TCCoA Forums banner

What should we do about Dennis Reinhart?

• Keep him around as if nothing happened.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Keep him around, but issue a public "buyer beware".

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Ban him temporarily until everybody forgets about this.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ban him permantly and let it go at that.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Ban him FOREVER and recommend that people NEVER buy from him again.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Ban Forever, recommend against him here, & warn every moderator of EVERY other site what he did here

Votes: 39 35.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as many of you have probably read, Dennis decided to play hardball and threaten legal action against me and the TCCoA for the "slanderous" comments about the transmission issue. While I personally believe his idea has no teeth, I'm not gonna get drug into some stupid legal battle......it's just not worth it.

Now the question is what do we do about him? I'll let you all decide.

Please, if you make any comments, keep them clean. Also you may feel completely free to say whatever you like about Dennis or his business so long as you include the words, "I think" or "In my opinion" or similar. This prevents what you say as being deemed slander or basis for a "defamation of character" suit.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
In my opinion we shouldn't stoop to his level and go flooding other boards. I think we also need new vendor rules that include something to the following...

"By agreeing to be a prefered vendor/advertiser for TCCoA.com you agree that the members of TCCoA.com will be allowed to share their experiences, good and bad, with the other members on the forums of TCCoA.com. These experiences are valuable knowledge to the other members of TCCoA.com and posts will not be deleted just because they are a bad review. Furthermore, TCCoA.com is not liable for the views of it's members."

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
He should be able to post like anyone else as long as he abides by the rules. I would however issue a post on EXACTLY what he has been doing to the club, and post contact info for the products that he resells, that everyone seems to think are his exclusives, like the metal matrix driveshafts, Art Carr tranny pans, and F350 tranny coolers with braided lines.

On that note though, I don't feel like TCCoA would be effected by the loss of Dennis. He was one of the only alternatives for a while, but with the knowledge base that this club has now, people like Lonnie, with his EEC knowledge, Kris Danner with his tranny knowledge, there would be no loss to us by the loss of Dennis, since his 2 main features to us were chips and trannys.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
He should be able to post like anyone else as long as he abides by the rules.
In my opinion, threatening legal action against members, telling them they cannot post or you will sue them, is not abiding by the rules.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You've got a good point there, but if you take away his ability to post items for sale, what else would he come here for???? Hint, Hint.

He needs to realize this is a collection of independant thinkers, and the club should not be held responsible for people who disagree with him.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have never done business with Dennis, mainly because people who I trust have suggested that I do not, because of their own opinions or dealings.

However, I have read the many threads about him, how people feel about his practice, and how he is supposedly trying to clean up his act and reorganize his business and make sure that everything is on the up-and-up. In my opinion, any business, especially one that is going through a 'facelift' due to discontent customers, MUST expect some continued backlash and accusatory comments about how the 'facelift' is all a ruse; a hoax to smooth over ruffled feathers or to 'play the victim' to 'slanderous' comments.

So to pull this virtual trump card, attempting to use intimidation through certified letters with the signatures of para-legals and lawyers on them, it is ridiculous. He wants to make himself a better business man, and win back customers, and try to change peoples Opinions of him... then he must take the highroad. Don't stoop to this kind of high-priced kindergarden BS.

If he is sincered about his intent and goals, this would all go away eventually, over time. A company overhaul is not an overnight process, especially not in the eyes of the end user. Dennis really needs to learn some patience, in my opinion.

Simply because he has decided to take the 'Low Road', it says to me that he is not serious about his reform. And because of that, and this ridiculous threat, that he should be permanently banned, and we warn everyone about him, both as a business man as a person, as it appropriately applies; i.e. "I did business with him and it sucked" or "I read this, this, and this, and talked to these people, and in my opinion, he sucks."

Lastly, for those of us that may not be familiar with legal terms or 'Defamation of Character', 'Slander', and the like, here is the summary definition:

If someone says something that may be construed to lessen your reputation, you may have cause to file a defamation suit. The damaging information must be false, able to be proven to be false, and you must have witnesses. Libel and slander are two types of defamation. When someone says something false about you, that could be considered slander. Libel is generally written or printed defamation.

From everything that I have read and can recall, those who had not had direct dealings with Dennis have always used "I think" or "In my opinion". So the lawsuit doesn't have a leg to stand on. And as I understand that if Dennis tries to push it, a court appearance would still be required, even if it's just for 15 minutes while the defending lawyer calls BS and gets it thrown out, but that's still time out of the Defendants day, and some money out of his pocket for the lawyer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
IN MY OPINION, he just wants to control what people say about him. No one wants people to say bad things about them. This is natural, but quite impractical if not downright impossible. Most people learn early on in life that you can barely control what you say much less what anyone else says.

Will I get sued for saying that? :(

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
4point6r0x0rz said:
Will I get sued for saying that? :(
In my opinion it's pretty bad when someone encroaches your rights so far that you have to ask that. :(

·
Registered
671 Posts
IN MY OPINION a person/company whom is allowed by the board to come here and ONLY sell parts (be just a vendor, not a contributing member) is privileged and should have no room for casting threats and so forth. When coming into a community like this, he should expect constant feedback on all of his transactions with board members, both good and bad. the company/person should be aware of this from the moment they sign up and make their first business arrangement.

I believe something like SD's post...
"By agreeing to be a prefered vendor/advertiser for TCCoA.com you agree that the members of TCCoA.com will be allowed to share their experiences, good and bad, with the other members on the forums of TCCoA.com. These experiences are valuable knowledge to the other members of TCCoA.com and posts will not be deleted just because they are a bad review. Furthermore, TCCoA.com is not liable for the views of it's members."
should be added to the marketplace and/or registration form. How can vendors expect us to sweep bad expierence under the rug? Perhaps also a rating system for vendors. (-100 to +100) that can be attached to their usernames.

We let you into our community for the main purpose of letting you make money and in some consumers views they were not treated fairly. They did what anyone else wouldve done and shared their experience with the remainder of the community. Now, because, in your consumers opinions, you failed to satisfy their needs you threaten us with a lawsuit? Remember that privilege? Ya, buh-bye.

In my opinion, anything more than just a ban would be too extreme, and anything less than permanent would just not be enough.

Ban him.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
In my opinion... ban him and recommend to everyone on THIS site not to purchase from him again. That's how alot of people get and lose business.. through word of mouth. If they are sh!tty businessmen, they deserve to lose their business. I do not believe we should spread the word about his bad business practices on any other boards though... only as a reactive measure, not a proactive measure. If you see someone talking about Reinhart and contemplating purchasing something from him, voice your negative opinion.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
in my opinion, yeah, what he said, ban him and recommend nobody deal with him, would work, i haven't bought anything from him and i never will, there are other alternatives now, so losing him as a vendor wouldn't hurt as much, just my OPINION on this matter....:D

My other OPINION on this matter would be to say no to the idea of going to other boards and letting what happened here be known, let other people find out by word of mouth, no need to give him more ammo to be possibly used against us and the admins of this board, let him cater to his Marauder buddies, once he screws them then we will see how well his business survives, just my OPINION. hopefully i don't get banned or sued for these rampant OPINIONS of mine, lol....:D

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
chorizon said:
let him cater to his Marauder buddies
Not all of them are on his bandwagon either. Myself and a few other Tbirders were sitting around the hotel before SSHS3 sharing our OPINIONS with Marauder owners who where sharing their OPINIONS about the crappy service IN THEIR OPINION and the markup of other peoples parts who would sell direct to public for cheaper.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
so in my OPINION he's on the ropes now, so that explains in my OPINION, the lawsuit tactic, poor guy, ............not....:D

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Welcome to the TCCoA polarizing issue of 2004. Ban/ don’t ban, what’s the point.
This type of ostracizing only fosters the development of a clique like subculture here,
those members that deal with ‘that guy’ and those that don’t. People that want
parts from a vendor, regardless of reputation, will buy from if there are no other options
presented.

I believe that the status of a preferred vendor should be earned and be maintained. The
challenge is often attaining an elevated status not its continued upkeep. The job of determining
a vendors status must take on much larger proportions for the administrators of this sight.
Guidelines should be established for vendors making it sufficiently tough to maintain
what should be regarded a lofty position.

I choose to give my hard earned money to establishments that are appreciative of my
business even if the cost to me is a more money. You get what you pay for and that is not
limited to just the parts you receive.

I won’t address the legal aspect of this debacle much, sufficient to say that often times if as much
energy were applied to solving the problems as getting the lawyers whooped into a lather
a solution could be found.

These are my opinions,
You may borrow them if you like.
And even if you don’t like them, I will still respect you in the morning!

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
:uppoint: :uppoint: in my OPINION that's funny.....:rofl:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think I was insulted, treated in a cavalier fashion, and gypped with the crappy chip, service, and dynotune he gave me...I further think, you all need to look up the definition of a megalomaniac, cause this guy actually believes he's right.In my OPINION! I think I have never seen anyone with as wierd, convoluted and superior an attitude as DR.. I also think...
Sir W. how many members have given you as much grief, and contention on this site, & been the focus of so much animosity as DR? There is your answer! we all disagree.... a lot at times , but the animosity doesnt go verry deep and we end up agreeing on the next item down the road.. Not so, I THINK with DR . I know for a fact I will never stop taking exception to his presence on these boards, and will express myself as such , after all burned more than once makes for an indelable memory... maybe we are the problem, and should all be banned ? I THINK NOT>>>

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.