TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well,it happened , only not they way i thought it would. i had a vobra r hood on my car, the one from mustanghoods. anyway, a couple weeks ago i was drivin on the highway and was doin about 45, cuz it was rainin pretty good and it was night. anywho, my hood was held on by the latch only, and was on there really good mind u., altho i was planni on puttin pins in it. so i was drivin and i his a descent sized puddle, and and as soon as i did, boom, the hood went over the roof. luckily, it didnt smack the glass, it just flew off (the hinges were fine). alstho it hit the back of the rook and put a small dent there. so i slam to a stop, walk back about a 1/4 mile, and cant find it. but i come back to the car and look at the hinge, and the latch area of the hood was still there. the force of the water broke the fober glass around the latch. so needless tosay, i drove home (an hour ride) in the rain with no hood, and luckily it had slowed to a light drizzle. but i'm just a little pissed about it and was wonderin if neone has ever had their hood break like that?

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Your not the only one its happened to, a while ago it happened and somebody posted pics...it smashed the windshield and i think bent the roof in a bit. You got lucky it just flew right off.

that person was THNDRN1 i think.

·
Registered
157 Posts
happened to my 90 sc i was doing like 30 had hood pins:zdunno: but forgot to latch them :zwall: so it flys off crackin the windshiled all the plastic around the wipers and the hood itself is fine exept where the hinges are and it just ripped the metal out of the hood.. went up ov er the car dented the roof and the trunk

needless to say it was a legendary hood so quality was poor there

hahah not the only one man it happens to the best of us

Boooosh :headbang:

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
1WLD BRD,

You got any more pics of the hood before it was thrashed? I like that stang scoop on there, thinkin about doing it myself.

-Joel

·
Registered
811 Posts
That really sucks! And another reason why I will just create my own with some fancy sheet metal work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep it Happened to me...The latch gave out at 80mph in heavy traffic on the interstate. What a ride! Pulled ino the median and amazingly was able to shut the hood and it latched like notin ever happened and then I drove home! Couldnt really see but it saved me 60 bucks for a tow. It busted my dash, winshield, roof, hood, and hood shocks!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
OUCH :beek:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If you install a hood of any type, make sure that both the main, and the saftey latchs work properly. If you install a fiberglass hood, also make sure you use either regular hood pins, or the lock type. Too much work and money doing a hood to not do it all the way. If you do not want the hood locks/pins, it is best to not put a fiberglass hood on it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
:zwthstpd: (there really needs to be another one of these that says something else)

That must have been a hell of a ride! Luck mother. . . .I might have to take you to Vegas. :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
problem w mine was that the hood itself broke, i was plannin on puttin the pins in (already bought them). the hood was secured tight by the latch, but i was still uneasy about it. and yes, i was damn lucky that the hood just flew off instead of hitin the winshield, even the hinges were fine.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I'd put on the keyed pins, since you won't loose the pins (might loose the keys) and they're smaller and cleaner than the pin ones, and it'll help prevent your hood from getting stolen. I know someone who stole a hood off of a Mustang. He sold the car, though, so it's sitting at a used car lot with the hood still on it. At least it finally got painted, but he said he liked the white because it matched his convertible top.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
SCsmo said:
problem w mine was that the hood itself broke, i was plannin on puttin the pins in (already bought them). the hood was secured tight by the latch, but i was still uneasy about it. and yes, i was damn lucky that the hood just flew off instead of hitin the winshield, even the hinges were fine.
well yeah, thats what fiberglass does. Its not a very strong material you know, thats why you should ALWAYS use hood pins with a fiberglass hood.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
wow i wanted to get a hood. kind having second thoughts now. is there a way its 100% not going to fly off? or is it just always a possability?

·
8,978 Posts
get quality hood pins, install them correctly, make sure they're on securely, and you wont have any problems.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
BaggeD BoooosH said:
happened to my 90 sc i was doing like 30 had hood pins:zdunno: but forgot to latch them :zwall: so it flys off crackin the windshiled all the plastic around the wipers and the hood itself is fine exept where the hinges are and it just ripped the metal out of the hood.. went up ov er the car dented the roof and the trunk
Is that what happened to the SC and why it's gone?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thomas said:
well yeah, thats what fiberglass does. Its not a very strong material you know, thats why you should ALWAYS use hood pins with a fiberglass hood.
wat sux is i had already bought them, but was gonna have a body shop install them cuz the hood still needed to be painted. it was suppose to go to the shop a week after that happened

·
8,978 Posts
well then for future reference. When installing a fiberglass hood, buy the hood pins before you install the hood, and put them on with the hood. No delays, thats what leads to tragic accidents like this one :(
-Thomas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts