TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I had this problem in the past, just not this severe, I got new coils back then. Anywho the wires are new and the coilpacks have 90k miles on them now... but when at low speeds I get no power at all, and massive missfire it seems. When i WOT it, the power comes back and will still peel the tires in 3rd and 4th, but untill that point I get no power. Is this Transmission, Coils or Plugs? How can I diagnose each, cause I can't afford to go buy 350 dollar coils unless its really that.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
623 Posts
Any codes? It doesn't sound like coils if your problem clears up in the upper rpm range. Plugs are cheap, throw a new set it. Normal maintenance items when replaced can sometimes accomplish miracles.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
As soon as you pop a P030x code(s), you will know which cylinder to begin checking for spark, cracked spark plug, bad boot, bad compression...all that junk. You can also cold start the car allowing it to miss for a few seconds and pull the plugs. Usually the one with the wet spark plug is the culprit. Also if you get P0303,4,7,8 codes, it may be due to a water leak running to your back spark plug holes.
-Rob

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ummm can you point me in the right direction on how to peel my tires in 3rd and 4th with a mostly stock engine.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I had been fighting a misfire with my 2000 Grand Marquis that was bad enough to make it shake at idle randomly, but it never set a code (prior to the intake swap I did it would store a code but not set the CEL).

It was that way driving around town for over 1,000 miles since swapping intakes, wife takes it on a trip and in the 110 degree weather it FINALLY tripped the CEL. Had her take it to get it scanned, found the cylinder, and it was the COP connector was iffy.

I was able to find the weak cylinder by misting water on it it before, but that might just be helpful with COPs and not coil packs. It didn't work this time.

If WOT is fine, then perhaps it is because it is in Open Loop, so I would try disconnecting the MAF and see if that helps, clean it, also check the DPFE/EVR for water and functionality.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually my car will peel its tires if I go WOT when going down the road... and doesn't matter if its wet or dry pavement....

Anywho, cleaned the MAF no difference, gonna go borrow some coil packs and see if it changes this.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Dohc bashing aside and assuming your tires are good, I will trade you powertrains straight up. Your npi 4.6, trans, and rear end for my mark motor, trans, ds, and aluminum diff with 4.30 screw if you're shredding tires like that.

All joking aside, I had a bad fuel pressure regulator that caused my motor to break up terribly under hard acceleration. It would seem to clear up a little at about 6500 rpm, unfortunately without sending my tires up in smoke. Good luck finding your problem!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure make fun all you want, I haven't a clue why this started to happen. When My cats got fried I only put two cats back in removed the third. Suddenly I had a lot more torque so when I WOT it would chirp the tires, and no my tires arn't bald. I really don't think its a good thing that it does it, I'm thinking its my Transmission slowly dying that is why that is happening.

But anyways, I've notice it doesn't happen right away, this only seems to start up when the engine warms up a bit... I'm thinking this has to be a way to find this if its not the coil packs.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Just get new cats man , you said after it warms up . Thats what bad cats do , you can just unbolt them and see if it helps .

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
this is about to turn into thread of the year.....lol!

okay, really, get us some video of your car doing this.....cause, I guess the rest of us have been doing this wrong for years now...lol!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I didn't read far enough in the thread
95badbird beat me to the quote in question.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts