TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Thunderbird Sport 4.6L
Stock Wheels/Tires/Suspension

I replaced my well worn front and rear shocks on my car last week, along with the front lower control arms. Since then, the car's ride quality has been terrible! It is extremely harsh and unforgiving, even over minor road imperfections. When a bad expansion joint in the road is coming up, I find myself grabbing the wheel with both hands and holding on for the rough ride. It's enough to rattle my sunroof open.

In addition to be very stiff, harsh, etc., it feels unstable responding to bumps. The left rear and right rear feels like different valving rates, as if once side is softer and more responsive and the other side is stiff and unresponsive, which creates the feeling of instability.

The shocks are plain Motorcraft shocks for a V8 MN12 car. I've replaced shocks on these cars several times in the past without this issues. Any idea of what could be causing this? Should I expect them to settle in after some driving? I've put about 100 miles on them so far.

Thomas

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They very well could have been, esp. the rears as I bought them on clearance from Rock Auto. The boxes certainly didn't look new. I have about 250 miles on them now and they are still pretty bad.

Thomas

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
try swaping the rears from one side to the other.
you might have a bad shock.
I know I get a bad drive in my truck sometimes..... in the rear, I run air bags, and they leak.....one leaks faster than the other, so, one will have 40 lbs, and the other will be empty, whcih results in a sway, or side to side effect when hitting bumps and what not.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Any chance you torqued the bolts down with it on the stands?

That will make it ride terrible; BTDT.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the problem has resolved itself. It appears that the drivers side bushing did not fully seat up into the body of the car. After driving over a terrible road this weekend, it seems to have settled in the shock. I tighten it up on the top and now it rides pretty well (for a 200K mile Thunderbird).

Thomas

·
Registered
394 Posts
How would you rate those new shocks driving over bumps and stuff?
Does it create a big jolt or bang?
I need some smooth riding shocks.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are alright now that they have settled in. I have about 1500 miles on them now. I have always thought this car has rode poorly, so I don't know if it is the best evaluation of them.

Thomas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts