TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been disconnecting my battery when my car sits because it has a slow drain.
ive read online this is in turn resetting my cpu :confused:

what are the effects of doing this? ive read about cars taking a certain amount of time to relearn things does this apply to my vehicle also??
and what does it relearn?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
the only things that need to be accounted for are sensors that are perhaps old-aged and perhaps not functioning 100% as they should....things like the IAC vavle for idling and driveability, Oxygen sensors for fine tuning the A/F ratio, and probably a few more things.....if everything is in 100% working order, you should not notice any kind of learning going on and the car should drive normal.....but if you have non OEM replacement parts that are not quite up to spec as true OEM parts, then the EEC may have to adjust things here and there

are you experiencing any ill effects?

·
Registered
986 Posts
loud car,

Do you have the car where you could hook up a trickle charger? That's what I'm doing with my Bird now and it is always fully charged up and ready to roll. A good unit only costs about $50.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sadly this car is full of ill effects.

i dont have a garage or carport so i guess i'll continue disconnecting it..
it take about a week to kill my battery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mark VIII's seem to go through a wicked relearn cycle and even mine with 58,000 miles on it that runs flawlessly stalls out and runs like crap for 2-3 days after the battery is disconnected for over an hour or so (and it clears out all the settings and resets everything to base)

Both my old gen 1 and my gen 2 also get "quicker" depending how you drive it. If you drive it slow and old lady like, thats how it is when u get on it. If you give it some nice WOT bursts, it seems like the car actually "wakes up" ...floating software

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
that only means that there is some malfunctioning hardware somewhere, if there is an evident relearn cycle....worn plugs, plug wires, maf meter, oxygen sensors, TPS sensor, bad vacuum lines, etc, can all contribute to some lengthy adaptation...so it has nothing to do with the car, it has to do with the maintenance associated with it

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
If that is the case then my 94 T'bird, 97 LSC, and 97 Aspire, and my mom's 96 GM all have problems somewhere (which I doubt Well maybe the LSC….).

IIRC, per the manual it states that during the learning cycle you may notice erratic idle, surging, etc. (Someone please verify that as I don't have my manual in front of me).

I believe when Ford went to OBD-II they also went with the adaptive strategy that changes the tune based on driving habits. Drive it like a granny and it is down on power vs. if you hot rod it all the time.

I’ve done that with both my LSC and my Aspire and there is definitely a noticeable driving feel change based on how I drive them.

But just my .02. :thumbsup:

For the OP: Find the battery drain and fix the problem instead of doing things to circumvent the symptom. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, I'm no ford tech by any means, but i fully agree with the adaptive strategy as 94 Daily driven stated. There are times where i drive in a more fuel efficent manner and the car seems to be slow and sluggish when i need it to be quick. However if i'm hot rodding around it seems to have alot more spunk so to speak.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
I believe when Ford went to OBD-II they also went with the adaptive strategy that changes the tune based on driving habits. Drive it like a granny and it is down on power vs. if you hot rod it all the time.
Absolutely not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts