TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4R70W just crashed. This '97 Sport cream puff has only 53 K on it, but it's headed south fast.

When it gets warmed up after 30-40 miles, it refuses to go into 3rd, and the shift attempt acts like a brake with an accompanying groan, only solution is neutral or second gear selected via the shifter, to limp home. Also, just after a forced down shift into 2nd and then a lift off to allow an up shift, it tries and suceeds to go back to
2nd (scary!), again a quick shift to neutral, and a pause allows the up shift to 3rd, sometimes, other times it's groan and braking action.

So, I can manually drive it in 2nd, and all the gears are there, 1st, 2nd, (3rd, if I'm lucky) 4th (OD) and Rev. The fluid seems ok, maybe very slightly burnt if at all. Prev owner said there's Mercon V in it. This seems to point to the valve body, no??

Anyway,, my question to all in my area, (Sacramento Ca. rt 50 foothills) and other commenters as well; Before I give it up to Aamco, does anyone in the area know of a good Ford tranny guy, who just might be familiar with the "J" Mod and of course installation of the much needed oil cooler I should have had installed 3 yrs ago?

Also, know anyone in the area who HAS Mercon V and knows how to properly flush, the system and maybe even change the filter. Around here Jiffy Lube is a joke.

Comments or suggestions welcomed, Help....
Vince

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I'm no tranny expert, but it sounds like the 2-3 accumulator piston is getting stuck when it gets hot. I'm not sures your transmission doesn't already have the new improved design, but if it doesn't, there lies your problem. Search the tranny tech links and you'll read about it.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'm no Tranny Expert either but the ONLY way I think you could have this problem on a 97 53k Mile creampuff 4r70w is to not change the Fluid since 1997.... & AAMCO is like one click off Bernie Madoff so you made NO points having them under consideration~!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
No matter how you look at it you have a 13 year old transmission. If they sit too much the seals will dry rot, if they drive constantly they will have high mileage.
Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts