TCCoA Forums banner

341 - 360 of 397 Posts

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
AFS still has them: http://www.shop.afswheels.com/Cobra-Wheels_c8.htm?page=all

They're in some other places like Jegs and Summit I believe too. An 18" cast is out there, just if it's available/specable to MN12's is another thing. That would be my choice wheel: 18x9s and a machined finish, the look is hard to beat.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
Ill look into all of these wheels again and see whats available. However, the 93 directionals was one I tried to put together but not enough interest. That cast is available but it requires both left and right wheels. So that means a crap load of wheels have to be built to do it since we have to order left and right. I think the old thread is in the new products area of the SCCoA.

The 18" 03' cobra wheel is something I always ask about when I talk to manufacturers. It does seem that AFS is still building it, I tried reaching out to them a long long time ago and they were not receptive to me at all. I know a few folks in the game and that seems to be a hard cast to find. I agree that its one of the best looks for our cars.

Appreciate all the input and interest, Ill be making some calls!!

Brad

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,044 Posts
Huh, I stand corrected, I was under the impression AFS stopped making them, and I even think their website had them listed as N/A when I was last looking. Love that wheel in 18"

Interesting to hear AFS's reception to you, maybe that's why American Muscle and Late Model Restoration seem to have moved on to SVE( who only stock those goofy DD 17" versions, yuck). I remember both of those sites for sure carried 18" 03 Cobra reps around 08 or 09, I almost bought a machined set with the black inserts.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
Matt, there is only one reason a manufacturer would stop using a cast and that is that the last casting took too long to clear from their warehouse floors. Most of these companies want stock cleared in weeks or it gets the axe. Very few will hold on to a niche market anymore. So they will either sell the cast or destroy it to create a new one. Just some insight Ive picked up along the way.

Brad

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
Spoke with AFS a few minutes ago and will get a call back from them. However looking at what they offer in the 03 Cobra wheel it seems their cast might not be adjustable to the offset we need. Otherwise I thing they would be building that wheel in a 05-12 fitment option. We'll see what they head cat has to say I guess.

Brad

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Geez that would be sweet. Thank for working on this Brad.

-Joel

·
Super Moderator
19,044 Posts
Well you could also do the hub swap and find a set of 5 lug ones(weather through a GP or used). I don't know why you'd want a spacer, the lower Fox/SN95 offsets mean the wheels get pushed further OUT than MN12 offset wheels, a spacer would push them even further out

·
̇
3,701 Posts
cudaz101 said:
If anyone has a style request they thing would look right on a Thunderbird/Cougar/Mark then please post up your opinions.
Brad..

I don't know if it's possible, but I have a style request that I think would do well with MN12 enthusiast..

I'm sure you remember the original Thunderbird SVT Wheels

Well..There is a quite a bit available as far as aftermarket Cobra R/SVT style wheels..

The problem I see is..Not everyone wants to run a wide wheel on their MN12, and add the cost of the wider tires as well..

If it's possible to cast Thunderbird SVT Wheels in the original specs..I think they would do well..

5 X 4.25" Bolt Circle
5.57" Backspacing
+39mm Offset
17" x 7" Wide

I see people looking for these all the time.. :)

Rayo..

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
Brad..

I don't know if it's possible, but I have a style request that I think would do well with MN12 enthusiast..

I'm sure you remember the original Thunderbird SVT Wheels

Well..There is a quite a bit available as far as aftermarket Cobra R/SVT style wheels..

The problem I see is..Not everyone wants to run a wide wheel on their MN12, and add the cost of the wider tires as well..

If it's possible to cast Thunderbird SVT Wheels in the original specs..I think they would do well..

5 X 4.25" Bolt Circle
5.57" Backspacing
+39mm Offset
17" x 7" Wide

I see people looking for these all the time.. :)

Rayo..

Ray, this issue is that I dont have a cast available to me to support those specs. Have you compared prices with a 245-50-17 vs 245-45-18? I think you might be surprised. Availability is sooo much better in the 18's than it is the 17's. This is one of the reasons 17's are no longer as desirable as 18's.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
19,044 Posts
Yup, the reason I chose my wheels back in 07 or 08 came down to tire cost, the 18" termis wheels were just way too much in comparison to what 17s were so that clinched it(and I liked my wheel design quite a bit too of course). But 6 years later the cost has really balanced out and with recent trends 18s are becoming the norm and should become even more affordable in years to come.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Brad, here is maybe a more fruitful lead: Discount Tire Direct actually had a few sets of replica y2k cobra R's in 18x9 5x114.3 +36 a while back. That would be perfect if the cast could be tracked down! They are made by Replica Alloys, and the wheel was MSTG CB2. Here is an expired ebay listing I found of the wheel, although with different offset. Also a link to a mustang board with a guy from DTD discussing them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-18X9-...l76i88%2BMSZn7%2B%2FM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/discount-tire-235/785188-2000-cobra-r-silver.html

I had talked at length about these to one of the guys at DTD, I could probly dig up his info if it would help. Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on these and the hub swap. Here's a picture of the wheel they sent me:

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
More information. I emailed the guy I talked to at DTD last night and he said the wheel was a replica made by Voxx. He gave me this link, but I don't see anything for the CB2.

http://www.voxxwheel.com/eng/wheels/replica/

·
The Parts Guy
7,647 Posts
If anyone has a style request they thing would look right on a Thunderbird/Cougar/Mark then please post up your opinions.
If these were produced in our bolt pattern in a 17x8 and 17x10 or even 18x10 staggered arrangement, I'd certainly be interested.

(Picture stolen from Tim Groth)

Same goes for these, from American Racing:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Brad,

I'm looking on your website at the 17X8 Junk Yard Dog Coddington Billet.

Are they chrome or polished?
Do you have any pictures of them on a Cougar (or a bird)?
Shipping to 74464?

Thanks,
Rob

341 - 360 of 397 Posts