TCCoA Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 104 Posts
Why do you need to know what year cars got the PI intake? Are you going to get it from a junk yard? With the PI intake being in the FRPP line of parts it is crazy to not get it new.

Mustangs got PI heads in 1999 and Panthers got them in 2001. Explorers always had them, everything else intake wise doesn't matter as it is the truck intake.

While I got MOST information here for the PI intake swap, I picked up bits and pieces from all over. Everything from here was model specific, and other sources were general. The sticky pointing to a tech article that is just search results is sorta funny.

Discussion starter · #82 ·
I'm sorry but I'm the kind of guy who likes to get things right the first time
Do things right the first time?!?!?!

:bs:

Give me a freaking break....

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=123967
Recently I was informed that I had a coolant leak coming from around the end of the upper radiator hose going into the radiator. At first I just thought I had hit a puddle that splashed mud up and onto the engine. I think the shop thought it was mud too but they notcied coolant when they ran their finger along the bottom of the hose. I've come to realize that the mud is really coolant after cleaning the engine and finding a muddy engine again the very next day.

Before cleaning the engine I put an egg into the coolant. I didn't think it mattered where I added the egg so I poured it into the resevoir. From what I could tell from the topics that I've read I couldn't tell what I was supposed to do with it seeing as how our radiators do not have caps and I figured taking off a hose was more trouble than it was worth. I don't think the egg helped with the leak but it did appear to help with the cooling so maybe it plugged an opening within the radiator itself.

Just in case I bought a new hose and some clamps. When I removed the old hose I can tell that the side of the nipple is cracked and there may be some other cracks nearby. Apparently the new hose was an XL (extra long?) so I had to trim a few inches from each end to make it fit, (I hate Autozone). I hoping that a newer snug hose and new clamps will help keep it from spraying but I'm sure it'll only become worse. When I have the funds I am going to buy a Griffin radiator so I don't have to worry about cracking plastic again.

Right now I'm in the process of refilling the coolant but the coolant sensor is bugging me. Even though the resevoir is full the low coolant light keeps on blaring at me. Now I'm trying to figure out if the sensor had gone bad due to the coolant level being low for a few weeks or because the egg has gunked it up? Was I supposed to add the egg strait into the radiator?

If that post of yours doesn't humble you quickly, just keep going. I'm sure I'll get fed up with this thread REAL quick.

Yes, I was planning on pulling an intake from the junkyard but if the guy selling the typhoon would get back to me I'll be getting that here. Over the years while I've lurked here I've read of all of the issues about leaks that people have had and I'm doing what I can to help myself and hopefully other people in doing this correctly. I know the info is here but there so much scattered all around I cannot be certain what works best.
If youre trying to go about doing this correctly, buy a brand new intake manifold and skip the junkyard at all costs. Plastic tends to become brittle after so many years, so save yourself the future trouble and just buy a new one .. they are fairly inexpensive and the extra cost associated with buying new versus used is well worth the peace of mind.

As far as the swap article, on a 96/97 the PI intake is exactly the same as replacing the NPI intake manifold .. remove, clean surfaces, install new gaskets, install manifold. Updating a 94/95 is a matter of replacing the fuel lines, fuel rails, intake tube, plenum, EGR assembly and tube, vacuum lines, and re-wiring for the sensors / moving the wiring from the middle of the manifold to the outsides - or picking up an engine harness from a 96/97 and re-pinning if necessary. If you have all of the parts necessary, its a fairly simple job.

On a side note, you need to chill out. If some of us sound condescending its because we are tired of spoon feeding cry babies and the whiskey is starting to kick in.

See, more info that I may have gleaned in the past but I would never have remembered all of these specifics. I honestly have no idea what FRPP is or which intake would be the same as the ones for vehicles you mentioned. Now I'm wondering what in the hell is a Panther? Like I said I hope to get that typhoon which is mostly new and I'm assuming all aluminium whether polished or not.

My biggest concern is do I buy the gasket for any PI intake or the NPI intake? I thought I read that it's the NPI one that's used along with some RTV but my mind is still fogged up from the time I tried to use that link. It must be time to play some more Bad Company 2.
Seriously, I think it's time you learned to search more than playing some first person shooter. If you had bothered using google, you would have figured this stuff out pretty quickly (the first few options from Google should answer your questions).

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=google+ford+FRPP&safe=off

https://www.google.com/webhp?source..._th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=google+ford+panther&safe=off

PI intake or non PI intake gaskets. This is NOT a tbird specific question. Start reading DIYs.
-g

Is that what you do all day? Try to contradict people? BS man. This was 5 years ago and didn't really amount to anything other than messing up the sensor for a bit but whatever. You just want to piss me off because what???? Yes, please leave if all you can be is condescending! You know your ONLY contribution to that topic was just another joke and how likely was that? By the way don't go editing what I type when you realize how much of a prick you are making yourself out to be. If only it was possible just to block seeing the posts of people who troll and then we could just block each other and live in blissful ignorance.

Don't mistake my lightheartedness as a weakness. I can at least still plead ignorance despite the knowledge I think I have.
1: Super Moderators and Lifetime Members aren't going anywhere, I'm sure they'd rather see you leave first, since they keep the forum running and are paying contributors to the site.
2: As a Super Moderator he has the right to edit any content for any reason.
3: There is a way for you to block people on vbulletin forums. You've been a member since 2007 and don't know how, google it.

From all the articles and posts you still can't determine which gaskets to use?

This is day 5 of posts, I think I did 2 days of scraping info, ordered the parts, had them all in hand, and had the crossover at a machine shop to be drilled and tapped at 5 days. From start to finish I was at a week. I had to swap the intake, mine had cracked dumped all the coolant at once (causing me to nearly spin out in it).

There was .001% of the information available 10 years ago than there is today. It was still debated and argued that it couldn't be done. More people used nPI gaskets then, even with the number of mismatches versus using PI gaskets. There are even kits (that come with intake, gaskets, nipple, coolant tube, etc) and adapter plates (haven't seen them recently though).

All this bantering for a modification that will gain you ZERO performance benefits. :tongue:
Zero performance benefits from a PI intake swap?

Even going from a 96/97 nPI intake setup to PI there is a gain.

Going from a boat anchor EGR clogged aluminum intake and according case intake to a PI intake is an even bigger gain.

I didn't drive my 97 Cougar with just the PI intake swap for long, but there was an obvious seat of the pants difference. While most of my gains and drivability came from the JMod and a tune with minor supporting things, I don't think it would have been the same without the PI intake.

Zero performance benefits from a PI intake swap?

Even going from a 96/97 nPI intake setup to PI there is a gain.

Going from a boat anchor EGR clogged aluminum intake and according case intake to a PI intake is an even bigger gain.

I didn't drive my 97 Cougar with just the PI intake swap for long, but there was an obvious seat of the pants difference. While most of my gains and drivability came from the JMod and a tune with minor supporting things, I don't think it would have been the same without the PI intake.
LOL .. im messing with you. Chill out bro.

I should say, VERY SMALL performance gain. I dont believe its that noticeable. Sorry, my cars have DOHC engines, Superchargers, 400 HP, etc .. if it doesnt involve a full on PI head swap its not a very big performance gain. Whats big to you guys is small fries to me I guess, so we can just agree to disagree. ;)

I just finished a 2.2L 4 cylinder to 4.3L V6 swap in my brother in law's Chevy S10. Did I go to the S10 forum and kick up a big dust storm ?? No, I just threw it all together and made it happen.

I don't disagree, I chalk a lot of the PI intake's change in feel on my car to the fact that I started with a 94/5 with an even worse intake. I barely noticed any difference at all going to PI heads/cams, the gain is there in the E/Ts but the car doesn't feel different on the street at all. Gears trans converter and tune are what are really noticable.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.