TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It began Jan 2015 when I purchased a thunderbird with 88k on the clock.

I later found out that it sat a lot over the past 20 years, needing a lot of random bits replaced.

This post is about the final bits of the puzzle coming together, and a bit of a journalistic approach to it. I've roughly spent 2k on the car already, and it cost me 2k to buy it. I bought it sight unseen except via photos, the interior condition is what brought me to it. It has been a long trip since that fateful winter day in Laurel MD when i had the keys handed over to me. The first repairs i did were air filter, fuel filter, new tires, and an oil change. Later it progressed to new LCA's, new front brakes, brake fluid flush, then a fuel pump failure, new battery, new MAF, new oxygen sensors, new coil packs, new plugs and wires, new coolant hoses (yet to go on, waiting to do the intake manifold) and soon the intake swap. I've also decided to buy the Eagle Sport tires on LX Sport wheels, that set me back about 800 bucks, part of the huge cost. I need to recoup the losses on the 215/70R15 dunlops, i bought them when i was still in the mindset of keeping it 100% stock. Then i realized that why not make it more like what i wanted it to be.

Final repairs are happing this fall, then i am going to concentrate on the body work, replacing two panels due to rot on the rocker panel.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Awesome. It's great to hear you've brought this car back to life.

88K is really low mileage for a car this old.

Hope to see you at Carlisle next year.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. It's great to hear you've brought this car back to life.

88K is really low mileage for a car this old.

Hope to see you at Carlisle next year.
It isn't a hope, but a set fact. It may be incomplete, but i am getting there one way or another.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
... It's a hope for me ... :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
I know. I made the trip this year up to Carlisle. It's not that bad. The worst part is running the VA trooper gauntlet. They're one of the worst Communist, Nazi, etc. states about speeding. (They rank #6 among the strictest states.) I've learned to really watch my speed in VA. Hell, they even stopped me one time just to write me a tint ticket. Did I mention that I really hate driving in VA?

I don't know what my schedule will hold for me next year. It's too early to say. I'll let ya know as it gets closer.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Stock up on beer (if that's your thing) there's a lot of social drinking that goes on there in the evenings at the hotel.

You probably don't want to book a room any later than March for the June event. Most people book in late December.

I'll post more info as it gets closer. You won't hear anything about next years event until probably December.

Check out this year's thread for info. It doesn't change much from year to year.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=154081

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't drink, but due to NJ having different laws, i could...help someone else stock up. cheaper i think in NJ.
I'll book and pay for everything in December, i am going to do the parade.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm thinking I may attend this too. I've always gone for the day or gone and stayed overnight with a buddy at his relatives near by. I do know that rooms go fast and event parking can be problematic or expensive.

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
Im going. Will have the coyote swap done by then, so, thatll be a nice kinda maiden trip.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jmod Valve body installed, water pump seepage detected. Going to have all the hoses replaced by a friend who has done many intake swaps on the 4.6L, along with the water pump. I thought it was a heater hose leak, since i could never find the drips, it ended up just dripping onto the air deflector that is removed for oil changes.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The road may take a detour, with the winter months approaching super rapidly, the work may be halted on the car. I decided to start to modify the car, instead of using the NPI intake with alum crossover i obtained, i am going PI with a chip tune as well. I do plan on doing that after the car gets painted ,and all the mechanicals are 100%

·
Registered
622 Posts
Cool man upgrades are good!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts