TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it, that nobody can understand why I love my car so much?

I enlisted in the army yesterday and will be shipping out to basic on February 26, so today my dad tried to tell me I HAVE to sell my car, that its a pile of junk, and I wont want it when I get back from the service anyway....to that I say bulls***.... They dont make em any better than tbirds, and I want mine when I get back...

He tried to tell me I should sell it and take a loss on my loan, I'd rather pay it off and keep it in storage for a while....when I tried to tell him about why I love my car so much...he claimed that was "Immaturity..." I dont really know, I just know I cant stand the thought of selling my car for peanuts and not knowing if she has a good home.... Maybe i am crazy, who knows....but I really want to hold on to it while I'm in Kuwait or wherever I end up going. Anyway rant over. What do you guys think, should I sell her?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For Sale: One overly assertive know it all father, high mileage, $5.00 OBO Call 555-5928 :D

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If your father genuinely had your interests in his heart, he'd
move heaven and earth to help you in any manner that he could.

Real love for a fine lady, or a close friend, or a house bought
or built and made into a home, or for a special car that looms
large in your life does not come often in a lifetime - take great
care of that which means most to you - great loyalty benefits both
you and it's recipient. Hopefully that is a lesson that is never too
late to be learned, your father included.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
DO NOT SELL THE THUNDERBIRD

After all, you need something to mod when you get back with all that hard earned government money!

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
Wow, MagerThom, SPECTACULAR ADVICE, I loved that, where did that come from, was that you, amazing, I am truly inspired, wow, thanks, it is obvious the love for your car, damn man, I wanna be able to say stuff like that.

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
Personally...

Sell the car. Pay off the car. Put the rest of the money in a mutal fund. When you get out of the army, take out that extra money and the money you got from the army and buy a new tbird in cash. That is, if you havn't done anything to your car yet... once you start workin with the car, you get into setimental value lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I havent done much to the car yet, but I've already got the sentimental value...I know it sounds wierd but if feels like I have a certain bond with THIS car...it's different than the other Tbirds I ride in, or see....It's mine....Its been there for me in thick and thin, and in return I've put more love into it than most people do....Hand washed her every day this summer, Change the oil religiously, a new tbird would still be a tbird...but i think it would be...different.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Ya, I know what you mean. Sell my Caravan, sell my Contour, touch my Cougar and I'll kick your @$$! There are so many types, that it's hard to get one just like the one you had before. Although if I could get a 5.0 or 4.6, I might have to say "goodbye", I doubt anyone would want my car with all the interior stuff I've done to it anyway.:D

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I would NOT sell it. I understand where your coming from. I hand washed my bird everyday in the summer too (pretty much), and care way more about my cars than most ppl I know, and they do not understand. Realistically, I should sell my Taurus, but I can't. I wouldn't know who it's going to go to, or how they are gonna take care of it. The way I see it, the only way I will ever get rid of any of my rides, is do to an accident (get's totalled).
I also wouldn't be too hard on your dad, it is just his opinion. Now if he tries and make you sell it, then that would be bs. It is your car to do as you please.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
the only way im selling my cougar, is if the wrecked pieces are torn from my cold dead fingers...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hey, I can understand being sentimentally attached - because I am :).

However, you have to think logically here - you may be gone for MANY years, and the car will only depreciate further while in storage. Not to mention deteriorate???

When you get 'out', you can always pick up another Tbird, and paint it or whatever to get it to like the one you currently have.

Not a decision I'd want to make!

My current predicament is that I also have a car that isn't worth much, and I don't get to drive it much. If I hang onto it, it depreciates and deteriorates. If I sell her, she's gone forever :(. Then again, she's going to be replaced with a nice Mark 8.

Argh - sentiments suck :mad:.

Anyways - good luck with the military,

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I had a dream a couple of months back where I traded my Bird in on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I thought it was all cool and everything and then the next day in my dream I thought to myself, "What have I done?" I don't think I could ever part with my car, I have done very little to it and I still feel more attached to this car than pretty much everyone I know except for my wife. Call me nuts, if you will.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Again, keep it. The mn12 platform will be a hunted classic one day. If you can keep it that long, your own kid will thank you for it one day. They just have that appeal, you know what I mean? I can't tell you how many rides my Dad had owned that we would have loved to buy off of him.

Be sure to check the threads here for storage tips and recommendations to keep it in prime condition. While you're gone you can think about what to do to it when you get back and make some plans for it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
soop said:
Don't sell it, store it, and sell your Dad.
I AM WITH THAT!!!!

And look at my sig about women. I understand being attached to your car totally. If I don't get to drive my car daily or know I am able to drive my car I go bonkers. :zbounce: I would keep and keep making your payments. My car is paid for so the only way I am getting rid of it is when it blows up from a bomb. Then I will take the car somewhere and bury her so no one else can have her. She is mine.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
All is good advice

This is all good advice, but i can count atleast 3 cars my dad had

34 Ford
69 Fury
71 Tbird
"Back when tuning the carb. was all you needed to do to win son"

When ever im trying to get $$$ for parts my dad tells me it isnt worth it.

But when im out in the garage, slaving away under the hood, who is standing right there telling me his street racing stories--------> DAD

And at the end of all stories he says, and i quote " I wish I had never sold THAT car"

And every time my stang buddies tell me how easier it would be to make a stang fast, and how cheap it is, i always hear my dad sayin " I wish I had never sold THAT car"

Do what you wish, and is best for you, but if it has the smallest value you to you, when you get that cash in your hands, and you see it drive off, you will regret it from there on out brother

Good Luck with your decision

P.S. Thanks for protecting the RED, WHITE, and BLUE:usa:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice everyone,

I'm happy to report that the Thunderbird is staying right where she is. One of the reasons I'm joining the army is to protect the freedoms that this nation has, one of those freedoms is the ability to make your own decisions...and not to be told what to do, by authoritive dictators....or anyone else to who wants to deprive you of the right to make your own decisions....I told dad that the car is staying....and furthermore, when I get back in a three years....she'll be running 10s!!! :)

He said he'll respect my decision...no matter how he feels about it....so I'm happy now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts