TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THIS Canadian's outlook

As I have been looking through this site, I have seen alot of negative posts regarding those opposed to the war. I just wanted to state that just because the Canadian government has chosen to act the way they have definately does not reflect the opinions of all Canadians. I for one felt embarassed at the way our PM Jean Cretien reacted to the war on Iraq.

We are two countries that have had a relationship like no other in history. Even in these troubled times we still share the world's longest undefended border. That is why I couldn't understand how we could even think of not offering our assisstance in the war. Many people I know shared my feelings on this. Nowadays it's alot easier to make enemies than friends, and we should have stood by our allies. Instead we're found sitting on our hands. Our military is in very poor condition(another story altogether), but we do have groups of special teams that proved very effective in Afganastan.

I think the reason I wanted to say this is to show that the actions of a government does not always effect the views of its people. With elections coming soon, I'm sure that will be made obvious.

I am a Canadian, and a very proud one at that. I also have respect for the American people, and I consider us still friends. I support your countries efforts overseas, and I believe in the cause that you are fighting for.

I am also sure that after this is done, the wounds that our friendship have endured will be healed and we will again have the relationship we had before this started.

my 2 cents

ty

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
funny thing is, we all really do say that. its alot more noticeable when i visit family in Texas. they pick it off really quick, and until somebody comments you dont realize how much i actually say it.

ty

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I would agree that we should work in partnership, but we are two separate countries and we have not always agreed with the USA on policy or where and how we participate in military action. We were in the 2nd world war long before the USA and it was Canadians that took Vimy Ridge at huge cost to our countrymen.

I don't agree that economics should be affected between our countries as a result of our governments' stance. We have taken a peacekeeping role since WW2. We have disagreed in the past.

Canadian economics are being affected by a silent boycott of Canadian goods at the moment. I am now having to look for a new job because the company that I work with exports a large amount to the USA. Or rather, used to export to the USA. Since the war began we have not had one single order in a month from across the border. We have met with other companies in the same situation. It is a shame, because this is not likely to end any time soon and I only began working with this company in Feb.

It's also difficult to support a USA administration that has shut down a segment of our lumber industry in BC, regardless of whether I agree with them on foriegn policy.

But where does it stop?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I don't judge someone by their government, but if you don't agree with your government, perhaps you make your voice known (write your government rep!) or perhaps consider moving to a country that you do agree with.

tyson said:
funny thing is, we all really do say that. its alot more noticeable when i visit family in Texas. they pick it off really quick, and until somebody comments you dont realize how much i actually say it.

ty
and you can pick on them for sayin y'all.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Here's some good stuff from other Canadians with the proper point of view:

http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=canada_home&articleID=1314174

Dear friends and brothers:

I feel compelled today to write this note.

I have been proud every day of my life to call myself a Canadian. Until today.

As the U.S. marches into war, I am sickened and ashamed at the cowardice shown by our Prime Minister, Jean Cretien (who I sure as hell didn't vote for!), in saying that Canada would not support the U.S. in a Military action against Iraq unless sanctioned by the U.N.
Please don't think that this banty rooster of a man speaks for the entire Canadian public. For years, many of us have considered him a harmless joke with no reasonable replacement available. Canadians chuckled when he made his barely intelligible comments and speeches and continued on their merry way. We made a big mistake.
We are fortunate that most of us are too old to have to sling rifles over our shoulders and climb into the trenches, but so unfortunate to have to watch those younger than us, that haven't experienced our pleasures and losses do it for us. Canada has no fighting force left to speak of. Our successive governments have decimated our military. What was once one of the proudest and most respected fighting forces on the planet is no longer capable of getting to the action without asking for a ride. It's a national shame that the Canadian people have stood by and watched because we could always count on the protection of our brothers south of the border.
I, for one among many, thank you for the umbrella of security the United States places over our Country. I'm sickened that our government hasn't the ability or courage to do the same.

Rest assured, behind the political posturing of our weak and ineffectual government the majority of the people of Canada are standing firmly beside the United States. I haven't talked to a single person that does not support the U.S. in this action. Not one. If I did, I wouldn't talk for long.

I'm proud of what it has meant to me to be a Canadian and always will be, but I'm ashamed at what we have allowed our government to bring us to.

I remain,
Your brother.

Take care and play safe.

Ron Biekx
General Manager
Grand Bend Motorplex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts