TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
SCCoA has pictures and (at least used to) own the car...it's a rusted, tired old POS that has been beaten to death....sad, really.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Theres a thread on here somewhere, that has the link to the pictures. Though I dont remember where.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
SCCoA has pictures and (at least used to) own the car...it's a rusted, tired old POS that has been beaten to death....sad, really.

The SCCOA still owns it .. pictures are in the Member's section. It is in the process of being restored. What do you expect from a car that is 20 years old from the Mid-west ???

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Theres a thread on here somewhere, that has the link to the pictures. Though I dont remember where.
I just looked up the thread, it was in the "Little Known Facts About Our Cars" thread, and the pics link is broken. here is a vid i found on youtube though,

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EnxD6jRi2Eo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EnxD6jRi2Eo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

C.Hill

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Here are some pics...

There are more in the member's only section of SCCoA.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I can't believe how rusty that thing is.
You haven't seen anything yet. The front rotors were so bad that they were splitting in two.

Remember this car was BEAT ON. It was NEVER a museum piece. It was designed to be driven, and it was...hard and put away wet.

We are attempting to restore the car over on SCCoA so that it can go to shows, etc. but there are MANY times many custom parts on the car, and some will have to be rebuilt, etc.

I know that they are taking donations to get the car back up and running.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'll be the 1st to say it........

It'll buff right out.....:D

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
nice rims :zpuke:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Rims are off a Porsche. Not our first choice for rims, but that's what was on it when the club bought it.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
If the SCCoA wants to fund the restoration of this car, they should start re-manufacturing some of the parts that are on it. Not many people would be interested in a complete AWD conversion, but I'll bet a lot would like that aluminum subframe and LCA setup.

Oh, and I actually like those rims.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well as you all know, the thunderbird crowd is a fickle bunch. There is issue with people and parts and what they are willing to spend. We've run into things such as Magnum Powers starting to stop supporting the SC, and the parts that they have built for us in the past.

I'm sure that once things are specified, and re-built, they will look into what it would take to make them production ready.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
Very true. I just figure that since they need to invest the money to design the parts anyway, most of the cost needs to be spent no matter what, so they might as well make some money back off it. I don't think there will be a huge market for it, but its not like they are going to get tons of donations for nothing either. Basically they are in a position to really help the SC community while completeing a project that they want to do, and resurrecting a piece of SC history, all at the same time. Or they could drag their feet forever on it because they don't have enough money to do it right. It seems to me selling the parts is a good way to accomplish all their goals.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So where did the SCCOA purchase this car from? It looks like it was used as an everyday driver so I was just wondering if a regular person owned it and used as it their personal car. If so how did that happen? I guess basically I'm just curious about the history of it.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
SCCoA AWD SC Forum said:
All Wheel Drive (AWD) Super Coupe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pleased to announce after much effort on the part of several individuals the last known prototype AWD SC has been donated to the SCCoA by Dana Corporation. This was an attempt by Ford to produce a AWD MN12 originally farmed out the Porsche as a development project. The program was killed by Ford management though before being released for production. Porsche took a shot at it with perhaps as many as 6 vehicles. Dana was then took a shot at it for one car to reduce the cost of the package. This is the car we were given.

The car is a 89 production car with around 38,000 miles, modified at least as follows. The rear suspension looks stock. The car is an AOD car with a transfer case mounted to the rear of the tranny. The drive shaft runs along the drivers side of the engine and is attached to a front differential. There is a custom AL front subframe with the passenger side axle shaft running through a custom oil pan. The upper control arms and shocks apper to be stock but the lower control arm and spindles are all custom parts. There is a "bump out" in the drivers side tranny tunnel to accomodate the transfer case. The Dana System is electromagnetic based controlled to transfer torque as needed to each set of wheels. It is a full time AWD system. The car looks stock at normal ride height. The only tip off on the AWD is a couple of lights on the dashboard (purpose to be determined) and the fact the car has what appears to be Porsche 928 wheels.

Present plans are to restore the car as a club project and take it to various shows to increase public awareness of this unique historical development vehicle. Given the terms of transfer of ownership, and due to the "experimental" nature of the car it will never be driven on publically owned highways. We may drive the car on private property though but I am sure folks will understand that it will not be thrashed by anyone.
That is a brief summary of the car.

A little more...

Duffy Floyd SCCoA said:
Arrangements will be made in the future for public showings/viewing. Remember we are going to be restoring the car so a lot of help will be needed. Given the ABS is on the fritz and the front rotors need replaced I did not drive the car over 5 MPH to get it on the trailer. I do know though that the the car pulled .92 G's on a skidpad during development on stock sized tires and wheels. Full wheel lock and punching it is the kind of thrashing I mentioned would not occur. Got to remember that there are many one off and custom parts on the car that would be extremely expensive to replace if we break something.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts