TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has a T-Bird that is in the 13's to 11's in the 1/4 mile WITH THE 4.6L MOTOR, not the DOHC Cobra motor. If you can hit these times, how much work / money did you have to throw in to do it?

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Do a search on JL, he is in the 12s on a N/A 4.6 SOHC and so is KDanner.Blake is in the 11s with a 4.6 Superchrged motor.
Chris

Edit, JL is Johnny Langton by the way

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
you should probably point out whether you're looking for N/A, NOS, supercharged, etc. times

i believe Johnny Langton is the fastest N/A, but there are faster people with NOS and supercharged, i believe

oh and technically,the DOHC Cobra/Mark VIII is a 4.6L motor....just twice as many cams :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
the new n/a record is set my KD. Also note both JL and KD run with full interior weight.

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
guitar maestro said:
you should probably point out whether you're looking for N/A, NOS, supercharged, etc. times

i believe Johnny Langton is the fastest N/A, but there are faster people with NOS and supercharged, i believe

oh and technically,the DOHC Cobra/Mark VIII is a 4.6L motor....just twice as many cams :D
as far as i seen jl is the quickest N/A but kd is the fastest N/A
EDIT: kd is by about .03 quicker

to run 13's you need about 2k on P*P job for heads or u can do the Pi swap and not getn em P*P and about 600-900 for a TC about $1500 for a trans , $700 for rear end , 450 for drive shaft , 450 for a dyno tune , a good intake , slicks and other misc this were just some est .

Jurgen

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
i think JL runs full interior...

to run 13's you need about 2k on P*P job for heads or u can do the Pi swap and not getn em P*P and about 600-900 for a TC about $1500 for a trans , $700 for rear end , 450 for drive shaft , 450 for a dyno tune , a good intake , slicks and other misc this were just some est .
you dont need to spend all that much...200 for a ds....your stock tranny with a nice jmod and cooler will hold for a little bit...rear ends can be built for 400 ish if you dont buy it new from ford 3.73....450 for a good tune is about right....maybe to low with some of the charges around my area...600-900 is for an aftermarket one...for a budet tc you have a few choices of some not half bad factory TC's...im only buying the factory maurder TC b/c its a small 100 bucks...thats really cheap for alot better tc and higher stall....

KD has a custom n/a engine also...JL has stock spec shortblock as KD has 11 to 1 compression or something to that effect...i think...there both amazing tho

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Just off the top of my head without a search:

Eric Z is running 13's with PI heads on an NPI bottom, bolt-ons and drive train upgrades.

I was mid 13's with a '96 -- bolt-ons, 3200 stall TC, 3.73's, Kooks, Renegade PNP NPI heads, Comp cams and proper tires.

Loopy22j is in the 12's with nitrous.

Blake-Vortech was running 12's in Atlanta on real slick track in humid air with a Vortech blower.

EECDOC is in the 11's with his Allen S/C

Chadg is in the 12's with his Vortech blower set up, with a lot more in the box.

Dr. FrankenCougie is 12's with a prototype Rousch blower.

There is a guy (can't remember his handle) in the 13's with a stock '94-95 with Compcams 102200 grind cams, bolt ons and drive train upgrades.

Where do you want to be???? There are a few different routes to the 13's N/A, or you get there with a 6psi Allen or SVO blower with PI cams and keep your stock bottom, for at least a while.

12's N/A will require, pnp heads, cams, intake swap, loose TC, 3.73's, sturdy trans, proper tires. At this point you'll be something over 300hp to the flywheel and running the stock bottom will be risky. You can hedge your bet a bit with a Mark bottom, they're a bit stronger and give you a slight compression bump.

At least that's what it's take to get there up to now, but there are some guys putting PI and cams on stock bottoms and that seems like it's gonna work real well for guys on a budget. As the guys get the bugs our and the tracks open back up, we'll know more about that. It looks real promising so far.

Up to now, money wise for SOLID 13's this is kinda what it's taken:

TC - $800
Driveshaft - $450
Cobra pumpkin - $600+
PnP heads - $2000+ (with upgraded hardware)
pi cams - $200
Chip or EEC tune - $300 - $400
upgraded MAF - $100
J-mod parts for trans - $100 (minimum requirement)
trans cooler - $200
70-75mm TB $200+
UD pulleys - $200
Exhaust upgrade - $200 - $600

Those are just very rough numbers.

I'd say that's the basics. You can save a bit by using a Mark TC and driveshaft, but you'll get better results with the aftermarket parts. And you can do without PNP heads if you put PI heads on the NPI bottom.

If you want to SC with low boost and keep your bottom end, I think the Allen setup is something over $3000 and the SVO SC kit is something over $2000.

If you are looking for a start, I'd say the 02 GT Maf, a chip, UD pullies, J-mod, trans cooler and Mercon V. That's about $1000 and good bang for the buck.

Next, the TC and 3.73's.

Then start working on getting the engine to breathe - heads, cams, exhaust, TB.

That's pretty much the way I went and it was fun. I saw performance improvements and better track times every step of the way.

-mike

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
There is a guy (can't remember his handle) in the 13's with a stock '94-95 with Compcams 102200 grind cams, bolt ons and drive train upgrades.
That is Hans Nickstadt's car.

If you wanna play, you have to pay. Nice list goldbird. Now I'm wondering why all of these guys aren't on the list (fastest MN12's)? There are others that have run in the 13's as well. We need to have a list that actually has ALL of the cars that are running pretty good. That way we could just point people to that page and they could see the times and then go to the page with (hopefully) an updated mod list. I think it has been well stated what it takes to get to the 13's or better.

Russell

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
96 GoldBird said:
Just off the top of my head without a search:

TC - $800
Driveshaft - $450
Cobra pumpkin - $600+
PnP heads - $2000+ (with upgraded hardware)
pi cams - $200
Chip or EEC tune - $300 - $400
upgraded MAF - $100
J-mod parts for trans - $100 (minimum requirement)
trans cooler - $200
70-75mm TB $200+
UD pulleys - $200
Exhaust upgrade - $200 - $600

Those are just very rough numbers.

I'd say that's the basics. You can save a bit by using a Mark TC and driveshaft, but you'll get better results with the aftermarket parts. And you can do without PNP heads if you put PI heads on the NPI bottom.

If you want to SC with low boost and keep your bottom end, I think the Allen setup is something over $3000 and the SVO SC kit is something over $2000.

If you are looking for a start, I'd say the 02 GT Maf, a chip, UD pullies, J-mod, trans cooler and Mercon V. That's about $1000 and good bang for the buck.

Next, the TC and 3.73's.

Then start working on getting the engine to breathe - heads, cams, exhaust, TB.

That's pretty much the way I went and it was fun. I saw performance improvements and better track times every step of the way.

-mike
Okay, that actually is pretty cheap for a fast car. So for $4 to $6 thousand, you get a preformer on the level of GT Stangs and Trans Ams?

What does all this do for your MPG?? Shoot it in the trash can?

I also don't know what 1/2 those things on there are, let alone their location. My problem is I don't know how to put the crap on, and paying someone else to do it would just cost tons of money :(

Btw, what are these you mentioned:

TC
Cobra Pumpkin
PnP Heads
Chip or ECC tune
PI cams
Trans Cooler (where do you put this??)
UD Pulleys
70-75mm TB
NPI Bottom

Thanks again for your help.. Just searching for some performance terminology!

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
TC --- Torque Converter (like a clutch on a manual trans. car, connects engine to transmission)

Cobra Pumpkin --- Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) 3.73 geared traction-lock aluminum differential

PnP Heads --- Ported & Polished cylinder heads

Chip or ECC tune --- A performance chip (or EEC reflash) from Reinhart, Apten, Dom, Superchips Custom Tuning, or another SCT dealer

PI cams --- 1999+ Mustang Camshafts

Trans Cooler (where do you put this??) --- Preferably somewhere it will have lots of air blown over it while you're driving down the track/highway. In front of the radiator is the most effiectient

UD Pulleys --- Underdrive pulleys, from March, Steeda, ASP, FRPP, or other, adds a noticeable punch

70-75mm TB --- Throttle Body, I'd look for a MAC or a Accufab

NPI Bottom --- Your Thunderbird's stock short block (engine, minus heads) which includes the crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistons mainly

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey cool stuff. Thanks a lot!

What about Edlebrock rockers? I have heard about them, don't they go on top of your valves and right underneath your valve covers??

I heard these things improve MPG, is this true?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
BlackCat94 said:
Trans Cooler (where do you put this??) --- Preferably somewhere it will have lots of air blown over it while you're driving down the track/highway. In front of the radio is the most effiectient

radiator. :)

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
JoeyICU said:
i think JL runs full interior...

you dont need to spend all that much...200 for a ds....your stock tranny with a nice jmod and cooler will hold for a little bit...rear ends can be built for 400 ish if you dont buy it new from ford 3.73....450 for a good tune is about right....maybe to low with some of the charges around my area...600-900 is for an aftermarket one...for a budet tc you have a few choices of some not half bad factory TC's...im only buying the factory maurder TC b/c its a small 100 bucks...thats really cheap for alot better tc and higher stall....

KD has a custom n/a engine also...JL has stock spec shortblock as KD has 11 to 1 compression or something to that effect...i think...there both amazing tho
thats doing it the poor mans route , basicly ur gone pay twice caz later ur gone want the good stuff , so look at my est prices that i posted and goldbirds

as far as your MPG i got basicly almost everything i posted thats needed to run 13's and more my MPG is like 17MPG in the city but i have to be nice to get that but its around 17 i dont get much on the high way

Jurgen

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah well i know that.....i was just saying.....if i was in the quest for that quick a times id spend the kind of money your talking about....for now im going to invest big in certain things.....smaller in others....so a mix of the two

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
o for underdrive pulleys....get steeda's aka asp.......the non piggyback kind.....the only kind worth geting....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm in the 13's with whats in my sig. Thats with all bolt-ons and still running a stock block and heads. Tranny is a stock 97' no J-mod or cooler. I've spent about $12,500 in mods and about $5,000 in labor. The Allen kit is great but not cheap.
If your worried about MPG then don't modify your ride. When your running 300hp it's really hard to keep your foot off the gas. Trust me my MPG sucks and with a supercharger you'll be running premium fuel.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts