TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy come over yesterday with his 97 3.8 bird and when he pulled in I was hearing the RF making squeaking noises. I started bouncing the rf and it sounds just like in this video except, turning the wheel you don't hear it. I took the tire off and looked around but I just could not pinpoint the sound. Now this bird has some miles and deffinately needs some work with suspension cause I'm seeing cracked boots on parts. He said it pulls to the right when he brakes. I went ahead, to get him home, and greased what I could. What do ya think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfo3QtR2iAE

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I just did the Lower ball joints on mine (not too bad of a job) just need the normal stuff: Splitter, press, etc. I think the oe ones are steel if I'm not mistaken. They were the cause of my squeak in the front end.

·
Registered
613 Posts
are those arms steel or aluminum?
Steel. Not that it matters.
Notice.. Strange it doesnt squeak turning wheel but there's no time to think about where and what and how much. I waited less than a hundred miles once and the car fell on its nose .. fortunately at low speed while parking.

Right after driving 50 miles on freeway

BY THE WAY!!! Whatever ones you install Check the LUBE. If you go cheap and dont install the ones with fittings, fill the boot with lube.

#@[email protected]#%#[email protected]@!# ones from Autozone my previous owner installed started squeaking at less than 10 kmiles. When they squeak, they are ruined, lifetime wise.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow up.
Come to find out on the front suspension on both sides was done 14 months ago. It was the lower balljoint, but here is the deal. Reeder chevrolet did the work cause his mom works there (divorced) and the guy that did the work when he put that in tore the boot and tried to patch the boot closed with white silicone. Well of course the silicone failed in time and mother nature won. Anyway, thanks for your guys input.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Boy come over yesterday with his 97 3.8 bird and when he pulled in I was hearing the RF making squeaking noises. I started bouncing the rf and it sounds just like in this video except, turning the wheel you don't hear it. I took the tire off and looked around but I just could not pinpoint the sound. Now this bird has some miles and deffinately needs some work with suspension cause I'm seeing cracked boots on parts. He said it pulls to the right when he brakes. I went ahead, to get him home, and greased what I could. What do ya think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfo3QtR2iAE
I had a similar problem on my old 87 Firebird. I'd had the lower ball joints replaced a year or so earlier, and I noticed that after a 25mile trip, when I returned home and was travelling at low speeds over bumps, and when turning the wheel to get into my driveway that there was a terrible plasticy squeak from the front both sides.

After checking everything, someone pointed out that the lower ball joints were probably greaseable. Most cars over here in the UK are fitted with sealed-for-life joints, and I never thought to check what had been fitted to my car. I checked and the were greaseable, so I filled them up with fresh grease both sides, and the problem was solved.

I thought that I may have wrecked the joints by driving them for a couple of thousand miles with little or no grease, however there was no play, and the car passed inspection for about 5yrs after that until I sold it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts