TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
56 Posts
I'm right smack in the middle- Alamance county. I need to know this mechanic lol... Dad says there aren't any good ones in NC! The guy I'd been taking my Freestyle to is not happy the T-Bird doesn't have an OBDII ('94 3.8), and told me I should have bought one of his Saturns instead ? As if! At least we have a mechanic at the tire shop who told me sincerely that mine is "a nice car". She's only got 25k miles and was garage-kept. My kids even know they need to keep her clean ??

I grew up outside of Cleveland. Dad worked at the airports (including some trips to Lorain). Where in Ohio are you from?

Cool! Welcome to TCCoA!

You're not alone in NC there are a few Tbird fans in the Carolinas including one of the finest Tbird mechanics in the country. I'm also an exBuckeye living in Charlotte now. What part of NC are you in?

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
The mechanic Trunk Monkey is referring to is Robert Pearson. The shop is Rob’s Tire and Auto in Carthage NC, looks like he is about an hour from you, so probably not worth the drive for routine maintenance, but I would definitely get the car to him to check out the transmission issue sooner rather than later. It could be as simple as needing a fluid change, but the more you drive it with a transmission issue, the worse the issue will get.

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
56 Posts
Thanks for the info! Fluid change was the first thing I did. Then MLPS, which does seem to have made a difference. It had been trying to go into third at 50 mph on flat terrain, which hasn't happened since replacing the MLPS. I found another thread where a lot of folks mentioned turning off the od if they were going to be on the edge of shifting, so I was feeling better about its maybe being a quirk rather than a malfunction, since it happened in a borderline 3rd/4th gear situation yesterday. Otoh, I go that way almost every day, and it's never happened there before. I may look this guy up, though the transmission guy I took it to yesterday said he couldn't diagnose it unless it happened while he was driving. Never has thrown any codes ?

The mechanic Trunk Monkey is referring to is Robert Pearson. The shop is Rob’s Tire and Auto in Carthage NC, looks like he is about an hour from you, so probably not worth the drive for routine maintenance, but I would definitely get the car to him to check out the transmission issue sooner rather than later. It could be as simple as needing a fluid change, but the more you drive it with a transmission issue, the worse the issue will get.

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Hi Lenise, I sent you Rob's phone number in a PM. I'm originally from Fremont, OH. (Near Sandusky and Toledo).

Sophious (SP?) is also up close to you. Rob can put you in touch with him. He knows these cars really well too.

Matt, Joe, Do you remember Sophious' correct user name? I can't find it.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Fremont! The wife and I head over there once every 4-6 weeks to visit a game store and buffet we discovered years ago, after we visited the RBH house and museum. Before that Fremont was just a "city on the way" to Findlay, where she did her undergrad studies for pre-vet medicine.

Sophosis?

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Yea, that's how you spell his username. Pretty cool! All together now, "It's a small world after all ...." LOL

Yea, I'm an old Fremonter. I haven't lived there since 1981 and I haven't been back there since like 2014? A lot of my relatives are buried near Clyde. I also have extended family in Columbus, Cleveland, Green Springs and Tiffin.

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
56 Posts
Thanks! I've met up with my kids' "other" grandparents a few times in the Sandusky area. Last time we went to Liberty Aviation Museum in Port Clinton. It was really nice! I couldn't talk the kids into going to gaze at the lake afterwards, though. They wanted to get back to my family ❤
Hi Lenise, I sent you Rob's phone number in a PM. I'm originally from Fremont, OH. (Near Sandusky and Toledo).

Sophious (SP?) is also up close to you. Rob can put you in touch with him. He knows these cars really well too.

Matt, Joe, Do you remember Sophious' correct user name? I can't find it.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That's fun. A couple years ago we did the flight on the Ford Tri-motor - that was different for sure. I somewhat-regularly flew in to PCW to eat at the Tin Goose diner. It's an expensive lunch, but it's also more fun that way. :) It's on my list to do again this year once the COVID19 mess clears out. A few vids of the last couple times I flew in:

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
56 Posts
That's awesome! I will have to show my Civil Air Patrol cadets when they get back from their dad's house. My dad maintained ILS equipment, mostly at Hopkins, but he traveled a little to the other airports. Used to take our friends to visit the air traffic control tower when they flew into town ? Of course, that was before 9/11
That's fun. A couple years ago we did the flight on the Ford Tri-motor - that was different for sure. I somewhat-regularly flew in to PCW to eat at the Tin Goose diner. It's an expensive lunch, but it's also more fun that way. :) It's on my list to do again this year once the COVID19 mess clears out. A few vids of the last couple times I flew in:

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'll jump in on the small world after all, of course a little late. I'm an ex-Lorain-ian living outside of Raleigh now. Wife and I spent 14 years in Akron before heading down here. I spent my summers growing up at Cedar Point, still love that place. Was in Lorain last year to visit the inlaws.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts