TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I went down to George's place that day as well. The car is pretty scaly underneath, as expected from what it went through. We were pleasantly surprised when we took off the ground effects skirts though, the rocker panels are pretty solid on the car. That usually is one of the worst places for corrosion on an SC.

Overall it's a pretty interesting car, if you're a diehard MN12 nut.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Resurecting this abit; Where in ohio is it? If it's close by, I wouldn't mind helping out. I'm a manufacturing engineer with some connections to some good machine shops, could come in handy.

Are those wheels a direct swap, or are the AWD hubs different? Where did the transmission and transfer case come from?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Eric,

The car I believe is up in the Norwalk, OH area. As far as the wheels go, I'm not sure if they are a direct swap or not. I know the xfer case was a custom piece, so I would imagine that the trans was as well.

Josh

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
This is what we missed:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5qanlirrRWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Anyone know if any progress has been happening with this car?

As 3D printing with metal is becoming more and more mainstream, reproducing the hard parts may be getting easier. And like Mikey said back in the day, new parts could be sold to a couple crazies with money so they could build their own versions.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
Unfortunately now it is never going to happen. The car was given by the Dana corporation to the SCCoA, on the condition that it could never be sold. There were plans to restore the car, however one issue that quickly came up was the front brake rotors needed to be replaced, and nobody could figure out what kind of car they came from, or where to get replacements. Rather than proceeding with the other things that needed to be restored, the people in charge of the SCCoA decided that they wouldn't waste their time and money on a car that could never be driven, so no progress was ever made. Then as of a couple years ago, the SCCoA got sold, but the AWD SC was not included in that sale, so now the car is no longer owned by the SCCoA, and it is not clear if Duffy still has the car, or if it went back to the Dana corporation, or if it was destroyed, or what. Regardless though, unfortunately nothing is going to happen with it. The only chance possible for this to move forward would be if the car was given back to Dana, and if someone manages to find it, and convince them to give it up again, and even then, you still have to overcome all the obstacles that prevented it from getting restored in the first place.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Thanks for the update. That's really unfortunate. I know that a restoration was an extreme long shot 5 years ago, but there was still a chance. After hearing what you have to say, it sounds like we can officially say goodbye to a special part of MN12 history.

Goodbye AWD Supercoupe.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Unfortunately now it is never going to happen. The car was given by the Dana corporation to the SCCoA, on the condition that it could never be sold. There were plans to restore the car, however one issue that quickly came up was the front brake rotors needed to be replaced, and nobody could figure out what kind of car they came from, or where to get replacements. Rather than proceeding with the other things that needed to be restored, the people in charge of the SCCoA decided that they wouldn't waste their time and money on a car that could never be driven, so no progress was ever made. Then as of a couple years ago, the SCCoA got sold, but the AWD SC was not included in that sale, so now the car is no longer owned by the SCCoA, and it is not clear if Duffy still has the car, or if it went back to the Dana corporation, or if it was destroyed, or what. Regardless though, unfortunately nothing is going to happen with it. The only chance possible for this to move forward would be if the car was given back to Dana, and if someone manages to find it, and convince them to give it up again, and even then, you still have to overcome all the obstacles that prevented it from getting restored in the first place.
The car went to one of the engineers who originally worked on the AWD project, with the intent of restoration. No word on what has happened since.

·
Super Moderator
16,757 Posts
The car was a mule of a handful that existed for development, so it acquired tons and tons of abuse to evaluate it's real world durability, so every wear item on it is basically worn out, rusted out or broken, and most/if not all of those parts were one offs for the program, though some speculation exists that some parts may have been sourced from the Porsche parts bin since they were co developing it with Ford. It would never be on the road again regardless of whether it's restored or not, you can't get plates for factory mule, that's why they usually are crushed.

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
Good idea Ian. As goes the car so goes this thread.

Thanks to those who provided the story of the AWD Thunderbird SC.

I'll leave the thread stuck so that it'll be easy to locate.

If by chance new information about this car arises start a new thread and we'll merge it with and reopen this thread.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
So we can't talk about the AWD SC anymore?

Closing threads on a whim is not a good way to promote more traffic/posts here.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts