TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i got a quick question about the temperature guage in my V8 t-bird. i've been noticing that it keeps climbing up to the R. thats obvisouslly if i'm just sitting in traffic and whatnot. On the highway it goes below the N. I was under the impression that is very rarely went above N. The car has not overheated but i just want to prevent any possible problems. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appericated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Probably the simplest thing to check is to see if your fan is turning on. If it's not, air flow from driving can cool the coolant enough if it's cooler out to keep the guage down. Just let you car run awhile pop the hood and see if the fan kicks on or not.

Joe

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sounds like a 180* thermostat is installed ... when on the highway, enough air is flowing to keep the temp low.... when sitting in traffic, it waits til the temp rises enough to turn the fan on ..... when and if you get a chip, have them know that a 180* tstat is installed which will allow the fan to turn on at a lower temp instead of the oem temp which is 195-205 normally.
This is the same thing mine does w/ 180* tstat installed .... but you should make sure before leaving it be. It will not affect anything if the 180* tstat is installed w/o the chip. Only adverse effect is that you wont get the full cooling capabilities of the tstat in traffic, which defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have a similar problem. Mine started after I installed my PI cams. I just replaced the coolant temp sensor, removed air from system, replaced thermostat and topped off the coolant. My fan turns on when the temp reaches the M on NORM and kicks off when it brings the temp down to the O in NORM. I know that the temp gauge isn’t very accurate but it seems there is a definite change in operating temp after my cam install. Anyone have any ideas???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts