TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Can someone please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of cutting of the O/D button?

I know it may be a crazy question, but before I decide to cut it off, I want to see if it is wise or not...

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts
Agreed.

Advantages - None.

Question asked, question answered. The answer to this question should be pretty obvious.

I don't even want to know why your contemplating this.

I considered locking this nonsensical question thread but I'll let it go - for a little bit at least.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
The only advantages are that you're able to shift into 2nd much more quickly than from 4th, and avoid the 4-2 kickdown that known to be hard on the earlier transmissions.

On a side note, a WOT 3-4 is not something someone with an untuned car needs to worry about since the WOT 3-4 will occur roughly 15 MPH over the vehicle speed limiter. But yes, the gist is that once 5V (127.5 MPH) is reached on the speed sensor, a 3-4 will be commanded.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
if I am driving on a 40 mph road I lock out OD as it hunts very easily with slight changes in grade and throttle input. I find I get better mileage with it in D over OD in this situation. at 45 mph it pretty much stays in OD unless I purposely give it enough throttle to shift down.

I also will lock out OD when descending a mountain pass when there are lots of turns. Engine braking and slight braking before the turn is less scary than braking through the turn.

But it all matters on your driving style and environment, and how hard you like to drive.

·
Registered
408 Posts
By "cutting off" is the OP referring to turning off (i.e., green dash light on) or physically removing the button from the shifter grip?

If the former, then the OP may simply be unfamiliar with his vehicle. If the latter, it could be that his (or their own) vehicle was damaged by someone else who abused it with OD disabled and he's determined not to let that happen again -- it'd be a much better idea to simply disconnect wiring to it, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed.

Advantages - None.

Question asked, question answered. The answer to this question should be pretty obvious.

I don't even want to know why your contemplating this.

I considered locking this nonsensical question thread but I'll let it go - for a little bit at least.
You know what Trunk Monkey..I didn't expect you to come at me like this!..If I really knew the answer I wouldn't have asked...

Keep in mind that not all members here know what you know.And no question should be considered as foolishness.
I do appreciate those here that answered my question and gave their feedback and what actually happens.
If you feel that you need to lock this thread that of course is your choice,but keep in mind that I was sincerely asking a question..that's it.

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts
I apologize. In hindsight I guess I mis-read the question - although it wasn't written very clearly as Torque pointed out in post #6.

Hello All!

Can someone please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of cutting of the O/D button?

I know it may be a crazy question, but before I decide to cut it off, I want to see if it is wise or not...

Thanks!
There's a big difference between cutting off and turning off ...

Sorry if I missed your intended meaning. I'm no mind reader.

·
Super Moderator
16,984 Posts
Hi, could someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages to cutting off the rear brakes?

I want to see if it is wise or not...

You know what Trunk Monkey..I didn't expect you to come at me like this!..If I really knew the answer I wouldn't have asked...

Keep in mind that not all members here know what you know.And no question should be considered as foolishness.
I do appreciate those here that answered my question and gave their feedback and what actually happens.
If you feel that you need to lock this thread that of course is your choice,but keep in mind that I was sincerely asking a question..that's it.
A bit of explanation of what you're trying to accomplish i your first post would go a long way. I'm still not sure what that is exactly. Cutting out overdrive isn't as simple as unplugging the button from the shifter.

"And no question should be considered as foolishness."

Oh really? This is the world wide web, where every question conceivable has been asked and answered in every possible language, dialect or slang. If the answer can't be found, then the person seeking/asking the question is either a fool or the question is just plain foolish.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I apologize. In hindsight I guess I mis-read the question - although it wasn't written very clearly as Torque pointed out in post #6.

There's a big difference between cutting off and turning off ...

Sorry if I missed your intended meaning. I'm no mind reader.
Thanks Trunk Monkey! I feel better! I apologize as well because I did make a small grammar mistake in my question..We ALL make mistakes when we are typing at times.....

Here is what I meant to say......" Could someone please tell me the advantages/disadvantages of cutting the O/D button (OFF)?

Or for those who don't understand here it is typed another way...."Could someone please tell me the advantages/disadvantages of (TURNING)the O/D button (OFF)?

Some understood what I was trying to say, hence the replies I got that directly answered the question..I am sorry that my grammar caused some to think I was being just plain stupid!:tongue:

Hi, could someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages to cutting off the rear brakes?

A bit of explanation of what you're trying to accomplish i your first post would go a long way. I'm still not sure what that is exactly. Cutting out overdrive isn't as simple as unplugging the button from the shifter.

"And no question should be considered as foolishness."

Oh really? This is the world wide web, where every question conceivable has been asked and answered in every possible language, dialect or slang. If the answer can't be found, then the person seeking/asking the question is either a fool or the question is just plain foolish.
Here we go again!:(...Read my last reply to Trunk Monkey....

GEEZ XR-7 lighten up! It's not that serious....go work on your car or something! HAHA:cool:

TRUST ME I AIN'T NO FOOL!

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts

Hey, if you drive well enough you don't need brakes; brakes are for lusers.

When I get all this front end damage fixed, we'll have to run 'em, Matt ... darn mailtrucks...

:rofl:

BlueT-Bird, you'd be amazed what we see sometimes; don't take it personally.

You ain't special, and if you hang out long enough, you'll know these cars.

You can search from Google using site:tccoa.com at the end of your search to narrow it a lot; everything you will run into is here, pretty much.

Finding it, due to people asking the same questions repeatedly, is almost impossible from the search box on the site anymore.

If you haven't seen it yet, check this out.

Don't be this guy...
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133187

:D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I use my OD button quite often , I leave the OD off when getting on the freeway then after I get merged and happy I turn OD on, when braking; either off ramps or just slightly in traffic , or if I getting ready to pass or pull some "zippy" move that I normally wouldn't do on the freeway but I have learned to do so I can survive on I-264 VA Beach traffic I'll turn off OD as I'm getting ready to "zip" so I don't get a 4-3,3-2 kickdown also keep in mind I have a NA 3.8 you have to learn how to drive these Power Houses. lol. Also 10 years in a trans shop and seeing what trans do when people lug them around in OD with low speeds and hilly roads and the constant 4-3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4 shifts not to mention the TC lock up, I try not to lug my around in OD unless I'm on a long stretch with minimal stops. Just my 2 bits worth.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i agree. i live and travel mostly in town traffic. i turn my OD off as soon as i start my car, since my top speed is usually 30-35 mph, and even that isn't often in town. now when i get on the truck route, or in the country/interstae, or a long drive. the OD is on, and shifting smoothly. my .02

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts
My OD is off by default when I would start my car. :)
It's a setting. Not visible to the naked eye. LOL. Can't remember who I got the value file from. This was years and years ago.
pfft. :rolleyes:

You're too lazy to burn the one calorie it takes to push the button and turn it off manually after starting the car and too enamored with the techno wizardry of changing a line of tuning code from 1 to 0. :tongue:

Me? I'll burn the calorie. Thank you very much. :D

You just know I had to give you a hard time about that one. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If I could have traction control off and OD off by default in the Mark VIII I would be happy.

Still chasing gremlins so it isn't as easy as pressing vehicle settings then reset, I haven't pulled the pin from the connector to turn off the air suspension error, every 3000 miles it complains about the oil, every 210 miles it is low on fuel, still have the check transmission error due to the TFT, so sometimes I have to press reset 4 times to get to disable TC.

But yes, OD is easy, and I am already in position to disable it, it is an automatic reaction just like it was in my 97 Cougar

1 - 20 of 31 Posts