TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace the temp guage??
I'm looking at installing a pillar guage pod, and putting in an oil pressure guage and a temp guage. How hard is it to install the guage, and are there any extra pieces I might need??

·
Registered
917 Posts
be sure you buy ELECTRICAL gauges not mechanical because the electrical's ae much easier to install.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I have a 3 pillar gauge setup in my TBird( Oil Pressure, Trans Temp, Water Temp ). I left the stock gauge alone and added a sending unit for my water gauge. There is a couple of ways to add that sending unit. I have the coolant mod and added my sending unit inline with that. If that is something you don't want to do, you can tap into the big coolant hose neck at the front around the thermostat.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
water temp, sorry., thanks greencurse, thats a good thing, cause the guages im leanin towards are electrical.

TGJ, where/how would I tap into the coolant hose neck??
in the rubber im guessing??

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
water temp, sorry., thanks greencurse, thats a good thing, cause the guages im leanin towards are electrical.

TGJ, where/how would I tap into the coolant hose neck??
in the rubber im guessing??
not in the rubber, thats the hose....in the neck, the metal thing the hose clamps onto.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, thats what I was thinking...after I typed the last message... Im guessing the best way to do that is drill a hole for the sending unit??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question, could I just swap the new guages sending unit for the old one's sending unit, and avoid drilling/splicing altogether??

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
ok, thats what I was thinking...after I typed the last message... Im guessing the best way to do that is drill a hole for the sending unit??
Drill and tap the metal for the new sending unit. Here is the thing, your car has 2 temp senders in the coolant passage, one is for the EEC and the other is the stock gauge, I believe. I am not sure which is which. I honestly do not recall I believe that these 2 factory sending units do not like to be spliced, it messes up the signal if I remember correctly, but I might be wrong. Someone might know for sure. The gauge on the dash if disconnected will likely trigger the check gauges light and perhaps the check engine light, again I am not saying that this is 100% correct. If that is correct, that is a situation I would want to avoid. This is why I am suggesting you find an alternative location for your aftermarket gauge sending unit. Placing it where I suggested is not a bad place for it. You could tap into the heater hoses at the back and run it from there as well.

·
Registered
401 Posts
green one is for the stock gauge, i believe

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So does anyone know for sure if I can just put the new sending unit in place of the old one?
I wouldn't think it would trigger the check engine or guages light, because the guage wouldn't get hot, which is what im assuming would cause the light to come on normally.

Thanks for the help guys, just trying to get an idea of what to do before I do it

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yyes as long as u pull the sender for the temp gauge and not for the eec ,the stock gauge will not work,and the check gauge lite will not come on

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks joker, thats what I was thinking, now if only the parts were in...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts