TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to get this off of my chest; After owning two 1995 birds for a total of 14 years, I am having a hard time liking the looks of my new 1997 from the front. The bulge, (which I realize is needed for the intake), the oversized chrome bird, the entire look of the nose, is ill designed. I wish I knew an easy way to change it. Am I a loner in this opinion?

In my opinion, the nose on the 94/95 is the best of the 10th generation.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Just had to get this off of my chest; After owning two 1995 birds for a total of 14 years, I am having a hard time liking the looks of my new 1997 from the front. The bulge, (which I realize is needed for the intake), the oversized chrome bird, the entire look of the nose, is ill designed. I wish I knew an easy way to change it. Am I a loner in this opinion?

I like the 94/95 nose better too, and it's an easy swap, just put a different bumper cover on. Looks great with the 96/97 headlights and hood.

I like the "power bulge" hood personally, and the side moldings look good with a LE stripe of a contrasting color on them.
As for the bird, you can always plastidip it a different color if you don't want it to be chrome.

Reactions: Tbird Bob

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have had both, and like the 96-97 style better. It has a newer look to it. Got to go with the times! (it's like we're having this conversation in 1996)

On the other hand, I do miss the options my 1995 had, it had everything except Trak-loc. But the responsiveness and extra low-end torque from the 96-97's intake manifold sure makes up for it.

Al

Reactions: Tbird Bob

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Of the variations, I do like the 96-97 best as an overall package. I toyed with pulling off the side cladding, getting a 94-95 front bumper cover and 94-95 SC rear bumper cover, but the look with the cladding and LE stripe has grown on me. My prior 97 had been in a front end accident prior to my ownership and had a 94/95 front end (with radiator support and headlights too) with a 97 hood. Liked it overall, but as I said, I've grown to like the 96/97 look best. It's the "cleanest" in my opinion. I don't like the front end gash on the 5.0's, and don't like the 89-93 V6 front bumpers.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts

Want to open up the nose?
It's an easy fix with this one tool

·
Registered
567 Posts
I removed my grille and bird when I pulled my front end off. I re did the bird as a brushed silver, repainted the black spacing, and the blue diamonds are now red. Itll go back in but itll be floating. I like the 96 fronts, not so much the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Color Change

Thanks for all of the input. The bottom line is, a blind man would be glad to see any one of our cars. Overall, I could not be more pleased to have been able to find this car in such great condition. I've named her Stella. I can't wait to do the mandrel bent exhaust swap from my '95.

I am getting used to the cladding. One of the stylistic problems on the bumper cover is how the license plate holder breaks up the horizontal line. Such is not the case on the 94/95. I should have been a car designer, :). Somehow, :) the front plate holder disappeared on my '95, and the appearance was smooth and unbroken. I hope the one on the '97 doesn't wind up missing, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I removed my grille and bird when I pulled my front end off. I re did the bird as a brushed silver, repainted the black spacing, and the blue diamonds are now red. Itll go back in but itll be floating. I like the 96 fronts, not so much the back.
Would you mind elaborating on the headlamp treatment. I like the dark look to them. What's the process?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like the 89-93 the best, matches the body better. 94-95s look too much like a Pontiac Sunfire and 96-97s look too much like a Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Well, I have a 98 eclipse in the family fleet, and I don't see the resemblance....

To my knowledge, the only major similarity between them is that they both rust profusely :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Move south. :)

I wanted to add the SNL "Two Wild and Crazy Guys" line about "These slacks show off our enormous Bulges" to this, but I couldn't find the clip.

And, no one would probably recognize it.

:)

The Eclipse clearly has an off center bulge; the 96-97 cars are nice and symmetric. Unless you have to cut a hole to fit an intake, lol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, the eclipse's off center bulge gets a lot of head scratching; it was a design for the ones that had the 4g63/64 engines which needed more hood clearance for the cam gears. It was probably easier for them to just make one hood across all trim levels. I like it though.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Would you mind elaborating on the headlamp treatment. I like the dark look to them. What's the process?
The headlight front cover is removable, so I just took it off, covered the actual reflective part of the housing with painters tape, and painted the rest black. Theres a thread on how to cut the corners lens out to do the same but I couldnt be bothered so I painted the perimeter black.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The headlight front cover is removable, so I just took it off, covered the actual reflective part of the housing with painters tape, and painted the rest black. Theres a thread on how to cut the corners lens out to do the same but I couldnt be bothered so I painted the perimeter black.
Very interesting about the removable cover. Now I understand what those clips are for. One of my headlights is missing the clip. Guess I'd better visit the Ford dealer before the other one pops off and I lose a lens.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,517 Posts
Well, I have a 98 eclipse in the family fleet, and I don't see the resemblance....

To my knowledge, the only major similarity between them is that they both rust profusely :laugh:
The post-facelift DSMs have more resemblance, which is particularly fitting since both were hasty 90s facelifts to an 80s body to keep them fresh. Either way, I never said they look EXACTLY the same, they just bear resemblance, look at the headlight shapes and hood to bumper cutlines, even the second gen you have has them if you look at those areas in isolation.

94-95s don't look EXACTLY like a Pontiac Sunfire either, but the bumper nostrils sure do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts