TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yep, it's about 1200 square feet of finished space, plus utility closets; the theater is about 25% of that. I went through 39 sheets for the ceilings and I'm estimating about 100 for all the walls. Theater took 17 by itself, but it's also the largest and simplest room dimensionally.

On the bright side, I'm done with the 5/8" stuff! Amazing how much lighter and easier the 1/2" is to work with. The electrical utility closet and the north end of the foyer (where the kitchenette will go) is next.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Another couple weeks, and I finally have finished with load #1 of drywall, meaning I'm about halfway done with hanging everything. Plan to pick up another bunk of 34 tomorrow afternoon so I can continue the dirge...

This is the electrical utility closet and to the right is where I'll ultimately end up putting a few cabinets, a mini-fridge and counter/microwave for snacks. I'm thinking I'll also put shelves in, in this area in general to supplement the movie storage I'll have in the theater itself.

Yeah, there's about 35 or so low voltage (cat6/RG58/HDMI) cables in there which I'll need a patch panel and rack for. :)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
"Patch panel and rack"

For some reason, this is one of my favorite phrases, lol.

Work looks awesome.

Makes me wish I would have done my own thread for my bathroom project, LMAO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
If you put in light dimming capability, you need to make sure is doesn't generate noise; way back in the 80's I helped build a studio, and found out that Triac based dimmers are the devil to high fidelity, lol.

It's a detail, but you don't want to hear 120Hz and 180Hz harmonics on everything, believe me.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah - I did do my best to make sure the low voltage stuff was plenty far away from the 120v. We'll see how that goes in a few months...

So after a nearly 1-month hiatus I finally found the impetus to start on the next bunk of greenboard, which my brother and I procured in the middle of November. Looks like one more full bunk and I'll be able to finish - then the guy I found who will tape and sand for me can do his thing. My goal is to start paint at the end of January or beginning of February... :)

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, it's a basement, so all the walls are getting it. Despite having good air circulation, no moisture problems, and plenty of preventive measures to prevent flooding - I don't want any mold growing on the drywall. :)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Guess I wouldn't know. Houses here in SoCal don't have basements so this type of work is not normal.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I haven't been back to TCCOA in a while since I've been doing remodel work. I find it hillarious that your basement is as big as the living space in my entire house (1200 sq ft). Also knowing what i know now about sound deadening, the whole suspended ceiling stuff is a giant PITA and significant increase in price because of the added labor in suspending the hat channels.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah, and I can say one of the worst parts of this (aside from hanging all the drywall) was hanging the vinyl overhead - it's hard enough to hang vertically but on the ceiling??? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
I haven't been back to TCCOA in a while since I've been doing remodel work. I find it hillarious that your basement is as big as the living space in my entire house (1200 sq ft). Also knowing what i know now about sound deadening, the whole suspended ceiling stuff is a giant PITA and significant increase in price because of the added labor in suspending the hat channels.
I can only imagine what the mortgage is on 1200sqft of house in SF costs, but I bet it's close to my yearly cost.
My house is about that size, but TN is Cheap!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
SF ain't cheap, I know that! I'm glad my part of California is more in line with the rest of the country!

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah, so I understand. My wife's best friend from vet school moved back to the Boston area about a year ago. She's looking at a 2 bedroom now that's only about 1500 sq. ft, but it's about 25% more costly than what we paid for our house (3000 sq. ft, not inc. the basement). Not to mention our house was problem-free, and she's looking at new gutters, new roof on the shed, and who-knows-what-else...

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well, finally finished hanging the drywall tonight. I have enough scraps and leftovers to put some up in areas I hadn't counted on it (inside the mechanical utility room) for more sound isolation, so I'm pleased. This weekend and the coming week will be putting up the cornerbead and then cleaning up the scraps I can't use, then hopefully the guy I'm having come in to tape and sand can start the week after that. If he can finish in 2 weeks like he initially estimated, that means I can start painting at the end of the month, right on target with my earlier goal.

I want to have this done by the 1-year mark on the building permit (April 11)... the way things are shaping up, that should be doable. Assuming I can have all the painting and floors in by early/mid-March, I will have enough time for the final light/plumbing fixtures, doors and baseboard mouldings ahead of the deadline.

·
Super Moderator
12,254 Posts
Awesome! Post more pictures as you get closer to finishing. Not to hijack your thread but I thought you might like to see some pictures of how my home theater looks. Here are some pictures of my theater room from 2005 when I last worked on it. This is the riser platform that I built for stadium seating It's a 2x6 on top of a 2x4 for 10" of lift. I filled it with unbacked insulation for sound damping and then had it carpeted to match the room. The room never became a home theater as I put the money into the car instead of finishing the room. I've also held off on the electronics because they change so rapidly. State of the art in 2005 is ancient by today's standards. It's basically done, all I need to do is add the electronics and chairs. For sound I have many, many Infinity speakers that I bought when I was in the Army. I just need to buy a modern receiver to drive them all.

For now my wife has filled the room with EVERYTHING and is using it for overflow storage in the house.

24.JPG 17.JPG P2210001.JPG P2210005.JPG P2210009.JPG

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Oh I certainly will! I'll take a bunch of pics of all the rooms after I finish the cornerbead and clear everything out, then more as he tapes and sands. I've got a bunch of pics of various odds-and-ends as I was working too so I'll assemble some kind of album for posterity.

Is yours a finshed attic? A friend of mine from the early/mid 2000s did a theater in their home build at the time as well and had built-in risers. I was going to do that but because of my restricted ceiling height on half the room, I opted for seats that had a platform built in to them for the 2nd row. We'll see how well that works out later this year!

·
Super Moderator
12,254 Posts
It's the bonus room over the garage. Which is nice. I have pretty good access to all sides of the room from the exterior of the room via the ceiling of the garage, the attic and a good size crawl space across the back of the house to run wires or recess speakers into the walls and ceiling later when I'm ready to upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Time for an update.

As the drywall guy was doing his thing I took the time to punch down all the data lines in the electrical closet and throughout the basement. I'll label everything up nicely tomorrow after I get my labeler from work...

This morning he did the ceiling texture, and this evening I put up the light fixtures. Tomorrow he'll be back to finish by sanding the walls.... after which I'll start taping along the ceiling so I can start painting. Just managed to make my goal to begin by the end of the month. :)

Den (vintage computer game room/spare bedroom if needed - storage at back, workshop on right, bathroom behind)

Snack bar (left) leading to theater and foyer (right) leading to den

Storage area (den on right)

Workshop (den behind)

And the theater. I am painting the ceiling dark blue - hence the recessed lights are out still.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
This looks great!

Curious, what did you use for keystone Jack's on your patch panel? I like how that came out.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The jacks are just F-connector couplers and black cat5e keystone jacks in a keystone patch panel:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts