TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
supposed to be able to handle up to 700hp, my buddy managed to break this one after about 300 miles. hes putting down about 500 crank hp and was on street tires when he did this, shifting into third.

and this is what i did while waiting for his dad to show up with the beaver-tail :D

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
That's beautiful. Make a good sound? :D

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Josh_Keady said:
That's beautiful. Make a good sound? :D
actually wasnt that loud. similiar to a rubber mallet hitting concrete really hard. seriously not very loud.

what a pain that was for him to troubleshoot.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Transmissions can handle power just fine. it's torque that kills them.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GreenBird said:
Transmissions can handle power just fine. it's torque that kills them.
yea, but i figured if i posted 700lb-ft someone would have asked about hp.

whats strange is that he was at really low rpm and he wouldnt have been making much torque when he went WOT.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Maybe a freakish input shaft? Something bad in the molecular structure of if the metal maybe? It sucks to see a TKO bite the dust, but you can find education in anything.

Nice burnout too. :)

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
I had an 87 Mustang with close to 600hp and....

broke the tranny in the same place.I also had that version tremec and it was brand new.Went to English Town,did my burn out,staged,dropped the clutch and BAM!!!!! Nothing.Got pushed off the track,towed back to my house in Hillside NJ and tore it all apart.Took it back and they replaced it for free.Wow,how nice of them huh?Said they never seen that happen before.
I thought it was a freak accident but now who knows.
Chris

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
But how much torque were you making at the crank?

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
That was all estimated hp....

AverageJoe said:
But how much torque were you making at the crank?
I never really had it on the dyno but it was just an estimated guess.It was a 306,dart heads,forged everything,GT 40 upper and lower with about 15 pounds of boost.There was alot more in the engine but I am not going to list it all.Takes to much time to type it all,lol.
I ran a best of 11.20 at 124mph.
Chris

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, either way, it takes some power to snap off a TH-3550 :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
That Tranny is only rated to 350 ft/lbs, I did alot research about transmissions before I decided to go with a T-45, and the standard TR3550 is rated to 350 there is a truck version that rated to 375 but they are hard to come by. It still sucks !

·
Registered
489 Posts
a coworker of mine has a 10 sec mustang and he was dumping the clutch at 5400 with a 175 shot plate system on slicks and never had a problem, he has since switched to a c-4 to go faster but never had a hickup out of the 3550, he did however go through 5 t-5's

I like mine also

josh

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Skidonenko said:
a coworker of mine has a 10 sec mustang and he was dumping the clutch at 5400 with a 175 shot plate system on slicks and never had a problem, he has since switched to a c-4 to go faster but never had a hickup out of the 3550, he did however go through 5 t-5's

I like mine also

josh
yea, its weird. he wasnt even WOT when it happened. i suspect it was just a defective shaft or that it might have been somewhat damaged during shipping. hes getting a new unit for free anyway.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
My guess is something was quirky with the metallurgy of that input shaft. Try as they might, that sort of thindg happens when you mass produce something. Hope they'll cover it under warranty or something.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hey Rob, would you know the number on that tranny. I would be curious to see wich model 3550 it was. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts