TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the larger alt pulley and the new crank pulley as expected; however, there was something else call a "Harmonic balancer" which has the same bolt configuration as the water pump pulley and significantly larger.

I was wanting to ask... ( I HAVE SEARCHED)

1.) I am assuming this "harmonic balancer" is just the new water pump pulley? Am I right or wrong?

2.) The crank pulley looks like the one in the March set, where the old one will have to stick out of it.. I thought the Steeda set was Non-Piggyback??? Maybe I am reading something wrong, please help me out!

John

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
The harmonic balancer sits on the front of the crankshaft behind the crank pulley.

You will need a puller to get the old one off. Don't worry about marking it, there's a woodruff key on the shaft , so it only goes on one way.

Be careful not to damage the crank position sensor, you may want to remove it first.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LiquidCougar said:
The harmonic balancer sits on the front of the crankshaft behind the crank pulley.

You will need a puller to get the old one off. Don't worry about marking it, there's a woodruff key on the shaft , so it only goes on one way.

Be careful not to damage the crank position sensor, you may want to remove it first.

The hole in the harmonic balancer however is smaller than the the crank pulley's end (with the notch key) so it won't slide in there at all. That is why I am confused.

I knew about the puller, I am really confused by the instructions here:

www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/pull1.htm

They talk about boiling the crank pulley (new one) while it is attached to the old one and stuff, I thought non-piggy systems didn't involve this at all?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You should have three pulleys. Smallest to largest.
Alternator, crank and water pump.
The instructions on Mustang World are for March pulleys(piggy-back).
"Boiling the assembly will slightly expand the metal and allow you to slip this onto the crankshaft very easily ".
Here is a good thread on Steeda installs.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JR Tigerstar said:
You should have three pulleys. Smallest to largest.
Alternator, crank and water pump.
The instructions on Mustang World are for March pulleys(piggy-back).
"Boiling the assembly will slightly expand the metal and allow you to slip this onto the crankshaft very easily ".
Here is a good thread on Steeda installs.
Yeah, everything sounded right until I saw Boil and then i was like.. What the heck???

Anyways, this clears up the mist, thank you very much JR Tigerstar and LiquidCougar!

John

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I'm pretty sure you know this, but, when you install the new crank pulley, make sure you put some gasket sealer in the keyway and around the end of the pulley so that when you put it on, it doesn't start to leak oil later on. I was told to do this on mine, and so far, no leaks, so...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FordMan77 said:
I'm pretty sure you know this, but, when you install the new crank pulley, make sure you put some gasket sealer in the keyway and around the end of the pulley so that when you put it on, it doesn't start to leak oil later on. I was told to do this on mine, and so far, no leaks, so...
Jay,
Yeah, I was told about the gasket sealer on the key notch thingy and the center of pulley to seal it nice and tight.

Thanks again for the offer on the help, hopefully I won't need to call ya, as I am gonna try and have a friend help me work on it.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
No problem. Good luck on the install. You should be fine. Hey, BTW, I noticed someone resurrected your thread in the drivetrain forum about the cooler. Did you ever get your cooler from TT?

Anyway, if you can't get it, let me know. Just remember that the crank bolt is a PITA sometime, especially if you just jam the flywheel like I did for my install, lol.

Jay

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FordMan77 said:
No problem. Good luck on the install. You should be fine. Hey, BTW, I noticed someone resurrected your thread in the drivetrain forum about the cooler. Did you ever get your cooler from TT?

Anyway, if you can't get it, let me know. Just remember that the crank bolt is a PITA sometime, especially if you just jam the flywheel like I did for my install, lol.

Jay
Yeah I got the tranny cooler in, i had it propped like you did, then when the mechanics and I were bored at work we tried something different and bolted it straight up and zip tied the lines together VERY clean look (I had 2 hoses hanging down a little.. I had too much hose :( )

I'll probably hit up that install on Saturday... Hopefully I'll notice the gains right off the bat!

Thanks again Jay,

John

I PM'ed ya by the way.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
FordMan77 said:
Just so you know, signatures aren't supposed to be longer than 10 lines ;)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts