TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone has ordered and received the Trick Flow PI intake yet, but mine just got handed to me today. The lower intake weighs in @ 22 lbs, the upper I would guess is 2 lbs. It's heavy. They throw in a 3" aluminum intake tube and the rubber couplers. They threw in some other stuff to make it a complete plug and play hook up, but we will see if that solves all the hook up situations. Overall I'm pretty happy with it right now. It's a good looking piece. More than I expected to see.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
pictures?!

We wanna see!!!!!

~MG~

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The lower intake weighs in @ 22 lbs, the upper I would guess is 2 lbs. It's heavy.

so the whole thing only weighs 22 lbs? doesnt seem like it, considering my SVO intake fully stacked tipped the scale at 42 or 43 lbs.......and yea put up some pics!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
What did they give you for mounting the alternator? I know that the pictures of the intake that I have seen show it lacking any provision for the stock alternator bracket.

-Miller

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got to looking at the instructions. There is a lot more to the kit than in the picture. There is a alternator mounting bracket included and they did supply gaskets, bolts, hoses, throttle cable bracket, hose barb fittings, radiator hose split coupler and some other stuff. The whole thing should weigh about 25 lbs. Sorry I don't have camera for pixs and it will be a week or two before install, but this is do-able for sure. $800- a bit steep- -. I did just dyno and tune the the car 2 weeks ago with a brand new PI engine and 262 cam. I could dyno after this install and give everyone an idea of gains to be had. But for now this kit is the only game in town and it looks good.

·
Registered
229 Posts
does anyone know if this intake will fit under the stock hood ?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, got some updates for this install. I am checking this out to the letter before I proceed because I don't want to go to the shop and find things I need to make this work for a 96-97' 4.6 T-Bird with a PI engine. First thing to keep in mind is that kit is for a Mustang. That alone will bring in a bump and grind factor for us. The assembled product weighs approx. 33 lbs. Subtract this from the approx. 22 lbs of a stock setup and you are looking at 10lbs of additional weight. The deck to top of upper intake measures 8". Stock is 7-1/2". I have the 75mm upper which adds extra 1/2 in. I say it will fit under the stock hood. Looking at the obvious to match this with the PI 96-97 T-bird 4.6. 1) The stock egr tube will not fit with out modification or complete removal. 2) The alternator is turned 180. This means the radiator hose will not fit. The kit provides a hose fix but I have not yet proved this will work on our T-Birds. 3) The upper intake @ the throttle body is located a good 2-1/2" forward of it's original location. If you have the 02 Mustang MAF and filter, the supplied 3" aluminum tube should work. If you have the MAC cold air like me then turning the supplied tube around should work with minimal bump and grind. If you still have the stock intake and engine then this mod is not for you.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The assembled product weighs approx. 33 lbs. Subtract this from the approx. 22 lbs of a stock setup and you are looking at 10lbs of additional weight.

Stock intake is 12lbs, upper elbow is 3lbs for 15lbs total.

Figure its adding about 18lbs or so over a stock plastic setup.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I proceed because I don't want to go to the shop and find things I need to make this work for a 96-97' 4.6 T-Bird with a PI engine. First thing to keep in mind is that kit is for a Mustang. That alone will bring in a bump and grind factor for us. If you still have the stock intake and engine then this mod is not for you.
I'M GONNA GUTE THE HEADS I HAVE AND GIVE IT BIGGER VALVES AND THEN LOWER THE CC'S TO GET A 11.3-1 COMPRESSION . THE PORTS SHOULD WORK AFTER I TAKE OUT ALL THAT METAL .

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not quite sure what you are getting at. But anyway after you "take out all that metal" you will still have to deal with the EGR tube that will not fit.

·
Registered
513 Posts
just delete the egr i did in my build up, leaves the engine lookin cleaner without it too.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have had this intake installed on my new engine for over a month now. I do have an aftermarket hood, so can't say about hood clearance. As for the alt. you will need to get a newer 2000-up alt front housing and install it onto your old alt. or a whole new alt.. I just swapped casings. I didn't use the EGR tube because my EGR system has been deleted for some time now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
nice, so thats 560 rwhp with motor + blower, no nx right? did you notice a huge gain with the intake? do you think the egr would fit if you still had it? did you get the intake out of summit? who did your tune?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts