TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,332 Posts
I still want the Blown V8 AWD Two-Door Coupe we were ripped off from getting in 98.

Those bastards knew they would Never sell another ******* Mustang if they delivered a Thunderbird or Cougar that lived up to the name!

We should find out where all these bastards are buried, and have a mass desecration of their corpses, in protest for what they've done to the Brand.

What do Y'all think?

>:)

The Powers that be at F* could appease me by bring us a Blown DOHC Coyote Cougar XR7; but I forget, they ditched the whole brand...

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Closing threads on a whim is not a good way to promote more traffic/posts here.
Fine. Unlocked. What more is there to say about it? Except to take issue with the tread being locked?

BTW, Thanks to my fellow Mods for unlocking this so that we can continue this dead discussion.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
This thread was dug up after basically 9 years of no activity and some really valuable information was added. TCCOA may contain the last group of people who know and care about this unicorn, and that is a very cool thing.

If the engineer that has/ had the car finds this conversation, it would be awesome if they chimed in.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Fine. Unlocked. What more is there to say about it? Except to take issue with the tread being locked?

BTW, Thanks to my fellow Mods for unlocking this so that we can continue this dead discussion.
You're missing the point, Ron.

This thread was dug up after basically 9 years of no activity and some really valuable information was added. TCCOA may contain the last group of people who know and care about this unicorn, and that is a very cool thing.

If the engineer that has/ had the car finds this conversation, it would be awesome if they chimed in.
Bingo.

By the way, I did have something to say in response to the posts on 3/2/17, but I hopped on the site and found the thread locked. Provided I regain my train of thought, I'll post it here, in this thread, where info about the AWD SC belongs.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
To add value to this "dead" thread:

It was in May of 2013 when the AWD SC was donated, along with the parts and money raised by SCCoA for its restoration, to one of the Ford engineers who originally worked on the project.

Also, I'm sure some of you have seen these photos on the FB group page, as I posted them in the AWD SC discussion there. For those that haven't, this is a AWD XR7 prototype, which was unfortunately crushed.

·
Super Moderator
7,480 Posts
I don't suppose you have a name or any contact info for the person who now owns it, do you?

·
Super Moderator
10,332 Posts
That looks like a custom cast piece; do both designs take the front wheels' drive off the front of the engine?

·
Registered
89 Posts

It was in May of 2013 when the AWD SC was donated, along with the parts and money raised by SCCoA for its restoration, to one of the Ford engineers who originally worked on the project.

Also, I'm sure some of you have seen these photos on the FB group page, as I posted them in the AWD SC discussion there. For those that haven't, this is a AWD XR7 prototype, which was unfortunately crushed.

Man that really sucks. I didn't even know there was an AWD XR7. It looked pretty clean underneath too, what a shame. Why crush it? To avoid liability if someone drives it and gets into an accident? If it got donated to a museum, it would never have been driven. :rolleyes:

Also, how the hell did that SC get so rusty in 38,000 miles? Did they drive it into a salt lake for testing?

·
Super Moderator
7,480 Posts
That looks like a custom cast piece; do both designs take the front wheels' drive off the front of the engine?
It isn't driven off the front of the engine. The drive comes from the transfer case bolted to the back of the trans, and then the drive axle for the right side wheel goes through the oil pan.

·
Super Moderator
16,774 Posts
Man that really sucks. I didn't even know there was an AWD XR7. It looked pretty clean underneath too, what a shame. Why crush it? To avoid liability if someone drives it and gets into an accident? If it got donated to a museum, it would never have been driven. :rolleyes:

Also, how the hell did that SC get so rusty in 38,000 miles? Did they drive it into a salt lake for testing?
Pretty much, yeah. Automakers need to know how components will fare in every condition they can be tested in, cold, heat, wet, dry, bright, dark, smooth or rough. Besides, it takes way less than 38,000 miles for a salt belt car to look like that.

Automakers scrap everything that isn't part of official production, including most concept cars. Cars like these are notable to us today, but at the time they're just a hunk of metal, rubber and plastic that inevitably will have a refined version of for mass consumption, so there's no point keeping around the liability. In the case of the AWD MN12 it's a failed program, and we're lucky enough someone had the foresight to rescue it. If every concept, mule, test car or press car ended up in a museum the property would be massive, and there simply aren't enough private ones to house them instead either.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
A little more...
the car pulled .92 G's on a skidpad during development on stock sized tires and wheels.
It would also slosh the motor oil to the side of the pan and fry the rod bearings. LOL

The AWD boat is a dead thought. This thread should be closed honestly lol.
... just because you have absolutely nothing to contribute.

I still want the Blown V8 AWD Two-Door Coupe we were ripped off from getting in 98...
What the **** are you smoking Grog ??? pass that **** over here. LOL

In the case of the AWD MN12 it's a failed program, and we're lucky enough someone had the foresight to rescue it.
On that note, another failed Ford program was the Short Wheel Base MN12, but there were a few more built by AutoKraft after Ford ditched the idea.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
On that note, another failed Ford program was the Short Wheel Base MN12, but there were a few more built by AutoKraft after Ford ditched the idea.
Doug Kielian (of Auto Kraft) is a posting member of the TCCoA FB group. He was actually just talking about doing another SWB SC.

·
Super Moderator
10,332 Posts
We were supposed to get the SVO blower as an option in 98, from thing I've read.

Now, a V8 SuperCoupe SHO SWB AWD car would be Totally Kickass!

:grin2:

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
We were supposed to get the SVO blower as an option in 98, from thing I've read.

Now, a V8 SuperCoupe SHO SWB AWD car would be Totally Kickass!

:grin2:
Where did you read that ?? In 1998 there were supposed to be two engines available - the standard V8 and a slightly higher output V8 NA. Ive never read anything about the SVO being an option.

Bluesmore on the SCCOA owns a SVO powered 4.6L 1996 Tbird that was a prototype for a potential SVT Tbird canidate, but Ford was more interested in the NA DOHC for the SVT Tbird. The SVO went on to be an aftermarket item for the Mustang.

I think it would be cool to see a book made about all of the protype vehicles that never made it to production versus the museum idea.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Can anyone tell by the pictures what kind of transfer case / front diff were used? Would be interesting to know.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
I'm more inclined to believe what Dan was saying, that if a 98 MN12 was ever built..
It would have had the 4.6L DOHC engine as an option..
Basically just a Mark VIII engine..

Ford used a lot of parts from the Mark VIII on the MN12, so I don't see it being out of the realm of possibility..
That the engine could have been used as well..

I could see An SVO blower being an available aftermarket goodie, but not stock on an MN12..

Back on the subject of the AWD SuperCoupe..

IMO..The AWD MN12 were nothing more than test mules..
You got to remember here..The Ford execs we're already pissed on how much the 2WD car was costing them to make..
There was no ******* way, they were going to accept the added costs of an AWD system on this car..

I think once the big wigs down at Ford realized the costs associated with the AWD program..
They quickly squashed the program all together..

This isn't the first oddball test mule MN12 anyways..
I guess you could say it is the most ambitious test mule.. :zdunno:

Many of the other MN12 test mules received different engine combinations that were never offered to the public..

The AWD SuperCoupe deserves a place in MN12 history..
Like, what could have been if Ford took a loss and actually made these available to the public..

Rayo..

41 - 60 of 80 Posts