TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been doing some searching and havent been able to find the place to plug in the new sender that came with my autolite gauge, Im thinkn that i put it in the stock location, Is this correct? please help Thanks mIke

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mike,

IIRC, taking out the stock temp sender will mess with the computer, because it does take water temperature into account. It also uses the original sender to know when to turn the fan On and OFF.

Does the Autolite sender have the same ammount of wires coming out of it ? (I cant remember how many wires the stock Temp. sender has coming out of it.. sue me :p )

If it does, maybe you can tap the new gauge into the Original sender.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You don't want to be adding any additional gauges to one sender, as this will mess with the signal (ie resistant to ground). This happens cause you now have two gauges trying to put the resistance to ground and measure it, if I remember right you'll actuallly end up reading higher than what it's really at. We went through this problem at work when we installed a couple secondary gauges into a de-ice truck. Wound up having to install a second sensor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well were should I put the sender at then? Do I gotta drill a new hole or something, from my understanding, I am not messing with anything that go the the computer, Im just doing the sender side, that works for the gauge? Am i wrong? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
the sender does tell the computer how warm the engine is, that way it can make a better a/f ratio. As far as where to put the sender...I couldn't tell ya, I'm still using the stock gauge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok, this is what I've been able to come up with.

The sensor on the Thermostat housing goes to the Dashboard gauge. The other sensor that sits at a 45 degree angle and screws into the manifold is also a temp sender, but that goes directly to the computer.

So, I would think that if you take out the Sender from the Thermostat housing, and put the aftermarket sender in its place, it will work just fine. Just remember to ground the OEM sender wire, otherwise you will get a "Check Gauges" light... I would presume... I will update when I get my water and tranny temp gauges. I might even take a few pics.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok, Above is correct.

I just installed some gauges a couple of days ago. The water gauge sender goes into the T-Stat housing. You will need a 3/8" Sender, or a 3/8" to whatever size sender you have nipple.

You can leave the OE wire un-attached. It will not throw any "check Gauges lights" or and CEL's.

I'm thinking of running the OE sender to the Radiator, and plumbing it in thee. Not very accurate, true. But it's better than having it sit on "C" all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts