TCCoA Forums banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm going to add here that any form of HID system in a non HID equipped vehicle is actually illegal. Doesn't matter bulb color, PnP vs. proper retrofit, or anything it's all illegal. Now stating that, a proper retrofit will never garner unwanted attention, it'll be safer for other motorists, and you'll see better.

Aiming the lights down after putting a PnP kit in reflectors negates the purpose of HIDs and actually creates an even worse field of light in front of the car. Too much foreground light which kills your distance vision and you will still throw a lot of unwanted light everywhere.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Old news..

I had this done on my 1997 Sable and went past all sorts of cops. They were 7000Ks, I never got pulled over or flashed at. They actually made my Sable stand out a bit.

I don't know about other areas of the country, but these kind of lights are a little out of style. Most people with newer cars get them from the factory. You actually don't see Mark VIII style colors on headlights anymore. They were big 10 years ago.

·
Registered
78 Posts
7000K is a very odd color temperature I've never seen done before. I'm not sure what you mean by Mark VIII style colors? All OEM xenon systems, with the exception of a handful of vehicles produced in the last 2 years, use 4300K bulbs. That includes all reflector based xenon systems as well. The exceptions are a handful of vehicles that use Osram CBI bulbs which are 5000K. As xenon capsules age they will colorshift and get bluer in color until they start the early stages of failure when they start to turn pink.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Great Old Thread~! - I'm leaning toward the Projector Conversion Kits on Ebay where you mod existing Housing to install Projector.... given the poor Reflector Housings on virtually all 90's Fords I concur that's the way to go - Prices on these have plummeted on Ebay.

93-96 MKVIII with the BS twin Hi & Lo Beam 9005 Bulbs are the absolute WORST Reflector Housings ever made by anyone - They actually failed the Fed Test when new & that's when they put 9005's in the Low Beams & added a Reflector to squeek by the Fed Test - I'm having a hard time believing even an el-cheapo HID Bulb Conversion Kit could hurt anyone's eyes on the Highway in a 93-96 Mk Housing - T Bird & Crown Vic Housing almost as bad but 93-96 MKVIII the clear winner of worst Housing EVER... my 61 Falcon had better Headlights.

50 W LED "Driving Light" Kits look interesting too but aint no kinda Bulb gonna fix a poor reflector Housing - A new Projector Housing could though.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts