TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so within the last week or so my 97, 4.6L has developed a ping when I accelerate, almost sounds is if the timing is off, but it was fine last week. I run 89 octane, but nevertheless it is very annoying. Any advice on how to fix or info on what it is would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Run a can of seafoam through it. If that persists, then have it tuned for the E10 you're running in it. Or, you can switch to spark plugs that are one heat range colder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. Now that you mention it, I changed the spark plugs last week I put in the autolight platinum plugs that were listed. So sounds like the plugs could be causing the ping. Curious what spark plugs people recommend for the SOHC 4.6?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
NGK TR55 for stock heat range, TR6 for one heat range cooler.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Clean your MAF sensor. When I bought my car it was pinging a bit, I cleaned it and the pinging went away.... until I got a tuner.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yup, first thing is maf cleaning, then plugs and wires. make sure your PCV is operational. Too much oily crankcase gases making it into the cylinders lowers the effective octane and decreases spark knock resistance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the sugestions, I cleaned the MAF Sensor and it took care of the ping, also took off the silencer wile I was at it. Love this forum I never would of thought to clean the MAF to stop a engin ping

Thanks again!!
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts