TCCoA Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
So add a power filter/conditioner?? Are those things ever worth a crap? I always wondered if they were snake oil.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hahaha guys, thanks for all the tips.

The switches are already dimmers - Lutron Toggler C.L Dimmer Switch for Dimmable LED, Halogen and Incandescent Bulbs, Single-Pole or 3-Way, Light Almond-TGCL-153PH-LA - The Home Depot are what I used. The wall sconces don't make any noise when dimmed, but the recessed lights do (the lights themselves buzz and get louder when dimmed - not the speakers). Those don't get used if we're watching anything. I went a little out of my way to make sure the 120V feeds for the lights were nowhere near the speaker wire. The RS and RSR speakers do cross by where the high voltage lines run where they go up into the ceiling but they don't run parallel and they are several inches from physical contact - I have never noticed any noise from the speakers with any of the lights on or off.

I will speak with the wife about painting the baseboards the same color as the ceiling. I don't have enough of that paint left however to do much of anything aside from touch ups (it was a VERY close 1 gallon to put 2 coats on the ceiling) so I wouldn't be able to get more paint until the state lifts the stay-at-home lockdown for non-essential travel. Plus I kind of like the way it looks in white with the contrast, but I do admit I need to consider the application of the room into account a little more with the colors! I'm still not sure if I'll change how I have the door, but I'll see what she says on that as well. In the end I would be happy with it either way I think.

I got 30/40 of the remaining trimpieces I have here painted last night. I'm waiting another day for them to cure before I cut and install them. I was going to start by putting the baseboards in the theater but I guess with this question of color, it makes sense to start in another room until that's decided.

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
So add a power filter/conditioner?? Are those things ever worth a crap? I always wondered if they were snake oil.
A good one is wonderful. The cheap crap is cheap crap.

Source: Electronics technician who's seen the waveforms in and out.

Also, note: The best ones I've seen ... hummed.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
Dimmers are made from a device called a Triac.

They work by turning on the ac waveform for part of a cycle; 50% on makes a nice 180Hz noise on all the ac lines.

Audio lines ran nearby can pick it up, and amplify it.

If you can't hear it, it's fine.

If you hear a bzzz, hmm, bzz, bzzz working it's way thru your audio, that's the source. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
After an extended period of doing, well, nothing, I finally got some energy to move on towards the finish line the last few days.

I got the last of the trim installed tonight. Baseboards, remaining door casings, the toe kicks under the cabinets/bookshelves... For all intents and purposes the real construction is done. :D

I'll post a few pics or something in a day or two, after I've had a chance to clean up all the remaining trash/tools etc. down there.

My list of what's left to do is pretty short, all things considered.

1) Fill nail holes
2) Touch-up paint
3) Reinforce counter mount
4) Covering for the top of the sump pump box
-- can do after inspection --
5) Install wire shelves in closets:
a) base of stairs
b) bathroom
c) walk-in
6) Opt. solid shelves in foyer:
a) above cold air return near den door
b) on wall against bathroom
7) cabinets and countertop in workshop

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
A good one is wonderful. The cheap crap is cheap crap.

Source: Electronics technician who's seen the waveforms in and out.

Also, note: The best ones I've seen ... hummed.

RwP
So they convert the line noise into real noise? Nice!

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
After an extended period of doing, well, nothing, I finally got some energy to move on towards the finish line the last few days.

I got the last of the trim installed tonight. Baseboards, remaining door casings, the toe kicks under the cabinets/bookshelves... For all intents and purposes the real construction is done. :D

I'll post a few pics or something in a day or two, after I've had a chance to clean up all the remaining trash/tools etc. down there.

My list of what's left to do is pretty short, all things considered.

1) Fill nail holes
2) Touch-up paint
3) Reinforce counter mount
4) Covering for the top of the sump pump box
-- can do after inspection --
5) Install wire shelves in closets:
a) base of stairs
b) bathroom
c) walk-in
6) Opt. solid shelves in foyer:
a) above cold air return near den door
b) on wall against bathroom
7) cabinets and countertop in workshop
What was the verdict on color matching the door to the walls? I think the look is great in my own Home theater.

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
We opted to leave it with the contrasting white. It's not at all distracting while we're watching films (it probably helps because it's completely light controlled) and it helps the room feel a little less like a cave, which we both like. I do definitely understand your point of view though.

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
OK, here are some pics of "done". Still need to set up furniture and stuff, but that comes after the inspection this week - and as finances permit. I also spent 15 minutes walking through, describing things - for those with time/interest to listen to my monologue.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
Great work! And wow! What a lot of work. you did an amazing job.

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Hopefully you can make it up here for the eclipse in a few years (and that it's not cloudy!). You'll have to start a thread for the finishing of your theater next. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
Will do! Right now I'm looking at a car audio build for the Tbird!

61 - 72 of 72 Posts