TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be something interesting. We all love our cars and know a lot about them, but there is always those little things that many of us don't know, like Ford spent 700 hours in the wind tunnel for the MN-12. So if you know any others list them.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
There's a lot of stuff that I now take as common knowledge that I'm sure most people would consider to be a "little-known" fact, like the ill-fated SVT Thunderbird (And the one that still exists!).

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I know there is at least one left, I think perhaps two. I know where one of them is. :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
Didn't Ford "copy" a BMW for the MN12 chassis?

·
Registered
197 Posts
No, didn't think they copied it but they did get a lot of inspiration out of the 6 series. There's a few around here and if you look at em right it almost looks like a t'bird :D

Little-known fact; the results of the 700 hours in the windtunnel means that our cars have a real low drag coefficient, meaning you can drive fast with good MPG because of it :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is a AWD mn12 concept car , and the sccoa owns it

The team that worked on the Sc specifically in the SC , got a severe reprimend for winiing the car of the year award.

the SC was severely detuned using the resonator so it would lose 15-20hp so it woundt be faster than the mustang GT.

the cougar got a SC engine in mexico up to 93

there are some unconfirmed rumors of some 1996 SC's in mexico.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Black_97_LX said:
Didn't Ford "copy" a BMW for the MN12 chassis?
actually no , the mn12 suspension in 1989 was more advance that any of bmw at the time

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
ghostfield said:
No, didn't think they copied it but they did get a lot of inspiration out of the 6 series. There's a few around here and if you look at em right it almost looks like a t'bird :D

Little-known fact; the results of the 700 hours in the windtunnel means that our cars have a real low drag coefficient, meaning you can drive fast with good MPG because of it :D

I think the Mn12 has more in common with the 8 Series than the 6. *shrug*

Interesting though that the SC design team got in troube for winning car of the year. lol.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
I have a prototype EEC here, it's marked 1998 MN-12 4.2L. :cool:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
turbospeed said:
There is a AWD mn12 concept car , and the sccoa owns it
The team that worked on the Sc specifically in the SC , got a severe reprimend for winiing the car of the year award.

the SC was severely detuned using the resonator so it would lose 15-20hp so it woundt be faster than the mustang GT.

the cougar got a SC engine in mexico up to 93

there are some unconfirmed rumors of some 1996 SC's in mexico.
Any pics?

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Litning said:
really? i'd like to hear some details about it please
:zwthstpd: me too.....:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I guess it's a little known fact that for a car to be considered an "SVT" car, that means it was put in to production. ;)

Now, I'm betting some SVE T-Birds still exist.

SloMo228 said:
There's a lot of stuff that I now take as common knowledge that I'm sure most people would consider to be a "little-known" fact, like the ill-fated SVT Thunderbird (And the one that still exists!).

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
My membership expired on SCCoA, but I did get to see the AWD pics. It's definitely not a prestine vehicle. Has about 70K miles iirc, and it looks like it. There were 3 prototypes made with the help of Porsche, but Ford decided their method was too expensive, so they went with another company, of whos name slips my mind right now. There really weren't any exterior photos. Practically all of them were of the custom parts that were made for the awd system. The custom transfer case, the mods to the transmission, etc.

·
8,239 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
SCCoA is really stingie about information on the AWD SC. There isn't any information on it, that I've found, outside of their member's only section.
I was at the sccoa dinner at carlisle when duffy talked about the awd thunderbird sc that the club purchased.

It was a pretty neat presentation, the car is a blue 89, it has a way early build date on it, it could have been one of the first mn12 chassis cars produced period.

The car has super low miles on it, but its hammered to death, the engineers beat the hell out of it. It was ran on the salt and winter, so its rusty in all kinds of places.

It has alot of bmw parts on it, and alot of custom parts, also i think the awd stuff was from porsche. It has bmw brake calipers on it, and i think it had like porshe or bmw wheels on it, i forget. The company DANA was also involved in doing the front driveshafts, and other stuff like that.

George showed a bunch of pictures of the vehicle, and i suppose they plan on restoring the car.

The car is really really hammered though, i forget what was wrong with it, but the car needs a ton of work and money to make it right, and it probably needs custom one off parts to make it right again.

Also he signed a contract when he bought the car, that the car can never be driven on public roads for any reason.

8ate8 said:
My membership expired on SCCoA, but I did get to see the AWD pics. It's definitely not a prestine vehicle. Has about 70K miles iirc, and it looks like it. There were 3 prototypes made with the help of Porsche, but Ford decided their method was too expensive, so they went with another company, of whos name slips my mind right now. There really weren't any exterior photos. Practically all of them were of the custom parts that were made for the awd system. The custom transfer case, the mods to the transmission, etc.
The company is DANA, the same company that makes drivetrain parts for lots of oems.

The car looks stock from the outside, it looks like it sat for ten years, its dark blue and beat to hell.

1 - 20 of 479 Posts