TCCoA Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
so you couldn't just use a mark 8 bulb in a thunderbird headlight housing?
If you want proper HIDs you can't put any HID bulb into a tbird halogen housing.

·
Registered
917 Posts
then just to clarify, since nobody makes projector housings for the thunderbird, the only way to do it is to either make custom projectors like porkchop did or blind everyone on the road. am i right?

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Or you can do what I did and put projectors into our housings. They fit with 20 seconds worth of modification.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=125199

I also stress the importance of properly ALIGNING these lights after you install them.

·
Registered
604 Posts
then just to clarify, since nobody makes projector housings for the thunderbird, the only way to do it is to either make custom projectors like porkchop did or blind everyone on the road. am i right?
Yup, exactly. I HIGHLY recommend a projector retrofit. Once
you do it you will never go back.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can use normal HID kits in these housings, just try to keep the lights angled a bit low so as not to annoy people.

As for the whole "blinding people" ... to be honest i couldnt care less. I get blinded by people in Escalades all the time with projectors because they sit so high, or any other truck/suv with them. Even my fathers F-150 which does not have projectors or even HID's for that matter, is still a nuisance simply because of the height.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can use normal HID kits in these housings, just try to keep the lights angled a bit low so as not to annoy people.
I would only do this on the 89-95 style fresnelled lens headlights. The 96-97 reflector based housings cause SO much glare it's ridiculous. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
604 Posts
^^ mine are perfectly fine - control the light way better than my old sunfire did which had those "fluted" lenses.

As I said, aiming and control of the light is everything.

·
Registered
604 Posts
^^ mine are perfectly fine - control the light way better than my old sunfire did which had those "fluted" lenses.

As I said, aiming and control of the light is everything.

Yes, aiming and control of the light IS everything, and that's something that can't be done with an arc discharge bulb in a halogen housing. It's just not possible.

But since you don't care that you're blinding the sh¡t out of people, you're good to go. To each their own... ;)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
As for the whole "blinding people" ... to be honest i couldnt care less. I get blinded by people in Escalades all the time with projectors because they sit so high, or any other truck/suv with them. Even my fathers F-150 which does not have projectors or even HID's for that matter, is still a nuisance simply because of the height.
I used to blind people in a 87 jeep wrangler I used to drive simply because it was kinda tall. The HIDs in the tbird dont get me flashed very often though. I dont have projectors.
-Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was just about to buy a HID kit for my '93 LX till I read this thread.
My research continues.....

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Still amazes me after showing reputable tech info including DOT info on the housings and from the LIGHT MANUFACTURERS that people are still trying justify no projectors in our dated housings and saying things like "I couldn't care less" if I blind someone because hey other people do it to me so it makes it ok. :boom: :bs: Same D-bags who turn my auto dimming mirror black at night and that I flip off cause they blind me from oncoming traffic at night. I'm not usually someone to get to worked up over stuff or wish people harm but if your "that guy" who just doesn't give a crap about his fellow drivers or their safety I honestly hope someone blinds you like that, you hit something and total your car. At least that way the rest of us can sit back and enjoy the ride without sweating the idiot drivers out there who are only concerned with themselves and how cool their lights look. :rolleyes:

I said my piece, and I am not going to be checking this post for reply's. So if your the 16yo kid with the $40 ebay kit who doesn't give a **** about the people around him on the road don't bother trying to start a flame war here I won't be watching or responding.

Oh and PS Awesome writeup Falcon it for sure should be added to the Tech sticky section. :idea:
So, is there a question or some tech info in there??? Did you resurrect this thread just to whine to everyone?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nope your right it just annoyed me reading it. Actually I'll just erase it its not very constructive. But I still think it should be sticky and everyone's but the actual info should be removed.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Well, I thought I would update this sticky with some useful info. I bought an HID conversion kit for my Mark VIII on the low beam side. I got a cheap $35 set off eBay and they lasted about 4 months before one of the ballasts burned out.

Something to think about if you're considering an HID conversion kit; my next set will cost me more money, but I'm getting a Lifetime Warranty. I was looking at this site: http://www.hidkitxenonlights.com/

If someone knows a better site that is 'tried and true' with a good warranty and low failure rate, please enlighten me!

·
Registered
65 Posts
the 94-5s have more room than the 96-7s, but you'd have to sand down the lenses of the tbird headlights. I've got a retro in progress, I'm pretty damn near completion given the amount of trial and error I've had to put into it. I'm using E55 bi-xenons and with trimiming I've managed to squeeze em in. S2Ks are the world's greatest, than Valeos (or so the consensus says), then the E46/55. Personally I'm so far satisfied with the E55s I have (pulled from a new 7-series). You can also browse the exterior forum and find a thread "Gauging Interest: HID retrofit" for my progess. I haven't updated it lately but I plan on doing so sometime this weekend
couldn't find that thread , but would be interested in reading this

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
Are these the blue headlights that blind on coming drivers?

If so they should be illegal.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
Are these the blue headlights that blind on coming drivers?

If so they should be illegal.
Depends on the HID bulbs you put in.

Which is why I tend to be rather anal about "Keep it between 4300K and 6000K" on forums :diablo:

RwP

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Depends on the HID bulbs you put in.

Which is why I tend to be rather anal about "Keep it between 4300K and 6000K" on forums :diablo:

RwP
X2

Also depends if the person who installed them realigned them after the installation - AND if they knew what they were doing while doing so.

·
Registered
139 Posts
X2

Also depends if the person who installed them realigned them after the installation - AND if they knew what they were doing while doing so.
X3 and if they have a way to focus it with a cutoff line installed. I've seen some really good installations and some really bad ones... *cough "$40 ebay kit" cough cough*

61 - 80 of 84 Posts