TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who knew my old 95 cat was totaled several months ago. Since then I have been looking for a new home for the Monster. Well, I found it.

The 5.4L has been swapped over into a 1997 30th Anniversary Cougar. Here is a picture:

Thanks to Jeff T. in CT for helping put her in this time. This time he did most of the job. I am so proud of him, Grasshopper has graduated! :)

My only problem is that the good old boys at FordChip let me down. Several weeks ago they sent me a re-programmed EEC that did not work. Though they promised to help me all I get the run around.

Just like when the Man retired I was left to program my Cat myself. Once again I have to tread the path of the EEC tuner. With my buddies (Jeff) 5 gas, scanner and a newly repaired cigarette lighter from Max at 5 Star I will be working on the tune this weekend. Thanks Max! Wish me luck!

Oooooh yea!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Looks great John, like I said before, never give up! something like an accident cant stop you... and you kept the investment of all that work alive in the new chassis.When you get through with tunin' her you'll be runnin' better than before....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Holy, that is going to do some damage. Good damage. Well infact I....

....Thats all I got.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Can't wait to see that run some day... And unlike at Carlisle time, I've got my mn12 now too. I bet you've got the same feeling I do, having a new toy to play with :)

Tom

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Congrats on getting another 5.4 cat back on the road. I cant wait to see what it becomes in the future.
Any more pics? From the outside?

-Shawn

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
John, the cat looks real nice, and stealthy too.... You loose much in settling for the accident?.... Bet your wife is keeping a low profile about now, huh? you can be proud of doing it twice now, and doing it well.....

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jake,
I got $5,800 for the old Cat after deducible. Bought the new cat for $3k, got a (still not working) FordChip for $125, spent $3,500 for the swap and sold my old cat and 97 drive train for $650. Down and dirty I am out $175.

But having the Wife do the damage does have some perks. She is not complaining about the seat covers, steering wheel cover and other trim pieces. I think I just be able to pull of a new hood, a paint job along with some Dyno time...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
John: some unsolicited advice, keep the hood ya got, stay stealthy, and put the cash in a E-150 van intake, plus plumbing.......I got pulled over principally for the hood, ostensibly for "too dark a tint onna winnows", by a young Iowa trooper who was on a fishing expedition . Ensunig discussions, were a PITA, and imagine his dissapointment in encountering a crusty old sea capt., who doesnt suffer fools lightly, and not about to be shoved around... Never got to the Pi**ing contest stage ,but a total waste of my time, and the Warning ticket for following too closely an afterthought on his part.......Sounds as tho you came out pretty good, a little extra time, a newer ride, a few revisions, and a supportive wife as a bonus ....LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
My dad drives a E something 5.0L van can I steal his intake. This sounds intreasting I want to no more please. Please??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Also, where do you find a 5.7 engine, and what is the displacement.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Birdman......Well, lets see , you are driving a 4.6 modular, right? well we are talking on this thread about John millers 5.4 liter modular truck engine which has been transplanted into a mn-12 chassis, replacing a 4.6 liter modular... their respective displacements are: 330 c.i.d. and 281 c.i.d..... the 5.7 you mentioned would be what is called a 347 cid, which to my knowledge only comes as a pushrod engine, non-modular........ Now, as to the van intake that I was referring to , thats out of a E-150 Ford Van with a 5.4 liter engine. You see, the 5.4 L engine doesnt have many induction choices, and this appears to possibly be a better choice than the f-150 intake I am currently running on my 5.4, and possibly Johns modified 4.6 intake.... the Issue is that the 5.4 is about 1.5" wider than the 4.6, and the manifolds that fit, are for the most part less than perfect, and are too tall with too long runners to make good H.P
Also the plenums are too small, so the charge air is such that the pulses make real good torque and fair h.p. , at a lower rpm than a 4.6, but run downward on the power curves earlier, so they do not make good drag racers... lotsa fun on the street, and do interesting burnouts, but do not make "proportional" higher rpm horsepower.....
........................................................................................................................................'95 LX, 5.4 L, working on fitting a 6# powerdyne in limited space( I know! I'll cut another hole inna hood and expand vertically!)

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welp, I got news that my replacement Fchip is shipping. Hopefully, that will get me most of the way there. I have found a Dyno and will be making an appointment to finish her off. I hope that I can meet or exceed my old numbers...

Jake, you have to start posting updates on that super charger install in your 5.4L. I am glad you are in Florida. That puppy will have a hard time staying on the road up here when it snows...

·
Registered
489 Posts
looks great J!!!:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts