TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
The only reason why I want this engine is because Ford hasnt made one like it in 20+ years and its a middle finger to the whole "go green" movement that made engines get smaller in the first place.
Green was just a color in the 1990s, trucks were largely unaffected by previous efforts to downsize cars via CAFE. It was driven by the beancounting Nasser era Ford to dump the pushrod V8s and I6 in trucks if favor of the passenger car derived Modulars and V6s to reduce manufacturing costs. Diesels played the big hand in driving out the big low revving gas V8 trucks on top of that, in fact you may have to partially thank green for this engine happening, environmental groups are far more eager today to phase out diesel engines than gas in the wake of dieselgate.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Green was just a color in the 1990s, trucks were largely unaffected by previous efforts to downsize cars via CAFE. It was driven by the beancounting Nasser era Ford to dump the pushrod V8s and I6 in trucks if favor of the passenger car derived Modulars and V6s to reduce manufacturing costs. Diesels played the big hand in driving out the big low revving gas V8 trucks on top of that, in fact you may have to partially thank green for this engine happening, environmental groups are far more eager today to phase out diesel engines than gas in the wake of dieselgate.

I mean its a middle finger because ford and other manufacturers are taking smaller and smaller engines and throwing turbos on them to try and meet requirements and still make power. I always thought theyd make an ecoboost coyote to replace the 6.2. But instead they did a complete 180 from the direction theyve been going in and how everyone else seems to be going. Probably a warped perspective because I have been wanting Ford to make an engine like this since I was 13 but thats just how I feel about it. In the end Ford has their reasons and have been messing with it for years to see if it was worth bringing it out. We'll see when it rolls in its first truck.

And they will phase out diesel cars, they dont have any benefits nowadays. But medium and large bore engines are staying for a bit longer.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts

I mean its a middle finger because ford and other manufacturers are taking smaller and smaller engines and throwing turbos on them to try and meet requirements and still make power. I always thought theyd make an ecoboost coyote to replace the 6.2. But instead they did a complete 180 from the direction theyve been going in and how everyone else seems to be going. Probably a warped perspective because I have been wanting Ford to make an engine like this since I was 13 but thats just how I feel about it. In the end Ford has their reasons and have been messing with it for years to see if it was worth bringing it out. We'll see when it rolls in its first truck.

And they will phase out diesel cars, they dont have any benefits nowadays. But medium and large bore engines are staying for a bit longer.
As much as I’d like to see it as Ford sticking it to the maaaaan, the reality is when you reflect on the broad history of the industry you start to notice forced induction goes in and out of favor like the tides, always with the same tagline of big engine power/small engine economy... until the cheaper to manufacture big engine makes a technological breakthrough to make it just as economical.

If they put the 7.3 into the Mustang, then it would be a middle finger, a full regression from the ever more worldly sharp handling/high winding legitimate sports car image the Mustang has been garnering in this generation. In a gigantic dually pickup? The loud coal rolling brodozers prior haven’t exactly had a green sunshine and roses public image up to now.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If they put the 7.3 into the Mustang, then it would be a middle finger, a full regression from the ever more worldly sharp handling/high winding legitimate sports car image the Mustang has been garnering in this generation.

Who knows, they might do it. There were rumors over a year ago that Ford was gonna have a 7+ liter v8 in a mustang and that was before this engine was ever anounced.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for posting the article. The bore/ stroke looked favorable- “Bore and stroke comes in at 4.22-inches x 3.976-inches, respectively“.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts