TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,957 Posts
I wouldn’t kick a robot because it’s destruction of property, but let’s just say if I saw a robot laying helplessly by the side of the road I wouldn’t help it, because it’s a robot lol Robots are designed by humans to supposedly make life easier for humans, that’s it, no other purpose. No book or movie or TV show will convince me AI has a soul or feelings, and I say that as a fan of the Short circuit movies as a kid. Han Solo had it right in Empire when C3PO was being more annoying than helpful - “either shut him up or shut him down!”😁

As for sharing the roads with autonomous cars, I don’t tailgate people on the highway who are going too slow in the left lane because I know some ******* will brake check me, but with an autonomous car I might change that habit if they actually do get out of the way. Beyond that I’m not sure what other treatment there is to bully them, unless honking or flipping the bird will register, I’m not planning to run them off the road into a ditch or anything - but once again, if I saw one randomly drive off into a ditch sans occupants I’d have a nice Ha!Ha! and proceed on my way.

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
In theory, autonomous cars shouldn't even need bullying. The autonomous car will not be sitting in the left lane at 5-10mph under the speed limit. They will move left, pass, and then move right again, like you are supposed to do! People get this attitude that "I'm going fast enough, so that guy can just wait". Lines of code could give a **** how fast you want to go, other than making sure not to hit you if you are going slower. Plus if all the autonomous cars are programmed to block other cars, then nobody would get anywhere, but if they are all programmed to get to the destination safely while following the rules of the road, they are more efficient, safer, faster, and more likely to succeed, so it is actually in their interest to program the cars in this manor.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,694 Posts
I think where "self driving" cars will go is the same place autopilots have gone for aircraft. Autopilot will do the flying for you in a safe way under almost all conditions, but it's designed to let the human pilots take over at any time - usually if something arises that requires the human element of intervention. There are of course some elements the "fly by wire" computerized control prevents manual control from doing (for example, in the much publicized case of the 737 MAX which was supposed to prevent pilots from inducing a stall with the MCAS sub-routine, which was sadly hastily and poorly developed and deployed), similar to "auto braking" systems on some newer cars, but in the end autopilot won't prevent a pilot from instructing a $300,000,000 jetliner from flying into the side of a mountain under poorly planned flight in IMC. Or, if you remember MH370, from flying out into the middle of nowhere to exhaust its fuel to a watery grave.

Unfortunately I think there will be very few people who will totally relinquish their control over their vehicle for a 100% automatic and hands-off trip from point A to point B, and a certain percentage of vehicles on the road will need to be doing exactly that in order for optimal traffic flow for all parties to occur. The unpredictability of human behavior is something that won't go away, and by its very nature is going to be hard to program around. No matter how many perfectly programmed and symbiotic self-driving cars there are on the interstate at a given moment, all it takes is one oblivious stooge on manual control parked in the passing lane to bottle up traffic flow for everybody.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
As long as they don’t take suggestions from their back seat driver “drivers”, hopefully it works out that way
C'mon: Don't you want to see cars implement a BOOST button? Then it would be just like a video game.

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Unfortunately I think there will be very few people who will totally relinquish their control over their vehicle for a 100% automatic and hands-off trip from point A to point B, and a certain percentage of vehicles on the road will need to be doing exactly that in order for optimal traffic flow for all parties to occur. The unpredictability of human behavior is something that won't go away, and by its very nature is going to be hard to program around. No matter how many perfectly programmed and symbiotic self-driving cars there are on the interstate at a given moment, all it takes is one oblivious stooge on manual control parked in the passing lane to bottle up traffic flow for everybody.
I think more people than you would think would be willing to let go 100%. To a car enthusiast, driving is a pleasure, but to most people, at most times, driving is just a chore, and a car is just an appliance, and so an autonomous car would be viewed the same way as a dishwasher. You certainly wouldn’t say that people won’t give up 100% control of washing their dishes. I think the only thing to overcome in order to get 90%+ to go autonomous is the fear of crashing, and the fact that almost everyone thinks they are a better than average driver, and so even when the autonomous car is statistically much safer, everyone thinks they are better still.

As for one driver stopping everyone by sitting in the left lane, how is that any different from today? Everyone is just as delayed by the one left lane hog regardless of who or what’s is driving their vehicle. The only difference is that autonomous cars would greatly reduce the number of them on the road. I don’t believe people set out on a drive with the intention of blocking traffic. Most of the left lane hogs are either people who are not paying attention (who would all welcome the opportunity to text away while their car drives them to their destination) or people who get vindictive from sitting in traffic, most of whom would also give up the reins to avoid that stress.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I think more people than you would think would be willing to let go 100%. To a car enthusiast, driving is a pleasure, but to most people, at most times, driving is just a chore, and a car is just an appliance, and so an autonomous car would be viewed the same way as a dishwasher. You certainly wouldn’t say that people won’t give up 100% control of washing their dishes. I think the only thing to overcome in order to get 90%+ to go autonomous is the fear of crashing, and the fact that almost everyone thinks they are a better than average driver, and so even when the autonomous car is statistically much safer, everyone thinks they are better still.

As for one driver stopping everyone by sitting in the left lane, how is that any different from today? Everyone is just as delayed by the one left lane hog regardless of who or what’s is driving their vehicle. The only difference is that autonomous cars would greatly reduce the number of them on the road. I don’t believe people set out on a drive with the intention of blocking traffic. Most of the left lane hogs are either people who are not paying attention (who would all welcome the opportunity to text away while their car drives them to their destination) or people who get vindictive from sitting in traffic, most of whom would also give up the reins to avoid that stress.
My Prius is already an appliance and treated as such. Its also the same color as my LG washer and dryer.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Between my Honda and my Wife's Taurus, I don't see either of them as an appliance. My Honda is fun to drive. It's quick and nimble, but it's not fast. My wife's Taurus isn't nimble, but it definitely has "get up and go" along with it being an ideal 90-ish MPH cruising car.

A Prius is definitely an appliance :p

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
LOL That secret hand shake and starting sequence of turning off all the extra sh!t is hilarious. Regarding the lane departure warning and assist BS I had a Volvo rental in FL a few years ago that had that and I hated it! The damn thing would fight me when I tried to change lanes. Something that is done regularly when driving! Just like he describes at about the seven minute mark! FUN! His review and description of the technology is spot on.

Anyway, as we were talking about automation removing retail jobs with self-check out registers, etc. I wanted to share this video of an inventory taking robot that I shot at a WalMart in Arkansas back in October of last year. I had never seen anything like it and I was pretty impressed with the technology. Welcome to the future!

You know it wouldn't fight you if you have your turn signal on right? 😝

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here is your "transponder" idea being introduced. I saw these for the first time a few weeks ago.

You do contradict yourself a bit here with the transponder idea. You say that they shouldn't have GPS tech inside them so that there wouldn't be any privacy conflicts. Then later you say that they should be pingable so that they can be easily found. The fact that it can be pinged means that it has GPS tech inside of the device.
No, they are 2 different things in terms of privacy. A transponder type device would only communicate with nearby cars to say basically I'm this type of car (size) driving this fast in this direction, the digital version of line-of-sight identification. The other transponders use that data to coordinate spacing and changing lanes. A GPS is in constant communication with a centralized source pinpointing exactly where it is on the Earth.

The pingable aspect would be purely for the police in immediate circumstances, meaning your car is stolen or there's a kidnapping or hit & run or something. Not a full log of all your comings and goings, not spying. So if your stolen car went near something that could ping it there would be a "that car was just here heading north" message, nothing more. Nobody wants a record of their crappy driving habits so that later their insurance goes up or there are 5 tickets mailed to them. Transponders would only be used to help "smart" cars avoid accidents and allow "dumb" cars to share movement info with those "smart" or self-driving cars in order to better deal with traffic and lane changes. Nothing more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here is your "transponder" idea being introduced. I saw these for the first time a few weeks ago.

You do contradict yourself a bit here with the transponder idea. You say that they shouldn't have GPS tech inside them so that there wouldn't be any privacy conflicts. Then later you say that they should be pingable so that they can be easily found. The fact that it can be pinged means that it has GPS tech inside of the device.
Just read the article. This part -

The tracking ability and the concentration of data make privacy advocates nervous.

Stephanie Lacambra of the technology privacy advocacy group the Electronic Frontier Foundation told the Chronicle that someone's location data "has the potential to reveal a lot more than ... where you happen to be at a particular moment in time." She added, "It's still not clear where all this information is going, how long it's stored or who has access to it."

Reviver Auto says the company never shares data "with the DMV, law enforcement, or any other third party," and says users can turn off location data at any time. The company also says it has the same security standards that banks use in their online services to protect from hacking.

is what I'm talking about that is more than an actual transponder. Communicating up to some centralized network is beyond what is useful. That would allow for spying and overreach. What I'm talking about is simple "I'm here going over there, adjust your path accordingly" info for other (self-driving) cars with transponders. How many times have we heard "We never share data with anybody!" from these idiots only to find out that they did or that they got hacked and the same outcome occurred? Make it impossible to upload that GPS type data in the first place, problem solved for the most part.

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
You know it wouldn't fight you if you have your turn signal on right? 😝
LOL ... you know I never thought of that, I'm sure you're right. Just another way big brother is imposing on my driving! The thing is when there's no one else around ONLY big brother gives a sh!t if my signal is on or not.

Working where I work ... and most of you know where that is. There are a lot of other "Big brother helpers out there." e.g. everyone's a frigging traffic Nazi. So this morning, the car in front of me and I both rolled up to a stop sign at the intersection near the parking lot. We both stopped at the sign while a pedestrian crossed the right hand crosswalk as he had cleared the crosswalk and proceed up the sidewalk to the right of my car we both proceeded to turn right towards the parking lot as there were no other cars or pedestrians at the intersection. I had my windows down because there's a tremendous amount of humidity in the air here and condensation on the windows as I turned the corner the pedestrian/"Big brother helper" said to me through my open window "There's a stop sigh there." Pfft. I ignored him and drove on. Some people ... everybody's a friggin' traffic cop.

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Anyway, "Innovation is the primary generator of employment but also the number one destroyer.

The most difficult competitor for any worker is a machine that can do the same job for essentially free. This unequal contest between our inventions and our workforce has depressed salaries and robbed millions of the dignity that comes with regular employment."

- Madeline Albright

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
41 - 55 of 55 Posts