TCCoA Forums banner

181 - 200 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Well, I'd still like to know for sure if the last day MN12's were built was 09/04/97. I just checked and my car was built on 09/03/97. It would be kinda cool (a little bit, anyway) to be able to say that my car was built on the second to last day.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
KewlBird said:
That was actually from OASIS, which shows a lot of things including build date and in-service date.
I suspected that is what you used. That's how I verified the 4 digit number on my "core support tag" was in fact the build date of the car.

Unfortunately the guy at the local dealer service counter wouldn't give me anything but the first page of the OASIS report due to "privacy laws" and I had to play 20 questions with him just to find out that my intake was replaced by a ford service center under a previous owner. I already knew it was replaced and was just curious if Ford did they work and they did, it was as a AWA "After Warranty Adjustment" repair.

He claimed there wasn't much else in the report but who knows... :rolleyes:

btw the time between my car being assembled and the warranty start date was all of 9 days. I assume the warranty start date is the date the car was actually sold???

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
All of this has me curious if my old Capri was one of the last off the line. Wonder if I still have the VIN laying around somewhere.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Southpaw said:
btw the time between my car being assembled and the warranty start date was all of 9 days. I assume the warranty start date is the date the car was actually sold???
I believe that is correct.

·
Registered
288 Posts
AlpineBird said:
I just dont understand, im sure that bringing back a two door rwd chassis car would be alot of unwanted work for Ford, but have they not been paying attention to Chevy's success with the monte carlo? I see tons of them out on the street with no signs of slowing down.
Monte Carlos are FWD.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Only the GTO was RWD.

Under Nassar Ford really screwed themselves big. They seemed to be telling people what they wanted instead of giving them what they wanted. The Mustang is a famous name and that, but very few people want a smaller 2 door with almost no room in the back and very limited cargo room. Even in my first 3 weeks of my economics course it teaches business must react to peoples wants, not tell them what they want. Look at the F series that has been Ford for decades now. Why? Cause they build them to be what the consumer wants, the Mustang just isnt what people want. Thats why Chevy is having so much success with the Monte Carlo/Grand Prix, its a family car with balls. The T-Bird Couger could have slaughtered them in sales if Ford hadnt been so blind. The Vette and Camaro are always what people first think of with Chevy, but they dont all want to own one. Ive always liked Ford, but other than the Ranger and F-series nothing new from them appeals to me at all.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i agree , ford should of built a hot rod mn12 besides the s/c . its such a good chassis for a hot rod

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Not just a hot rod. But one you can take anywhere, that is why the MN12 would have been a huge success if they didnt drop it. You take the space and comfort inside, the cargo room, and a modded 4.6 or even a non-detuned SC and you have the perfect car for anyone. Fun to drive, handles great and lots of power, and if ya have a family they can fit inside in comfort. Unlike a Mustang.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
FastBird232 said:
Woulda made a good wagon. You think?
Noooooooooooo! (Flashbacks of the Mercury Cougar Villager) :D

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Blue LS said:
Not just a hot rod. But one you can take anywhere, that is why the MN12 would have been a huge success if they didnt drop it. You take the space and comfort inside, the cargo room, and a modded 4.6 or even a non-detuned SC and you have the perfect car for anyone. Fun to drive, handles great and lots of power, and if ya have a family they can fit inside in comfort. Unlike a Mustang.
Well i can agree with you everywhere except for when you say that you could fit a family in there comfortably. Face it, the thunderbird was made for the driver and kinda for a front seat passenger. The backseat is pretty much useless. When i owned my car i couldnt stand riding shot gun in it and i dreaded riding in the backseat. And i only did that once or twice when i let my dad drive it. But i would put a bullet in my head if i had to be a passenger in that car everyday. It was horrible. Especially when riding shotgun, since everything faces the driver it almost felt like i was being left out lol. Not that it matters though, i always drove it and i always loved it. Boy i miss that car. I wish the damn owner would register i only gave him tons of Tccoa papers.

But anyway....like i said before, bring back the mn12 style t-bird on the LS platform becuase thats the only thing already in production that i could see ford using.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
um the back seats are good for something , tested myself ! :D ;)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
jk89cat said:
um the back seats are good for something , tested myself ! :D ;)
I've found that whenever this occurs, the car gets jealous and starts to break.

It's been proven numerous times by me and my friends in their vehicles. Last time it was the waterpump... and believe me there won't be a next!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Hey, the back seat on the T-bird/cougar/Mark might be a little cramped...but it's just that....a little. I have ridden in the back seat of my Mustang and it SUCKS (but I can hear my duals really well back there, so that's sweet :D) And as far as that "other" use goes....well....I have tried that, and it just will not work in a stang....we even tried to fold the seat down & get halfway in the trunk.....just does NOT work :( Now the focus on the other hand........:D

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
earl , me and my ex used to fold the back down in my old saab 900 fastback and have fun, plenty of room and because of the how the hatch is noone knows your there,

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Comfort aside, the back seats in the MN12's are side impact death traps it seems.

They rate 1 star for rear passenger side impact safety. I've seen some mangled MN12's that I hope no one was in the back seat of when it got slammed!

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/141.html

1 star side impact rating = 26% or greater chance of serious injury.

"For side crash tests, crash-test dummies representing an average-sized adult are placed in the driver and rear passenger seats (driver’s side) and secured with the vehicle's seat belts. The side crash test represents an intersection-type collision with a 3,015 pound barrier moving at 38.5 mph into a standing vehicle. The moving barrier is covered with material that has "give" to replicate the front of a vehicle. Since all tested vehicles are impacted by the same size barrier, it is possible to compare all vehicles with each other when looking at side crash protection ratings."

Same exact specs for the 97 Tbird plus they have a pic of it getting crunched so I guess the Cougar specs I linked to above are really just recycled Tbird crash data, that would explain the lack of a pic of the Cougar getting crunched...

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/101.html

181 - 200 of 479 Posts