TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like it's happened, last 4 mornings starting up the bird she idles rough and there's white smoke coming out the pipes that smell like anti-freeze. After about 3 minutes or so white smoke stops and she idles smoothly and runs strong. Oil looks good...for now. She has 74k on the clock and runs like new, needless to say I'm upset. I think the head gasket is leaking at start-up but when she warms up the gasket seals again. I think it's only a matter of time (probably a few more days) before it totally blows out. So, someone please tell me that I'm wrong.....please. Also, I guess I shouldn't even drive it for now.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Do a leakdown test (not just a compression check) on the engine. If any cylinder won't hold pressure, you can listen for where the air is escaping and/or look for bubbles in the coolant.

But if it is billowing white smoke, and smells like anti-freeze (only in the smoke), then I would agree that it sounds like a head gasket. Do you know if the heads have ever been off the block? If so, and if they weren’t surfaced correctly they may leak.

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, the car hasn't been abused at all, only 74k miles. I have smelled very faintly anti-freeze at start-up for a while maybe 2 years but I always thought it was probably a pin hole type leak from a heater hose back by the fire-wall or maybe an intake leak. But now exhaust is white and smells, white smoke stops after a couple of blocks of driving, you think maybe gasket has a slight leak then warms up and gasket reseals?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rescued the car in 2005 from a Toyota dealer with 37k on it, so I doubt if the heads were ever removed.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
does it have the original intake? ohh just noticed u have a 94 , never mind.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
no, the car hasn't been abused at all, only 74k miles. I have smelled very faintly anti-freeze at start-up for a while maybe 2 years but I always thought it was probably a pin hole type leak from a heater hose back by the fire-wall or maybe an intake leak. But now exhaust is white and smells, white smoke stops after a couple of blocks of driving, you think maybe gasket has a slight leak then warms up and gasket reseals?
do as was suggested....leak-down test....even if your hypothesis is correct, you still have to do something about whatever is going on...might as well do the right thing and test it

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, have the original all metal intake. Yeah, I'll get the leak down test done first to confirm, good idea. Alright, I'll let everybody know about what's happening.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The other way you can confirm a head gasket is to remove the spark plugs, (cold engine) disconnect the coil connectors and pressurize the cooling system. Let it sit for a while keeping pressure on it (no more than 16 PSI) and then have someone crank it over and see if coolant blows out of any spark plug hole, I have successfully used this method on many minor leaks that other shops could find or verify.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Are you sure it smells like coolant and not fuel? Those '94s are known to have injectors hang open when the EEC goes bad.

-Miller

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
Are you sure it smells like coolant and not fuel? Those '94s are known to have injectors hang open when the EEC goes bad.

-Miller
When that happens though, it doesn't clear up, or improve once it is warm. It just keeps dumping in fuel and blowing the white smoke until you replace the PCM.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It could be the valve seals leaking. That wouldn't explain the antifreeze smell, but that does seem like a valve seal symptom though. Starts up and smokes, then clears up. Also if its idling for a long time and you rev it up it will smoke again. 95% sure that's what my cars puff of smoke is :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would agree with the valve seals considering the low mileage they tend to break up from sitting but the smell of antifreeze is pretty obvious. Do that leak-down test!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update, confirmed, bird has a partial head gasket leak in rear of passenger side, the car has sat close to 3 weeks while I looked for a shop to fix it. Found a performace shop here in Philly so I made arrangements to take it there this past Saturday 9/4 to drop it off, well she didn't start, turned the key and heard a bang, tried again, bang again. Called AAA for tow to shop, turns out she's vapor locked and engine won't turn, she's seized. Only 74k miles and she ran like a raped ape, no more I guess. You see I didn't want to drive it with gasket problem as to not ruin engine but letting it sit caused coolant to leak onto pistons and as we know the engine cannot compress water so piston could not rise up to top dead center hence holding the engine back from turning over. I am so sick over this that I cannot put this into words, the car looks brand new inside and out. Shop is going to look into it to access damage on Tuesday. Also, if the engine is shot the have a '94 Mark VIII engine there that needs a bottom end rebuild, they mentioned doing the DOHC swap if I wanted so I'll find out later this week about the Bird's engine and I'll decide what to do from there. So that's it for now I keep everyone informed about what I'm goona do. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
332 Posts
Swap

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wouldn't it be too late for that solution at this point, due to internal engine damage?

I would say go DOHC swap :)
i agre with the DOHC swap, but i dont think anything is damaged if the engine didnt turn over, its just hydaulic locked and the starter can not turn it over.

now if he were to force turn it with a wrench then ya. it would bust a piston and be junk.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah, I'm thinking coolant might have pooled on top of piston(s) preventing movement so maybe bottom end could be dried out or rebuilt to salvage the engine, I don't know, I'll find out in a few days. Thinking about a DOHC swap puts a BIG GRIN on my face you know, very BIG. I'll have to see what the expense will be for either resolution and then decide. I'm just wondering if I would have used the car daily and driven prudently instead of letting it sit for almost 3 weeks would I have kept hydro-lock away by the car heating up and constantly drying up the coolant? You know, your damned if you do, and damned if you don't. So we'll see and I'll keep you guys up on what's going on. Later Steve.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts