TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The original Birds could be ordered with a supercharger on the old Y-blocks.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Earl said:
The 94-95 T-bird has cutouts in the front bumper for cornering lights, so maybe it was gonna be an option :D
I have a 95, been through a couple bumpers, and not once have I ever seen cutouts for cornering lights. Fog/driving lights in the front yes, but the sides are smooth

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
I have a 95, been through a couple bumpers, and not once have I ever seen cutouts for cornering lights. Fog/driving lights in the front yes, but the sides are smooth
on the inside of the bumper are the marks that you can use to cut it out.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
ghostfield said:
No, didn't think they copied it but they did get a lot of inspiration out of the 6 series. There's a few around here and if you look at em right it almost looks like a t'bird :D
BMW 850 (5.6L V-12)

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Yeah, THAT'S it! Thank you! :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
looks likea Sc but with the rigth front end.

i never really liked the front end of the mn12'.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Im not sure of this 100%, but I read somewhere when Iacocca went to Chrysler he took the new "aero" design of the FOX and Taurus/Tempo and the early MN-12 ideas with him, look at the Lebaron body.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Man, that AWD SC would've been nice if they had made it...and those wheels on it look waaaay too much like the ones on a Porsche 928 from that year. I'd also really like to see a pic of an SVT bird
Anyhow here's a little bit I know

I'm sure I'm not the only person with this knowledge but I just thought I'd put it out there...and I really wish I have a picture of this... but in the May 1st 1989 issue of Autoweek there's an article about the 5.0 Thunderbirds. The car in the article had a regular Mustang engine and it had a power dome hood which apparently didn't look too awful bad, but Jack Telnack thought the sloping hood these cars have made the WHOLE car :rofl: So he had engineering redo the engine so that it would fit with the flat hood, hence the two year delay for a V8. I just wonder if anybody has that particular photo.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Ummm the 8 series BMW didn't launch until 1991.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
lightevergreenfrost said:
Wasn't the MN-12 the second RWD domestic to get IRS after the Vette.

have you ever seen "My Cousin Vinnie"? The Tempest had IRS.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
the corvair also had one. which was the first domestic car to have one i believe.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Here's another "little known" I just remembered it....this was written by the "j" and it goes a little something like this...

"For 1998 there would be three models of the Thunderbird, the Base, Sport and the SVT. The V6 would be dropped from the line alltogether, and the base V8 would have been slightly more aniemic than the previous year's model, having a SOHC 4.6, a single exhaust, etc. It would have been comparable to the base model Crown Victoria of that year.

The sport model had a 4.6 SOHC V8, Mustang GT exhaust manifolds, true dual ehxuast, higher-flow mufflers, larger brakes all the way around to solve the warped rotor problem, and a re-worked interior (slightly new cup holders which prooved to be better than any of the previous designs. The rear end of the car was to be designed wtih sequential turn signal tail lights, and the front end was completely re-designed (new headlights, grill, bumper, etc) --That's about all I remember from what I read, I have it on my computer somewhere, I'll try to dig it up & post it....it's good stuff.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
cb400f75 said:
...and those wheels on it look waaaay too much like the ones on a Porsche 928 from that year.
That's because they are :) Porsche started the joint venture with ford to first develop the AWD 'bird, but Ford decided their method was too expensive, so they went with Dana.

41 - 60 of 479 Posts