TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the first time I drove the 96 I bought, the first thing I notice was that the steering felt very tight...more so than any MN12 I have ever driven...I just figured it was the wider tires up front, more tread contact, etc.

A couple days after I bought the car, I realized that the farmiliar sound the power steering pump in all rear wheel drive fords I have ever driven makes was not there...I started to suspect that the power steering pump had been deleted, however, I was honestly afraid to look. Well, yesterday, I popped the hood. All that is there is an idler pully. No P/S pump at all....honestly, the wheel is surprisingly easy to turn, even in parking lots, however, it would be nice to have power steering, especially since the speed sensative is real nice on these.

My concern is that I am putting undue stress on balljoints and the steering rack, column, etc.

What I can't figure is why the hell would somebody get rid of the power steering...must have had something to do with the car getting steeda underdrive pullies....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I eliminated my power steering as well, for better 1/4 mile times. No idler pully tho, just a short belt.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
you didn't even open the hood when you bought it?

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 95 bird is a father daughter 1/4mile project car.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You do know that with power assist, you are exerting more force on the steering components? The only undue stress is one your own arms. Power steering has nothing to do with Steeda UDPs.
That's not true. Without the power steering, you are putting much more force on the steering column and rag joint.

Not on the ball joints and tie rods - that part, you had partly right. It's not more, it's the same amount ... because if the power steering applied more force to the tie rods, the car would turn farther. You control that by how far you turn the wheel, so you get the same amount of force at the tie rods with or without power steering.

I have driven one with the power steering not working. It definitely took much more force than it did with the power steering.

·
Registered
836 Posts
No lines, resivior or anything there? I've never seen a power steering delete pulley for a mod motor.
Most people just bypass it with a 64 inch belt. thats what I did.

Who in the world deletes power steering on these? I hate driving without powersteering lol. (except at the track)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
These cars aren't that bad without ps I drove my black car w/o for years daily, but they sure give your arms a workout in a parking lot lol.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,598 Posts
Most people just bypass it with a 64 inch belt. thats what I did.

Who in the world deletes power steering on these? I hate driving without powersteering lol. (except at the track)
A bypassed belt really doesnt represent true manual steering, Its much more effort because of the fluid still in the system with no way to be circulated around.

Honestly if I didn't ever have to park or back out of my driveway I wouldn't mind manual steering at all. Its not much more effort than power assist when moving, plus IMO its waaay too numb and overboosted on these cars as is.

And most importantly there arent a dozen random leaks that are a pita to repair:tongue:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked under the hood when I bought it, just didn't look DOWN in that area....I'm not mad about it or anything...a bit surprised, but in no way upset, I really like this car a lot...

Where the power steering pump would be, all I see is a pully, nothing else. The belt goes around that pully. Somebody post a photo of what it's SUPPOSED to look like.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If there is a pump it will be directly behind the pulley. From the top, the pump is not very visible if you are just glancing down at it. Is there a power steering fluid reservoir mounted off the driver side head near the coil pack?

I hope your continued sleuthing doesn't lead you to deduce that you never actually purchased a '96 thunderbird and in fact have just been pedaling around a girl's bicycle, just kidding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts