TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing the what to do next question in my head for mounths. but the thing that I think is best for the 2000.00 range is a 2002 explorer motor and 2000 mustang auto trans (w/j-mod). taking info from this site and looking for low milage parts I found that 2000.00 is realy about the starting point for the big parts.

motor 25,000 miles---------------------1250.00
trans 25,000 miles----------------------550.00
j-mod by trans shop--------------------200.00
re-pin trans harnes---------------------100.00

I will also do other things like converter (what bolt pattern for converter?) chip, and ods and ends.... what else do I need for the motor and trans to be put in? any help or info will help remember I have a 95 lx 4.6.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the GT's convertor will need a mark8 flexplate. you could upgrade to a Marauder unit though, it stalls about 300rpm higher.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is the explorer flexplate the same as the thunderbird? If so I could use the converter that is in my car now that is 300 over stock. right?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
eh for $150 (100 for tc, $50 for flex), you can have a ~3000 stall converter. but to answer your question, i believe that no its not the same... b/c most v8 explorers came w/ 5.0's.. but im really not sure. Someone should come here shortly to confirm or deny

·
Registered
501 Posts
97 is that last 5.0 explorer, in 02' they came out with the 4.6l with the aluminum block.reuse your old frontcover id probably get a new flexplate its only like $50 from fivestar or dan whichever.

alot of small parts are in your future i figure around $500 for all good new stuff youll need

Tom

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ive looked at the GT tranny into our cars...im not a big fan of it b/c you cant change your gear ratios over 3.27s, so go with a 98 mark 8 tranny, and the j-mod is so simple i wouldnt pay a shop money to do it....especailly if the tranny is out of the car already

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why can't you change to 3.27s? I will have 3.73's or 4.11 but still would like to know. I might have the motor and trans in the car for a short time whith my 3.08s. I would like to do 1 thing at a time. The order I would like to do is : 3.73 or 4.11 ; trans ; motor. but things change by deals you may find so only god can tell what happens first. I also know that the j-mod is not hard to do but if I am having my trans shop make harness work in the car I might as well have him do the j-mod.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
theres a piece in the tranny thats the 1st piece that goes in thats setup diffrent......im told theres no way to go above 3.27 gears.....a few people know about this......im not 100% sure why and how to fix and/or...change this but i know thats the case just as a bolt up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts