TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)

Starting to get really serious about getting my '83 T-Bird restored, but I'm concerned about the severe rust underneath the backlite. Luckily, it doesn't look like any areas of the trunk have been affected, but I've gotta get this fixed, as it's starting to work its way up the sides of the window.

I know "0" about bodywork, but I do know that there's probably some cancer underneath what I can see and that this area will most likely have to be cut out to get rid of the rust completely. I'm keeping the car, so a quick fix with Bondo isn't really an option, and I don't want to get the car painted just yet, so my question is......assuming the area's too far gone to repair, would cutting out the area and welding in a replacement panel be a viable (inexpensive, aesthetically-pleasing) option? Also, I've read that the clips that hold the molding to the window are what actually causes the rust......does anyone know if Ford revised the clips in any way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Jose

·
Registered
583 Posts
Lab-Metal, we use it at the shop to fill in deep pits and sometimes holes depending on the needed use..
http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?id=1

MasterSeries Silver Coating
Similar to POR15, but I like it better... at least it doesn't peel off from bare metal like previously mentioned product....... It's also NOT UV sensitive in it's silver form. Fills and builds very well, cures very hard as well. Effectively stops rust.
http://www.nomorerust.com/silver.html

If the rust is all that bad though, replacing a panel should be doable.. though, if it's not something you're familiar with you might want to find a body shop to do it for you.. one you know will actually do it properly and not rip you off. Or if you know someone who's handy with a welder and/or metal work.. you can cut a patch, FLANGE it, and weld it in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts