TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys...What is the best thing to use to get rid of the famous ford whirring noise from the power steering pump?...I want to know what will quiet the noise or eliminate it completely...I remember reading before about using friction modifier to quiet it. If so, where would I find that? Also, I was lookin at power steering fluid and valvoline makes the max life fluid for power steering too...Would this eliminate the noise?

Any suggestions on what to use will be appreciated. I want to get rid of the noise completely if possible(and still have the pump, for you smart allicks;))Thanx

Wes

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Idahoan T-Bird said:
Any suggestions on what to use will be appreciated. I want to get rid of the noise completely if possible(and still have the pump, for you smart allicks;))Thanx
Stop trying to steer, then tha pump isn't being used. :)

Seriously though, I don't know about using friction modifer, I don't know a whole lot about the power steering system or or friction modifier. What i DO know is that friction modifier is a liquid that is generally added to the gear oil in the rearend for the differential. I suppose it could be added to the power steering fluid, but like I say, I'm not sure about that.

Have you tried ust flushing the power steering system? It takes a few bottles of fluid, and some time. But it'll help out, and you won't believe just how nasty your power steering fluid really is. ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They had a post about it from the old version of this...I can't really remember what they said though...I was planning on doing the flush anyways, so for now I'm just gonna flush it with a couple of bottles, then try the Valvoline max life stuff...Hopefully that makes the whirring go down...Thanx for the help

Wes

Average Joe: I'll stop steerin if you wanna pay the bill if I wreck into somethin'..j/k;)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
There is a Tech Article on how to flush your power steering fluid.
You can also use a small turkey baster, and suck it out of the fluid reservoir, and then add new fluid. You will have to do this several times to get it all thru the system.

The cars come from the factory with ATF installed.

You can use Mercon III, or Mercon V, or one of the synthetic fluids.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Why on earth did Ford put ATF in the power steering system?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I have no idea why they used ATF. I first learned of it from a post by Seabass.
He is using Mercon V, whereas I flushed mine with Mercon III.

I am sure that the two fluids would have very similiar properties, and it was more than likely a cost-savings move on Ford's part (my guess - not fact)

·
Registered
58 Posts
powersteering noise

I feel your pain on this. I HATE that damn noise. Every time I am in my shop and I hear that before I see the car I always know its a ford. Its kinda embarassing. Anyways, what I did to reduce the noise was to add a big *** cooler for the powersteering fluid. have you ever seen the size of the factory ps cooler? It is literally the size of your hand. Well, the one I put in is about the size of two keyboards. It also works as my tranny cooler. I also have a new (rebuilt) pump. At first I ran the thing without hardly any fluid in it and I think that might have messed it up. But after I filled it all the way, I didnt have any noise at all! It was so quiet and I could turn the wheel with ease. That lasted for about a week. Now, it is loud again like before. Not sure if I need to bleed it again or add more fluid or what. Tomorrow I think I will try adding fluid to see if it helps.

·
8,239 Posts
here's how to fix it.

The 94-95 tbirds have power steering coolers from the factory right under the front bumper in the center of the car.

The squeeking sound probably means that your ps fluid has broken down and needs to be changed. A turkey baster really isn't the best choice here. Get under the car, and compress the clamp, then drop the hose connected to the Power steering fill tank, you want to direct that hose to a oil drain bucket on the ground. Connect the hose and fill it with cheap power steering fluid. Start the car, and turn the wheels several times to activate the pump. Repeat this until you have gone through 4 bottles of cheap fluid. Now, drain it one more time and put in your choice of Synthetic power steering fluid (i used valvoline), or mercon v transmission fluid.
This cleared up my squeek, and my fluid is as clear as olive oil.

It took me about an hour by myself to do the job, and it is worthwhile, when you see the dark black fluid draining into the pan.
JH

bigcletus94 said:
I feel your pain on this. I HATE that damn noise. Every time I am in my shop and I hear that before I see the car I always know its a ford. Its kinda embarassing. Anyways, what I did to reduce the noise was to add a big *** cooler for the powersteering fluid. have you ever seen the size of the factory ps cooler? It is literally the size of your hand. Well, the one I put in is about the size of two keyboards. It also works as my tranny cooler. I also have a new (rebuilt) pump. At first I ran the thing without hardly any fluid in it and I think that might have messed it up. But after I filled it all the way, I didnt have any noise at all! It was so quiet and I could turn the wheel with ease. That lasted for about a week. Now, it is loud again like before. Not sure if I need to bleed it again or add more fluid or what. Tomorrow I think I will try adding fluid to see if it helps.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Why on earth did Ford put ATF in the power steering system?

Well......a transmission is a really big hydraulic pump that moves gears.......and even though I read the thesis and all the other articles, this is all I really understood. A power steering pump is a hydraulic pump. Why not use the same.
--Craig

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
While you are down there draining the PS fluid, check the condition of the lines and rubber sleeves.

On mine, the rubber sleeve on the line running across the oil pan had rotted and as a result, the stainless steel line had rubbed a hole in the oil pan and developed a crack in the line. A new oil pan is costly to repair.

·
Registered
940 Posts
HanMan said:
Ive never heard it on a tbird or ne other ford car except the exploders. I ALWAYS hear them whining like their gonna fall apart.

All 3.8's have the famous noise, the 4.6l on the other hand don't

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
It's the saganaw Power Steering pump. The bearings start to go and you get that noise. Mine has it too. You can flush the system and put in some thick PS fluid from Auto Zone, forgot the name of it, but it will claim to stop squeaks in PS pumps. This will quiet the screaching sound and slow down the process of your PS pump failing.
All in all, go ahead and replace the stupid PS pump. That is the best thing to do actually. You steering will get harder and harder.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the first owner of my car was a retard...I don't think he ever changed the ps fluid...I've already used 5 quarts of power steering fluid and it barely starting to lose the blackness..I have to use a couple more quarts to get it the way I want...I tried to find the hoseyou guys and the tech aricle was talking about, so I just kep disconnecting the hose from the ps pump itself. The only other spot to unplud the line was in a "no reach" zone...and it would've made a bigger mess than the one I have right now..All of my funnels were too small...:D Anyways after I flush it again, I'm going to try this Valvoline Mx Life stuf to see if its any good...Tell ya the results later...Thanx for the help and advice

Wes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just from my experience, got an 89 Crown Vic (reeeeeal POS) the power steering had the signature Ford moan. I don't know WHAT they had in there before, but I added about 2 oz. of Mercon V left over from the Mark VIII and it's SILENT. I mean totally, 100% silent. And yes, it's spinning and it does provide power assist. :)

Just my .02

·
Registered
192 Posts
My power steering fluid is dark as hell. I just ogt done flushing more then a gallon of ps fluid thorugh it and its still dark. I put some valv max life in there at the end and thats already turned dark. Should i just keep going through the gallons of fluid or should I either replaced the rack or pump. I don't know how to check the pump or the rack there isn't any leaks. The steering is very tight though especially turning right.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I flushed my PS system & added syn. blend fluid & all was quiet, for a week or two then the old noise came back. My Taurus SHO makes the same noise though. I just live with it.

Cup

·
Registered
192 Posts
someone told me that its got something to do with the bushings in the rack going bad. correct me if im wrong. Do you think you would have to change the pump at the same time as the rack?

·
Registered
266 Posts
i have a '90 3.8 and the fluid is black but as for mt mom's 91 3.8 sable it has that famous ford moan but you can't really hear mine's until you open the hood and kinda get close to it. as for mom's i replaced it with a life time warranty and it moan's but not as much as it used to, i guess it's different on some of ford's car's but the worst one is the aerostar

1 - 20 of 22 Posts