TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Professional Hot Rodding TV on Spike TV and they were talking about how the rear wheel drive axle is often overlooked and after a ton of mods usually undertake extreme stress and even break.

I also have seen this at the race track. A guy racing his old 65 or 66 Stang lost his rear wheels as his axle just broke off.

I was wondering what precautions us as T-Bird owners need to take on our rear axle and is there anything I at home can do to tune it up and make sure it's running okay? I ever heard there is a fluid that goes into it, but I can't remember the details.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't think you have to worry to much about that until you start adding some serious horsepower. I haven't read too much on hear about anyone doing anything to the rear really. Other than stiffening bars made by KB or JL. But I am sure someone with more horsepower will speak up... The fluid you are talking about is the rear differential fluid. I would change it and then not worry about it for a very long time. If you are worried about it that is... I think it is a 60k mile service item... Could be wrong...

Sam

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
That's kind of a general statement that they made on Spike TV....it really depends on the car. As far as our cars are concerned, your half shafts are plenty strong enough for where you are now, and like slayer said you need to be making some more power before they will be an issue.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
With a "descent" amount of power, and going up in gear size (like 4:10+) the limited slip unit could be a concern, but it just kind of depends on the condition of it (miles etc...).
Power + slicks can tend to break things, but it just depends...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Thomas said:
Raxles Halfshafts - beefier, and 31 spline.
They are 28 spline. GKN could soon be making 31 spline shafts for us though.

Russell

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I thought I heard of them making a set with 31 spline specially for someone? I'm sure they could do it again.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Thomas said:
I thought I heard of them making a set with 31 spline specially for someone? I'm sure they could do it again.
Oh ok. I just hadn't heard about that.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does reinforcing the rear axle provide HP increase?

Obviously it would provide more strength to the wheels....

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
Does reinforcing the rear axle provide HP increase?
No, because when you think about it, that's not possible.

·
8,978 Posts
If anything, the bigger heavier shaft would increase rotating mass and actually decrease the actual transfering of power to the wheels. But if it did, I doubt it'd be much.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know this sounds like a weird ? but when we burn out both wheels are spinning..

I heard (and seen) that some cars only spin one rear wheel actually. In fact, my friends 88 Olds only spun one wheel (it had a 5 litre single carburator motor)

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
That is the difference between having a limited slip or locker and a open differential.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
racecougar said:
That is the difference between having a limited slip or locker and a open differential.

-Rod

So what do we have?

(I am guessing then by your post both of our wheels spin at all times)

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
"We" have both...it depends on your car. A limited slip differential was an option. Check out the Gears section of the tech article, first one in the section, and check your door sticker...

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
Some MN12s had a Trac-Loc (limited slip) from the factory, and some came with open differentials. You can check your door tag for the axle code or get the code from the tag on the centersection (pumpkin) to determine if you have a Trac-Loc or open diff. There is a tech article here that lists the codes and will tell you which style differential you have.

-Rod

·
8,978 Posts
It varies really. Some sc's came with TL from the factory. But all other models only had TL as an option. And it was only a 95 dollar option too. PRETTY CHEAP. But anyway, check out this tech article to figure out which gears you have in your car. Click the link, then click on Gears at the top of the list.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/gears/index.html

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
Palmguy,

You type to fast, you beat me by 2 minutes. :D

-Rod

EDIT: But I beat Thomas by seconds! :xpp:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
We already knew THAT. ;)

IMHO, better bracing of the rear subframe and diff would not increase power, but it may make you faster because more power is transmitted to the ground.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts