drill this hole?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm kind of worried about getting shavings stuck in the water pump area, will the shavings be a problem? Or is it just easily vacuumed / wiped out?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Drill it dry so the stuff doesn't stick then blow it out. Shouldn't be a problem. If you use a slow speed drill you will get large chips.
Alan

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Copy that, thanks Alan.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later.

·
Super Moderator
10,579 Posts
Stick a shopvac up against the hole location with the smallest tip you have, as you drill it; it will get almost everything.

A big magnet works on iron or steel stuff...

EDIT: Yeah, I replied to a link, lol.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah this project fell apart faster then you could say...fell apart.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yeah this project fell apart faster then you could say...fell apart.
Back together now!

Couple questions for the Teksid pro's.

I disassembled my block and they came with main cap studs. The previous owner did not know if they were APR or not. If they were ARP, they would have "ARP" on them correct? I don't see any markings on them. Did Ford make regular one time main cap studs?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts