TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been subzero temps here in MI for almost a week now. I finally got my car running and well it was so cold that I put my key into the door to unlock and boom the key snapped in half. This is the sae key for both ignition and the doors. Its the only key I have, how do I get a new key or a spare? Am I going to need a new cylinder and such? Help!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Someone at a dealer may be able to help get you a new one cut if you give them the VIN. I'm not sure about what they would want as proof that you own it, but I could see possibly the title or some other form of proof. I doubt dealer are in the habit of just handing keys out to whomever gives them a VIN.

Jay

·
Registered
133 Posts
FordMan77 said:
Someone at a dealer may be able to help get you a new one cut if you give them the VIN. I'm not sure about what they would want as proof that you own it, but I could see possibly the title or some other form of proof. I doubt dealer are in the habit of just handing keys out to whomever gives them a VIN.

Jay
It depends on where you go, worst case they will need to see picture ID and the registration for the car.

I think the dealerships started checking ID after people started stealing cars by writing down the vin in a parking lot ect... then getting the key cut and going back to steal the car with a new key.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Key

Use an old coping saw blade..........slip it in the lock and give it a little twist to catch the key. Slowly pull out the broken piece. A good locksmith should be able to cut a key from what you have.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting it taken care of on Monday, I just gotta bring the vin and proof I own the vehicle and I get a new key. Luckily the piece of the broken key was easily fished out.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but when I bought my car the owner didnt have the trunk key. Can the dealership do somthing if I dont have any key to go by? Maybe by VIN?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Don't see why not. Worth a try before you go and put a new lock on it.

Jay

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
David_viny said:
Not to steal the thread, but when I bought my car the owner didnt have the trunk key. Can the dealership do somthing if I dont have any key to go by? Maybe by VIN?
Don't go to the dealer, they will be expensive. When I got my car it was the same thing. Go to a good locksmith, the older the better (some just hire anyone and might not know what they are doing, go to the one that has been around for years) they car get a mold from the lock while it is on the car, cut ya a key for a few bucks (I think I paid something below $10 and got two keys). It did take him a few minutes, but a key is nice plus I can now lock my glovebox.

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
Go to a locksmith...

David_viny said:

I had the same problem...

The guy went out to the car with a box of keys, put them in one at a time, until one fit, and then cut me a copy. Cost like $10.

It amazed me how few keys there were in the box... maybe 50, max, and lost of those were so dust covered, they looked like they had never been used. The one I had was the fourth or fifth one of the clean keys on top.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Yea there's not that many keys considering the number of cars. My moms walked out into a parking lot and got into the wrong car and started it up before realizing stuffs missing, hey wait a minute that not it, this isn't my car thats the problem...

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ok, first off dealers are not there to steal from you, 2nd off, a 95 and older we have no acess to key codes. 3rd of 1996 and newer is all we can get codes from, and 1996 is 50/50. for a non pats key we get 3.50 for a pats we get 28.50 we dont charge for code look up .

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have never got the reason for the negative discourse about dealerships. SO what if it costs me 20 bucks for two new keys. I like the peace of mind in knowing that I have the right key. And in my area locksmiths are not common and charge a lot just for the simplest of things.

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
jk89cat said:
ok, first off dealers are not there to steal from you, 2nd off, a 95 and older we have no acess to key codes. 3rd of 1996 and newer is all we can get codes from, and 1996 is 50/50. for a non pats key we get 3.50 for a pats we get 28.50 we dont charge for code look up .
Not all dealers are whack jobs; just all the ones in my area...

I took my Red cougar in to have the trans fluid changed, and the upgrades flashed, an left with a trans that was pouring fluid out of every orifice...The rear bolts were loose, and despite being charged for the eec flash, it was not flashed, and the secret toy was still in the pan, even tho they charged me for a filter. And they didn't use mercon V, even tho they charged me for it...The smell is kinda unique, you know?

I know the bolts on the tail housing were tight when I took it in, I had just checked them, in prep for changing the fluid myself, until I noticed the versions of the eec program were different on my two cars. So, WTF, let them change it and flash it as well.

I really think they tried to kill my tranny on purpose; If they thought that would make me buy a car from them, they were way off base.

If I could buy a new MN12, then I might think about a new ride...with the BS that ford sells now, it's no wonder they are going under.

end rant...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts