TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK! It's fixed!

Thanks to Daily Driven 94 and Rolling Thunder and a few others!

After the 3 cans of carbon cleaner that didn't work....DD94 suggested that I clean the MAF sensor. I finally broke down and bought the tamper proof torx bits ($26 at Car Quest...only place around here that had them) and examined the sensor wires under 10X. HOLY COW! I couldn't even see the wires on one of the spools. I used a Q-tip and electrical contact cleaner to gently scrub most of the garbage off. I reinstalled the sensor, cleared the EEC, and gave her a test drive.

I couldn't believe it! 85% of the pinging was GONE!

I brought her back after a 30 minute test drive to re-educate the EEC. Rolling Thunder suggested I change to one step colder plugs to dissipate some of the heat, because my car wasn't pinging at all when cold. He gave me the Motorcraft number (don't remember it), but nobody here had them. I cross-referenced the number and ended up with Autolite 103 plugs. I gapped them at .058, installed them, took it for a 15 mile test drive at high speed (80 or so to me is high speed). The pinging is virtually gone! Sometimes I think I can hear a ping or two...under certain accelleration situations...but I'm not sure. I would imagine if I used 89 octane, there would be no question about pinging.

I am so elated to have this thing solved! Thanks guys! I'm a happy camper!

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you still have some ping, and you went to colder plugs, and your spark plug wires are in new or near new condition, you may want to close the gap a tiny bit to see if you get rid of the rest of the ping.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean .004 over factory gap could cause a ping? Really?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Factory is a conservative recommendation. But as with any machine, you are talking about many parts coming together. Tolerances may vary. If you are already running hi octane gas, and you have good ignition components, and you still ping, you may need to close the gap some.

In general, for the timing your engine is at, and the octane you intend to use, you want to use the biggest gap you can, without "pinging" (detonation, pre-ignition, whatever you want to call it). You can run an engine on synthetic oil, hi octane fuel, and stuff like that, and destroy it faster by pinging, then a non-pinging engine run on inexpensive fuel and cheap petroleum oil. Friction kills... heat kills... detonation kills faster.

If you are using premium and everything else, try closing the gap to see if any of it goes away.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the synopsis. I appreciate it. I'm running 87 octane, not premium. If you read the last line of my initial post, I state ".....I'm sure 89 octane will take care of it..." refferring to the ping. And I'm sure it will....I haven't tried it...not sure I need to.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I think I read in the service manual that "a slight amount of pinging is normal". I'll try to find it and post the source. I know a lot of 4.6L's that ping with 87 octane, hot air temp, and heavy engine load.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!!! (And I know you're glad!! That pinging sounds like a death rattle in the 4.6L!!!) :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts