TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I have a 110 block punchdown tool from the 60's, that still works great. :)

It may be older than me, lol.

Fun Fact: The idiot proof nature of the RJ45 and RJ11 connectors (6P6C and 8P8C) are NOT idiot proof; I implemented these connectors in a Medical Detector in 2007 as a cheap connector, and the idiots that serviced the machines were able to stuff them in backwards, stuff the connectors into the wrong holes, and generally **** up something the average AT&T tech was rarely able to do in new and creative ways.
They even sprayed contact cleaner into the detectors, killing them completely, as cheap contact cleaner is conductive at high voltages.
Totally fucked a 2 million dollar installation in Paris, with a single can, lol.

People, lol.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yeah I've seen weird things... stuff "teachers" have done. Some of my favorites are USB plugs stuffed into Ethernet jacks. :)
In any case, progress has really picked up. I'll be done painting probably Tuesday night, and will be able to schedule the final electrical inspection for Wednesday.

Got all the electrical done in the theater except the speaker plates for the speakers which are still enroute. The sconces kick up the "theater" feeling quite a bit. Last bits include the shelves and screen up front, carpet then some acoustical panels to kill the reverb.

This one the wife snapped as I was tinning the speaker wires for the 7.1 connections up front...

Up front in total there's two cat6 Ethernet, one HDMI 2.0 to the projector and one HDMI 2.0 to the home office upstairs. Then there's the 7.1 connections and the 4 overhead speaker wires for Atmos if ever I upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Nice!!

I've stopped tinning wires in the last few years; the crimp ferrules are strain relieved, and fast and easy to do, so I use those.

Remember to crimp the plastic part too; that's the strain relief. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Kicking it into high gear these last couple weeks! Got everything painted in roughly a week (including having to repaint the bathroom due to the color not working out as we had anticipated) and the final electrical went smoothly, as planned/on schedule last Wednesday. After that I quickly moved to getting the bathroom finished up which as of tonight is all but done, aside from doors and trim. The theater is also ready for me to build the shelves and I've been thinking harder about the execution and design as I've been laying the floors. Seems like motivation is easier to find now that I'm finally in the finishing stages!

The panoramics look goofy sometimes, but I think it's the easiest way to get the whole room into one image. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
So cool Brandon. Thanks for the updates. Makes me want to dig into my own home theater again. I'm currently putting down framing and plywood to make more storage room in the attic so that we can clear out the bonus room which had became our overflow storage room. So, once it's cleared out I may look at doing a few things in there.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
New milestone achieved - I finished the floors a short while ago. I am going to head out and get the bits to lay the bases of the built-in storage for the front of the theater this evening and get that out of the way next, then next week will be building the shelves/bookcases themselves.

I spent a couple hours putting together the frame for the screen and triple-checking my measurements and designs; I am having to make a minor alteration to my original plan by not having the entire lower section be "deep" shelving. I will have just the center sections under the screen be deep, and the two outermost sections will all be the shallower depth. This was necessitated merely by the fact that I can't find long enough pieces of the wood I intend to use at the top of the lower section.

I have no idea how long it will take to build the shelves, but if I can have that done in the next 2 weeks, I will be happy. I will also be sanding down and finishing the stairs to match. Once that's out of the way, all that will remain is the carpet in the theater, then finally doors and trim. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Almost done with getting the plywood ready. Since it's going to be a few days of waiting for the polyurethane to cure before I can start cutting and assembling, I re-did my rendering in AutoCAD so I could more easily reference measurements, showing the design changes since initial concept...

20 degrees with 40 MPH wind gusts outside, and 68 degrees in the garage. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Two-week progress update. Short version - I should have the theater ready for a test-run this weekend - despite there being a few things left to do before being completely finished overall. ?

Long(er) version - I have the shelves assembled and in place, and tonight finished the polyurethane application on the stiles/aprons/valances. I also stripped, stained, and urethaned the stairs as well.

Here is where I left off in the theater last week, before I started on the stairs. Not shown is the top of the bottom shelves which is currently sitting atop but not fixed in place. I am pretty sure I measured right to have enough clearance for the subwoofer after the carpet goes in - but given the ease of the installation I'm waiting until then verify it fits before I glue it down.

In rough order of next steps - paint the stairwell trim, cut/install the finish woodwork for the shelves, hang the center speaker support shelf, then finish assembling and hang the screen. At that point the theater will be ready, aside from the carpet and baseboard trim, which is scheduled for next Friday.

Once the theater is done, the last steps are hanging doors and baseboard trim all around. I should be finished before Easter. :)

Reactions: Rodeo Joe

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Nice! You're so inspiring me to finish my own home theater.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well, basically finished this thing last night!

I finished assembling the screen, installed the rest of the speakers and did all the intermediate wiring, then installed the AV receiver and BD player. I tested 4K signal as well as a couple 3D titles I had, and was ... well, pretty much blown away by the experience even with the room basically being an echo chamber with a concrete slab floor (no carpet yet) and no furniture.

I ended up being delayed to "completion" since I was short one length of 1x2, so I had to acquire another then stain and poly it over the last couple days. Tonight it was dry/cured just enough for me to cut and install it - so I am done with the front of the theater now. I also picked up the majority of the doors for down there and installed a few of them, though the theater door I need to cut about 2" off so it fits under the soffit. I'll probably move our spare sofa down there tomorrow so we can give it an "unofficial" launch, before next weekend. By then I'll have the other doors installed too.

As planned, the center channel fits perfectly behind the screen. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Agreed, a stadium seating riser platform is a must in any home theater. Use 2x6's on top of 2x4's for a 10" riser or 2x6's on top of 2'x6's for a 12" riser. Stagger them to create a step something like what I did in post #35. Fill it with unfaced insulation for sound damping.

So where are you at with this project? It's been a while since you updated this thread. No better time than the current stay-at-home lock down to work on this project!

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
We've been using the theater most nights now that the carpet is in and I've moved our library down there. We watched a couple films we'd seen many times (e.g. Back to the Future) and we both noticed lines of dialogue or SFX we'd never heard before. 7.1 is great. :)

I put the door casings in and plan to start painting the baseboards tonight to get them mostly installed this week.

I'm still waiting on the 3 special-order, 14" doors for the closets in other areas of the basement. Once those come in, I can put the rest of the door casings on and finish the baseboards. Once that's done... I'm ready for the final inspection!

The plan for seating is a row of 4 at the front, and then a row of 5 for the back. The front seats will be curved, and the back will be straight. The back will be sitting on an 8" platform. Here are the seats I will be getting. And at that price, you can see why it hasn't happened yet!

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Love those seats! Seats are next on my home theater list as well. May be next year. I've got flooring to pay for this year.

In my home theater I painted the side of the entry door that faces into the room the same color as the walls (color matched).

May I suggest switching out the light switch for black switches and face plate as well. It looks like you've already done the outlets in black.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hah, I got the same question from my wife about the switches too!

I did do them the lighter color with a purpose though. I figured I'd need to be able to find the switches easily in the dark, so that's why they're light almond unlike the outlets. Interesting about the door though, I'll have to give that some thought.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
To be specific, I color matched the door and door frame to the walls.

What color are you painting the base boards? Same as the walls, white or black? I'd recommend black. That's on the to-do list for my own home theater.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Hah, I got the same question from my wife about the switches too!

I did do them the lighter color with a purpose though. I figured I'd need to be able to find the switches easily in the dark, so that's why they're light almond unlike the outlets. Interesting about the door though, I'll have to give that some thought.
You used to be able to buy switches with neon lamps in the handles; maybe a small low level LED right under the switch?

Or this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000I3WA5C/

Black faceplates, but white/lit switch handles.

May be too late to run the neutral to the switch for the light, though.

But maybe just replace the faceplates so all that shows up is the handle?

RwP

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
I have a Black Lutron Maestro in my home theater. It's a variable dimmer switch with small leds on it. You can get them at Home Depot. It's perfect if you want just a bit of background light. Get a set of these. You can thank me later. :LOL:

Other versions are available.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Dimmer switches are known to inject noise into audio, so crank them to half setting, crank up the audio with no input, and see if you can hear the buzz thru the speakers.

Reactions: RalphP
41 - 60 of 78 Posts