TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would not fit easily under a stock height MN12, and SURELY not under a lowered one.

But.

For the other vehicles, this may be of interest.

RwP

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to build a better mousetrap. It doesn’t really seem to save much time and I can’t think of a place on our chassis I’d place those where a jack would fit with it (I NEVER use the rocker seams)
True on the "no place on our chassis"; but they'd be nice when working on my Dakota! Instead of "If I jack here, can I put the stand there? No? How about there? No? " :unsure:

I just found them interesting.

RwP

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
424 Posts
Very interesting. I run in the same issue with my Explorer, lower it move the jack slightly, does it fit now....

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Huh. Thanks for the lead. I'm not above some retail therapy right now but I'm not sure I need this just yet (my rocker panels are kind of beat to crap on the tbird after so many years of rushed jacking.

FWIW, I don't think these are a bad idea if you trust the welds holding the socket for the legs in place. Those two spots seem to be the weak points (not including the pins). I guess in your traditional jackstands the weak spot is the pin and the locking mechanism that holds the (on my cheapy jacks at least) metal tab to the teeth on the cast iron arm.

Welp, they just lost me.
$125 EACH for a German Race (Renn) stands? Pfft. Not a big enough issue for me to throw that kind of money at what is an annoyance at best.

Considering your average person can use a $20-30/pair of stands effectively (3T for $20 @ Harbor Freight, $32 for the cheapie stands @ Autozone), I could see justifying maybe $50/pair at a max personally and I might see a market for them up to $75/pair.

They aren't particularly light, strong, or low profile. These things are like 3-5x too expensive.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I jack my cars with a standard floor jack at the transmission mount attachment point, where the bolt is.

There's at least 4 layers of metal there; it holds all the transmission torque.

Then I put the jackstands under the front of the rockers, in the large flat area.

The rears go up from the differential, with the stands on the front IRS mounts.

I use a set of 3T stands in the front, and 2T in the rear.

That's the way I do most of my transmissions or whatever.

The only time they've been jacked from the rockers is a flat tire once, and when my buddy crushed the fuel line.
:)

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,501 Posts
I place the jack on the middle of the K member in the front or the rear diff mount in the back. Jackstands go under the strut rod mounts or frame rails depending on the task and the the front IRS mounts.

It could be my own rationalization but I feel like traditional cheap jackstands are inherently more stable even if the pin or locking mechanism failed. A lot of the time I use them I don’t even use the pins and have them on their lowest position

1 - 8 of 8 Posts