TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys know I'm working on my bathroom. Instead of it getting my pictures buried in the picture thread, I'd rather them be here for more centralization of posts / searchability.

This date stamp on the picture shows I've been working on this bathroom since September 22 of 2018!

These are pictures of when I first started. I've posted these elsewhere before, I'm not sure where exactly, but they're here.

This termite damage was the reason why I stopped working on the bathroom for almost 6 months. I was afraid of finding more damage and / or active termite colonies. Thankfully I didn't find much more damage and no active colonies! I'm thinking the previous owners tented the house.

All of that wood eventually was replaced once I got the confidence that I both, knew what to do and found no active termite movement.

With the removal of the damaged wood, I decided to remove the door frame of my hallway. I never liked that thing and always planned on removing it. This provided the perfect opportunity to remove the frame.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Framing removed.

Drywall up. The only witness marks of there ever having been a door frame there are the two little "stubs" in the flooring and the "bump" in the ceiling. Once we get flooring put in, the "stubs" will be gone leaving just the little "bump" in the ceiling.

Then it was onto the window! Everyone told me this support system I built was a bit overkill. When I finished this, I agreed, lol. But hey, better safe than sorry!!

Old window ripped out. Note additional termite damage here.

New wood and framing getting setup for the new window.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Per the wife's request, we built a cubby for putting shampoos and other **** like that on the wall. We talked about placement of said cubby being on the wall opposite the drain side or on the exterior wall for a good amount of time. We decided on the exterior wall to prevent accidental damage to the tile should we ever mount anything directly behind the shower in the bedroom side.

Stucco work. This was my first time ever doing this. I got help from one of my neighbors who does cement work for a living. I only asked him after my two batches of mix came out looking like soup because I kept adding too much water. All the videos I saw never showed how much water to apply to your mix, it only showed how to apply stucco!! Now I know though and now I can do it myself for the next time I need to do any stucco work.

You can hardly tell that work was done here. The only way you can really tell is at night when the porch light is on at night making the shadows where the imperfections lie, lol. But during the day, it's pretty hard to tell.

Onto plumbing! After a few YouTube videos showing how to sweat pipe, and aside from the few pieces of practice pipe I used in the garage, this was my first time sweating pipes. I can't believe how super easy it is to do!

Also, by this point in time, I've already added most of my insulation to the inside of the bathroom.

I had to extend this upwards as the previous setup was tub only. Sweating pipe "upside down" was also a first for me.

Removing the mastic was a royal PITA. This compound stuff I got from HD, while it worked, wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. I had hoped that this stuff would "do it's thing" and all I'd have to do is just come in and scrape the floor 20 - 30 minutes later, but no. I had to let this stuff sit for at least 4hrs and even then I had to use a metal brush to take it off. After that, I used a scraper to pick up the greasy / oily residue from the floor and dump it in a plastic bag. Afterwards, I used warm soapy water and an old sponge to pick up any remaining residue. I did the entire floor in small batches because eff that, lol.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Once that was completed, I went and topped off my flooring with self leveling cement. After doing that, I now know that one 50lb bag does about 25sq/ft. I used this stuff because while the floor looked level, it certainly wasn't level. There were areas of the foundation where it sat higher and was "curvy". One of the most notable areas for this was around the toilet drain and the area on the far side of the tub. I have a feeling the rest of my house will need this treatment when it comes to getting floors put in.

Tub time! I literally went through 3 bathtubs before getting one that wasn't damaged out of the box. Unfortunately, that meant that the tub I wanted wasn't the one I got. I had to "settle" for a low end tub. The tub I wanted was 12" deep, pre-insulated, and had a 45* back. The tub I ended up getting was 10" deep, non-insulated, and a flat back. For the purposes of getting the job done, I ended up getting that tub.

4 cans of expanding foam stuff later, and I insulated the sumbish myself!! Oh, and the access panel too, lol.

However, had I known that this effing drain was going to be such a PITA, I would have waited on getting my tub longer. The drain pipe was all sorts of wrong and wouldn't come off. It's one of those things where it's supposed to be a simple job (removing a threaded pipe) but for whatever reason it just doesn't want to comply!!! In the end, it took 24hrs of PB Blaster soak time, heat, and channel locks to get the heffer off.

This drain pipe though... I went through two of these before I got it right. The first one, my measurements were off. The second one, I didn't realize that the tub wasn't centered to the hole. So the third time, I got a flexi-tube thing and made it work. That's where I'm at with it now, but because of it, I've managed to install the tub!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
You're getting good at this!

Want to come over and do the tub in our house in Louisiana? Come over during Mudbug Madness, and you can have all the crawfish you can eat!

Wait ... might be cheaper to just pay the plumber! 😜🤪

RwP

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't mind waiting a year and 3 months or more, sure! 🤣

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
MudBugMadness 2021.

We'll leave the light on for you! :)