TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
no need to use a non stock thermostat unless you have your computer tuned to turn the fan on earlier also.

JH

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
hmmmm i wouldn't think that would matter at speed the fan is not required to cool the radiator no matter if it's stock or 180* Sure its not gonna help if ur stopped though.

Also, you can turn on ur fan by turning the climate control to defrost.

·
Registered
138 Posts
PLease explain. I was thinking about going w/ the 180 T-stat as well, but i haven't really thought about the fan factor. I don't really know enough about it to decide if it's right for my '93 3.8 LX.

·
Registered
647 Posts
crisqob, you don't have to worry about the fan factor on your '93, you have a belt/clutch driven fan...

·
Registered
138 Posts
what would i have to do if i swapped the clutch fan w/ an electric one plus the 180* T-stat?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Depends on what kind of relay and switch you plan on using for your e-fan. I run a 180* tstat and a MK8 fan and I put the adjustable tstat for the fan in the radiator and it kicks on at 200 degrees.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i was thinking about upgrading to an electric fan and water pump so i can free up alittle bit. do all electric fans come with adjustablr t-stats?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
they usually come seperately, you can buy a preset fan t-stat or an adjustable. Mine is present to 180* and I have a 180* thermostat. So basically, when the thermostat opens, the fan turns on.

I wouldn't run an electric water pump. They love to fail. And they're mostly used for air/liquid intercoolers.

-Thomas

·
Registered
138 Posts
is it a good idea to run the fan T-stat at 180*when the T-stat valve opens, or should i set the fan t-stat alittle higher than the 180* T-stat? If you can even understand what the hell i just said.LOL!

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Depends on what you want really. Mine comes on 5-8 degrees higher than the thermostat, but it hardly ever comes on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts