TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a "hehe" moment earlier today. Took the MKT by the tire shop to have the tires rotated/balanced.
It took them awhile, but I was patient and just wandered around the salesfloor and kind of kept an eye on them with the car back there. There was a small crowd around it and they were looking the car over really good. I thought it was just going to be the typical "We checked the blah,blah,blah..." routine, but it wasn't. The tech that did the work commented when he came back in with my keys:
"That's the nicest car I've ever been in. It's WAY better than that Benz over there."
The car he was pointing at was an E-something Mercedes 4 door that was in there for a flat repair.
He said the whole shop was over there looking at it,and that this was the first one that they had seen in there. They all loved the big glass roof, the space inside,and the seats,trim,etc. All I could do was agree and smile.
:D
JL

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
,and that this was the first one that they has seen in there
And probably the only one they ever will. There is only 3 in Texas and the other two are still in the dealers lot...

Been meaning to ask. How do you like the sissy power adders? They grow on you don't they.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I dont know anyone who hates turbos!

Wow thats rare JL dont ruin the interior those lincolns are so expensive to fix to OEM standards.

Drape it all in blankets so nothing get dirty hehe.

So IM guessing this is a low volume vehicle from the factory.

Kind of sets itself apart from the common big suv in that regard. I can say I known anyone who has one. Ive seen more blackwoods than MKTs

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far, since 2009, they have built approx 10,000 of these. They're built on the same assembly line as the Flex and Edge. It's on the same platform as the Flex, which has not been considered a good seller, and they have built just over 100,000 units of that model. It is a bit rare, but I do see one every once in awhile. There are a few dealers in Houston that have 6-8 of them on the lot, but none around here.
As for the "sissy power adders"...the 3.5L Duratec that this EcoBoost is based on makes more power stock than most mildly modified 4.6L 2V's do. The base Flex with the N/A Duratec will outrun a stock TBird in the 1/4 and it weighs roughly 4400lbs. The stock MKT has a slightly more powerful 3.7L version of the Duratec, and it'll embarrass a TBird even more.
JL

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Well yeah look at the numbers that thing is putting up stock - 14.41 @ 96.27 nothing to sneeze at imo.

Stock vs. stock you got the birds hands down.

Congrats on the rare vehicle, it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Gasp.. 'I've rounded the bend!!!'

I am now -ADMITTEDLY- an elderly old fart and fixated in my perceptions.

That is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. Right up there with Crossfire and Aztek

One cant fight consensus, or even individual tastes, though.. so that's my last word on that. Just makes me feel like I need a rocker and a lap blanket.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
One cant fight consensus, or even individual tastes, though.. so that's my last word on that. Just makes me feel like I need a rocker and a lap blanket.
Agreed; I hate the way new cars look.

I feel the need to tell someone to get off my lawn...

EDIT: NOT Hating on your car, JL! Just all new cars...

If I could buy a brand new Cougar, 96 style, with a coyote motor, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Even if it did cost 60k, lol.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
By far my favorite car is a 68 charger with a 440 6 pack - I would put all new tech under the suspension, but give me that old mopar big block grunt and the lines on that car are just..... well they are very nice imo.

I do love my T-bird and the lines on it are very nice, but if I had the choice it would be old school, forget the computer crap lol. Guess that makes me an old fogie too :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
By far my favorite car is a 68 charger with a 440 6 pack - I would put all new tech under the suspension, but give me that old mopar big block grunt and the lines on that car are just..... well they are very nice imo.

I do love my T-bird and the lines on it are very nice, but if I had the choice it would be old school, forget the computer crap lol. Guess that makes me an old fogie too :D
That's where I'm different... LOVE the NEW tech. Just hate the styles. Especially the high beltline.
The only 2000 up new ones I REALLY like were the Mustang and the Challenger.
The Camaro ALMOST pulled it off with the exception of the 'Joker' grill.

But there's other things than looks. Why I bought a 99 Bravada, homely but oh so nice.. and price is right, compared to top of line Exploder or Escape, both of which I prefer on looks {not to mention reliability}!

So the bottom line is.. if I won an MKT in a contest and only had to pay taxes on it.. I'd take it and drive it in a heartbeat. Screw it's ugly!

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The MKT looks a helluva lot better in person. I had my apprehensions about it until I actually looked at it in person and drove it. The only thing I still really don't care for is the "rise" in the beltline at the back. I'd have preferred that they left it level all the way back to the rear.
I also like the fact that it's not something you see on every street corner. It's definitely unique in an ocean of other cookie-cutter CUV's. I like the Flex for the same reason, but I got this vehicle for less money than an optioned out Flex and it still has WAAAY more options on it, and it basically the same vehicle.
JL

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well yeah look at the numbers that thing is putting up stock - 14.41 @ 96.27 nothing to sneeze at imo.

Stock vs. stock you got the birds hands down.

Congrats on the rare vehicle, it looks pretty good.
A stock FWD N/A Flex or MKT will outrun most stock Tbirds, and they weigh alot more.
JL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts